Replacing burned out LED

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1387
How hard would it be to replace an LED on an amp?

Is it a relatively straightforward operation that reasonably savvy person could perform?

Or is there a good chance I could mess it up good?

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 83
What if it's not the LED itself but something in the wiring or in a circuit board.
The main thing is not to force anything or rush anything - taking it step by step and if you get stuck, well, don't move ahead until you get a second opinion.
It begins with opening it up and seeing how easy it is to get to. The repair might mean some fine soldering work...that could be tricky, especially if you're not willing to take it fully apart to get the LED on a table to work on it.
Personally, if you really can't live with the burnt LED, I would open it and assess how easy it is to get to before committing to the job.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1855
Should be fairly easy David. You know if its really bugging you that much you might as well throw it in the garbage. Just mail it to the dump at Nicks, basement, Kingston, Ontario. LOL!!

*That joke was so bad.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 85
Which amp is going into open heart surgery this weekend, Dave?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 336
Got the right tools?
A good, clean low wattage iron?
Solder Sucker? Some Solder Wick (copper braid)?
Correct replacement part?

All the correct disassembly tools?
2 or 3 different screw drivers? A selection of Torx bits? Ball End Allen wrenches, down to say.....050" and the metric equals?
Tweezers? very small Needle nose?

Are you ready to fix a burned trace?

You know, the MTBF for LEDs is very high, so unless this is a very old piece, the chances of it being an LED is very small.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12980

LED's don't go out very often. Lamps do, LED's do not. There could be a deeper problem that is causing the LED to fail. You can replace the LED if you wish and then check for proper operation.

Do you know where you can place your hands and where you should never place your hands inside an amplifier? Replacing an LED is a mechanical job of unsolder and solder. The difficult part comes in getting to the LED which is not always a simple task in a modern audio component. Curiosity then says we should poke around a bit since we have the cover off.

It may not make sense to you now but, if you decide to do this, plan on keeping one hand in your pocket and remove any rings you wear. Power supply capacitors can hold a lethal charge for days after the unit has been unplugged. If you can do the job like that, you should have no serious problems that would require outside assistance.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1413
Thanks for the info guys.

It's one of my 2B's... on closer inspection, the LED is not really burned-out, it's just really, really dim.

These are the really old 2Bs, from 1979.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1856
David- when I first got the 3b, the left light was dimmer than the other. But was still working. When I took the faceplate off it was just not properly angled. I re-positioned it and both are bright as could be. I didn't even have to open up the amp. This could be the case, I hope, with yours as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1416
That's a good idea Nick. It's worth a look, huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1859
Yup, it bugged me too, although the amp sounded perfect. So I know where your coming from. If its on at all, technically I can't see it being a connection issue. If would be either on or off. Perhaps just needs a little tinkering. I hope its an easy fix bud.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7779
Awaiting David's response...this has now become interesting.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1417
I'm afraid the conclusion of this story is going to anti-climatic. I took the amp apart and had a look-see. Jiggled some wires and poke-and-prodded (without electrocuting myself).

In order to remove the LED I'd have to unscrew too much stuff from the chassis of the amp to get at it.

I'll send it into Bryston eventually...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1861
Good call David. As I look at a picture of the old and new 2b's I see that the faceplate and LED location is different that of a 3b/4b. Interesting. I would of did the same thing, send'r'in.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10769
Classic way to fkuc it up Dave, just ask me as I delve into my preamp

bomb's away!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1420
lol Nuck!

Just don't get into the scotch before you break out the tools.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1452
No worries he can't. He needs the tools just to open the scotch.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1422
doh!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10776
laugh it up hairball.

Hair in your ears, your shoulders and who knows where else.

Godbless your sneeze, is that hair there?!?

Ya mon.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1453
Whoops, he got into the scotch...

and for what reason might you Mr. Nuck, be going into your pre-amp anyways? You know you can't tube roll it right????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10777
The display has gone all wonky, but I have put it off until I come back next.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us