BTW, Regarding The Jamo c607

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 177
I saw something in the archives where someone asked about these speakers and how they compared to the Monitor Audio speakers. Well, let's just say the thread brokedown into something other than speaker discussion.

While I didn't get a the chance to compare the c607 to the MA speakers, I can tell you this....

These c607 speakers are one hell of speaker at their price point!!

Hell, they're a nice speaker, period.

The c605 pales in comparison.

I found placing them 18-24 inches off the backwall and being driven by my Butler TDB 2250; they really had very musical, smooth and well-balanced presentation,. Bass was deep, tight, very tuneful and with just the right amount of punch/dynamic. Not over done or exaggerated.

Mid-range was smooth, sweet and engulfing; without being too much in my face. Highs were very nice. Equally smooth without any harshness.

With the Butler amp, Rega Saturn and VA SA-T1 the presentation was delivering some nice rays of slight warmth, yet, also nicely detailed.

A very musically pleasing and rewarding speaker; for a real nice price.

I'm trying to get my hands on a pair of Jamo c807, so I can check them out.

What sucks is that the Jamo C80 Concert Series has been discontinued here in the USA. So tracking down these bad boys will be a project.

I have the c803 Bookshelf speakers on the way, which I was able to get for a real nice price. Should arrive here tomorrow.

The c607 will be going in my Family Room where I spend most of my time playing with my kids, listening to music (with and without my kids when I'm cleaning up or doing stuff in the kitchen), watching digital cable TV or watching DVD with the kids or my DVD movies on the 32" Tube TV.

I will be using the Jamo C60 CEN and c603's for the rear speakers.

I have to say, Jamo makes some nice speakers. Wish I had discovered them sooner.

P.S. Jamo apparently has a new line coming over the next 8-10 months to replace the C80 Series. Don't know anything about it, but should be interesting to see what they do and what direction they go in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
I also wanted to mention (had it on mind for the OP, but was distracted by work), that the c607 do not require a toe-in.

In fact Jamo instructs to NOT toe-in these speakers. They were designed to work beautifully with no toe-in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
The Jamo c803 Bookshelves arrived late yesterday afternoon. No damage and the box in fine shape, via UPS. And they say miracles don't happen, anymore.

These bookshelf speakers are......BIG.

I didn't realize the size, depth and girth of these puppies. They are BIG.

The Cabs are like friggin' rocks. Extremely solid and dense. These things are built like tanks.

The drivers are cool looking. Very nice.

No listening impressions, yet. I was only able to set them up and then didn't have time to play them in, it was too late. I'll be playing them in for the next several days, before sitting down for music listening.

Build quality very impressive. Very attractive speakers, to my tastes.

Now to see how they sound...........

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10749
Pour a scotch and let us know mate!

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
These Jamo C803's are very nice speakers.

Still haven't had enough free time to really sit back and pile on the hours of playing them. But after roughly 30-40 hours, I'm really enjoying these babies!

Clear, smooth and no annoying, nasty treble problems. Bass is surprisingly good for bookshleves. But the require at least 20 inches off the back wall, because they are rear ported.

They are BIG bookshelf speakers. Like said in that other post, they surprise you with their sheer bulk.

Can't wait to really pile on the musc hours and see where they go.

P.S. The Jamo C607 are one hell of a bargain! You'll be hard-pressed to beat these bad boys, considering their price point and performance.

Perfect speaker for the family room, where they get a daily dose of one/two hours of kidscartoons, cable TV (including hockey games/sports as well as TV shows) or kids DVDs; and then music or adult-orientated TV on and off, through out the rest of the day.

Nice!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7890
Thanks for the info on a speaker we just don't hear enough about NMT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Okay, I have to make an update to my Jamo C607 comments. With a few amendments and elaborations.

After auditioning the Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands and loving them. I came to the conclusion that I really hadn't given my Jamo C607's more of a fair shake.

Nor had I taken the time to let them burn-in, spend some extensive time listening to them and really put them to the test. I basically designated them to the family room role, made a decent effort in setting them up (placement and so forth); played them in for roughly 20-30 hours and then listened for a bit.

Not really enough to truely wrap my head around their capabilities.

I decided to truely give my Jamo C607 more of chance. So I did. I've spent the last five days listening to the C607 floorstanders and the C603 bookshelves. Each logging at least 7-8 hours a day. From 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM; in two seperate systems in my house.

Everything I said in my first post still stands. These are extraordinarily listenable, sweet sounding and musical speakers.

But something has surprised me with the C607. They have this wonderful way with dynamics, bass depth and punch, as well with timbre.

Everything is so smooth and natural with a slight touch of nice warmth.

When I audtitioned the Mozart Grands, I took some notes (as I usually do). Upon reading my notes I remembered the problem the Mozart Grands had with the India.Arie Acoustic Soul album (CD).

Youe see, the only true negative I came away with on the Mozart Grands, was that they failed misrably with strong, low bass material.

The song "Video" and " Brown Skin" gave the Mozart Grands lots of problems. I'm being kind. Because as much as I love the Mozarts for all that they do so very well and so very sweet; the song "Video" destroyed the Mozarts.

The Mozarts crumbled into a convoluted mess of distortion, incoherency and rumble. I'm talking music here, not a movie (HT). Even my friend who was there for the audition (and she loved the Mozarts as much as I do), admits that my using the word "destroyed" is not an exaggeration or me being overly dramatic.

The Jamo C607's handled the song "Video" with no problems whatsoever. In fact they handled it with a control, coherence and stability that spoke of this song as being nothing more than routine.... standard performance ....a " wake me up when you have a real challenge " ....type of presentation.

They didn't break a sweat.

But here's the thing. Every instrument, especially on the better recordings, mixes and masterings; has this absolutely wondeful, so natural instrument sound to it. Bass guitars sound fantastic. The detail is just so, that you can visualize the finger picking and kind of bass riff the bass player is executing.

You can hear the guitars and visualize the picking technique or harmonics the guitarist is executing. It's nice detail without sound hard, edgie, cold, sterile or in your face.

It's a detail that captures the essence, tone and warmth of the instrument. Beautiful.

The pacing/timing.....groove....swing is outstanding! I love to boogie....and the C607...well, they hit you with the boogie fever.

I am completely thrown and blown away by these Jamo speakers!!!!

They are so well-balanced.....so well built and these speakers just sing of a quality design and quality materials.

Seriously, these speakers are SILLY good.

What they have done is comepletely changed my mind and won my heart (and ears/brain). I truely have no desire to pursue the Mozarts, anymore.

Outside of the Mozarts first class real wood veneer cabinet/finish; they have nothing on the Jamo C607. Nothing.

The C607's have a vinyl laminate finish which in my opinion is very nice for what it is. It looks rather convincing.

But the build quality is unbelievable!

The cabs are a heavy 50+ lbs each. Not 45 lbs. The cabs are as solid a cab as I have seen. This is a high-quality speaker by any definition. Especially in terms of sound and overall build.

By the way, the Jamo C603 bookshelves also had no problem whatsoever with the India.Arie album. Didn't even break a sweat. These are some amazing bookshelf speakers.

And at their price point that's mind-blowing. They have similar traits as the C607, but the C607 overall does everything better.

Yes, they are equally a silly good speaker.

I know some may laugh, or balk, or want to chastize me for what I have said.

I know some will refuse to believe a Jamo C607 can be whoop the Mozart Grands rearend. But that's okay.

Believe what you choose. Or go audition and listen for yourself.

When it comes to my own personal listening preferences, my tastes ....my ears; there's no need to buy a pair of $2,800.00 VA Mozart Grands.

But I do have a need for another pair of floorstanders in the house. That's why I was auditioning the Mozarts.

Another pair of C607 will be the answer. Or musical salvation

CDs used for music listening:

India.Arie- Acoustic Soul

Peter White- Glow

Eagles- Greatest Hits (DCC Remaster)

Ray Brown Trio- Soular Energy

The Diaz Trio and Julian Gray (Guitar)- Paganini: Music for Strings and Guitar

Benny Carter- Jazz Giant (Gold CD)

Gene Ammons- Gentle Jug

Dixie Chicks- Home

Dixie Chicks- Wide Open Spaces

Garth Brooks- (self -titled)

Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue

Marvelous 3- Hey! Album

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers- (self-titled)

Govi- Guitar Odyssey

Govi- Your Lingering Touch

Pearl Jam- No Code

The Godz- (self-titled)

UFO- Strangers In The Night

Pure Funk- Compilation of 70s Funk

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7994
Well done NMT!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Thank you, Art.

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
The following is a constructed (from a few posts on another forum) and new comments, in a half a**ed attempt to review the Jamo C803 and some more shameless praise for the Jamo C603 and C607

No copyright's were violated and no small bunnies were injured

Well, I have been severely addicted to my Jamo C607 and C603, for the last three months. I just couldn't tear myself away from them, to give my Jamo C803 bookshelf speakers their opportunity.

As most of you know by now, my main priorities in speakers are always musicality, the ability to convey and connect emotionally, passion, timbre, melody and the ability for long, pleasantly satisfying listening.

And my speakers have to be good with all kinds of music, because I run the ecletic spectrum of all kinds of music.

And these Jamo C603 and C607 speakers definitely deliver on every point, here.

They do have a slight warmth (but never too warm), a nice touch of sweetness, beautiful smoothness and very nice detail; without ever sounding harsh, irritating, fatiguing or tiresome.

The music just flows and they are so poised, so coherent and so stable. These drivers are really something else.

In terms of sound .......they are amazingly good speakers at just about any cost.

Seriously, they are highly addictive and extremely hard to remove from my system, for the C803.

Okay, so I've been playing these Jamo C 803 speakers for about two weeks, now. They 've been logging at least 5 hours a day. On most days, they've been logging a good 7-8 hours.

I'm going to try and convey how these C803 sound on their own and compared to their little brothers, the C603.

First and foremost, the C803 are very musical, smooth and pleasurable for long listening.

They are a little more polite or laid back than the C603. But we're talking a slight difference there. Nothing earth-shattering.

Much like the C603, these C803 handle low bass frequencies quite well and I have yet been able to make them sweat. They handle everything with poise, coherency, stability and smoothness. Unless the recording is rough, at which point you'll get a presentation that's a little rougher.

Their off-axis dispersion is absolutely amazing!!!

I tried the set up with them facing straight out and with just a slight toe-in. I mean very slight. One hair's worth. Okay, maybe two hair's worth

Any one in front of these speakers gets a full presentation and moving one's head (or body) to the left or right yields no real differences. So there's no Sweet Spot Exclusivity. But what's even more impressive is how they sound if your literally standing to either side of these speakers. I mean right next to them. The sound is so full and coherent.

More impressive, is the sound in other rooms. Have to run to the kitchen? Bathroom? Pick a room, the sound just travels through out the house and remains very coherent and rather full, all things considered. I've never had any other bookshelf speakers (except the C 603 ) capable of doing that. And the C 803 do it a little better than the C 603.

The C603, when you stand directly to the side of their cabs, sound a little boxy. When I'm in front of them I notice no boxiness. Only positioned directly to their side. The C 603 also excell at dispersion, but the C 803 are just a bit better. No boxiness sound from the C803, no matter where you're located.

Dynamically speaking they are very good with the punch, kick and crescendos. But definitely not the ultimate in slam-to-the-gut dynamics.

They also have this wonderful sense of scale.

Which for my tastes, is perfect.

So far, I really love these C803.

I still love the C603, though. For their price, build and performance. Not to mention their sweet, organic presentation and musicality; it's hard to beat.

The C803 are a more expensive bookshelf and the improvements are noticable. But they lack a certain something the C603 bring to the table.

Not really for worse, just a little different.

What's better would be up to each individual's ears, personal preferences and bank account.

As you can tell I've become a huge fan and lover of these Jamo C60 and C80 series speakers. I have a pair of Jamo C807 (in the dark apple finish) coming and they should be here some time over the next two weeks. I'm also going to try and get a pair of Jamo C809's, to try out, if finances permit.

But the Jamo C607 and C603 aren't going anywhere!! These babies have captured my ears/heart and have earned their place in one of my systems.

I'm selling off all of my other speakers and keeping strictly Jamo speakers and my Wharfedale Opus 2 (and Opus Center Channel).

And no, I haven't lost my mind

Well, maybe.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8392
I enjoyed that NMT. I've gained new respect for the Jamo's. We used to have a dealer right here in Albany...now we don't have any dealers. Keep listening and telling us the tale of many Jamo's...lol!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11253
Very good NMT, a worthy assessment of an undersold speaker line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
The Jamo C807 are in the house!!!

They arrived late Friday afternoon, but I had to wait for my buddy to come over and help me on Saturday; as I'm still recovering from the injuries, from the car accident in December.

I'm not going to really evaluate them till they break-in/burn-in for a good 40-50 hours.

They have about 18-20 hours on them, thus far.

Right now, they are singing Maurice Gendron's Bach Cello Suites, in the back room. I drop in for a few minutes of listening, when I get a moment from work.....Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Finish is beautiful. A step or two up from the C60 Series (C603 and C607). But I believe it's also a laminate. A really nice, higher quality laminate. But a laminate, nonetheless.

At 39.6 inches tall, 9.6 inches wide and 16 inches deep; each C807 tower is 66 lbs. Heavy mofos. These cabinets are like rocks. Solid!!

More to come............

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8782
Very cool NMT...waitin' for the listening tests.

Username: Wizard11

Post Number: 1
I have also been looking at the Jamo 607's. I currently have the E875's which I really like, but want to expand into the lounge room and set up a separate system.

What I need to know is what amp is required to run these babies. What would the minimum specs be o get the most out of them. Any suggestions?

I currently run an OnkyoSR602 (85w x 6channels) but want something more powerful. I listen to music only so will consider 2ch amps as well.

I am new to the forum and am fairly inexperienced in this area.

Cheers

Post Number: 2
Test

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8878

Post Number: 3
Thanks Art for your contribution.

I meant to say testes, testes, 1....2....1....2

Any idea on what type of amp other than the Butler to drive the C607's? Yourself or NMT?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11556
How were the C607's powered when you heard them Wizman?

Post Number: 4
Hi Nuck

I havent auditioned the C607's yet and unfortunately cant find anyone where I live that has them in stock. I can buy them online at the moment for a reasonable sum (AUD$1,199 new RRP $1,899) and given I am happy with my E875 Jamo speakers so far, I wasnt going to bother with the C607's, I know they will be better and have heard excellent reviews.

So, before I buy, I wanted to know approx costs for an amp that would compliment them. So which amp would be the best?? NMT has a 300w pc tube amp but I dont know what that converts to in watts RMS for transister amps. I dont want an amp that underpowers the speaker, I want the max out of them. I am hearing different manufacturers rate their amps differently, eg Japan rate in JEITA, Americans NTC and European DIN. Talk about confusing.

I also acknowledge I have to consider total distortion and impedance, sensitivity etc, and would also need some sort of tone control (bass, treble, maybe equalizer) to adjust to me room size (7mx5m).

I was hoping to skip all the confusion and have someone with audiophile knowledge provide a few tips, hence my recent quest on the internet.

So far am looking at Marantz, Onkyo, NAD.

I live in Australia and prefer something locally sold for warranty reasons.

Cheers

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8881
If you meant to say testes then you missed by a bit there wiz a s s...lol!

If you've looked at the website for Jamo then you probably already know the power requirements for the speakers. So what is it you are really asking?

You state that you want the max out of the speakers, are you prepared to spend for the max? Are you willing to buy Bryston or Mac mono block power amps. Probably not, so if what you are really asking is will your receiver drive the speakers...yes it will.

Switching from one mass market AVR to another will only likely change the sound but won't improve it. If you want to look at what will get more from the speakers, though not likely the most, then look at a good integrated amp. Lots of good brands to choose from and you might even have some available locally.

Post Number: 5
Cheers Art

1 or 2 testes was my shot at a joke. Not that funny hey.

Integrated amps. Mmmm, lets see. I have never heard of Bryston or Mac, how about Cambridge Audio? The 840A is an integrated amp 2 channel, 120w in to 8ohns, 200w in to 4onms. The c607's are 6ohms at 150/220 s/term l/term power so I guess it would suit?

Anyway, I'll keep looking around for an integrated. maybe check out the amp section of this forum

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1755
"I have never heard of Bryston or Mac,"

You had to put the word "of" in there!

That's like saying you've not heard of Mercedes and BMW. Not only to you need to learn about them, try and go listen to some McIntosh and Bryston gear.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8883
The NAD's have tone controls and I believe you stated that you are interested in those.

Cambridge makes a nice amp however at the price of the 840 I would probably be looking at SimAudio or Arcam. What's available where you live?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8884
Relative to Mac and Bryston....what Mike said x 2!

However Simaudio and Arcam also make dynamite integrateds. Try to get out and listen to some.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Sorry guys, just saw this today.

The C607 are a three way design and are rated at....

Sensitivity .......89 ( (db -2.8V/ 1m)

Impedence.......6 ohm

They are not really a hard load to drive.

They're rated Power Handling is a very conservative long term 150 watts and short term 220 watts.

But I can tell you from personal experience they can handle a 250 watt...300 watt amp with no problems whatsover.

I don't blast music at ear-bleeding levels. Typically, at just a good mid-level volume, with enough volume to get nice punch. So it's not like the speakers are actually taking a full, consistent 250...to 300 watts...all the time.

But occasionally I will kick it up a little higher. The C607 have handled it all with flair.

I would at least want to feed them 100 -125 watts of quality power. They sound wonderful.

But if you decide to feed them a bit more power, they will eagerly eat it up and sing. You'll see a big smile across the front baffle of the C607

I don't really know what you're willing spend on an amp, but I will make a few suggestions.

Firstly, I think you'll do fine with an Arcam amp or one of their better Intergrated amps.

But maybe you can also audition or consider some of these......

Rega Exon 3 monoblocks. From personal experience, I can tell you this is a awesome match.

If you want to try some tube stuff....

The Vincent SV-236 (or the SV-236 MKII) Hybrid Tube Intergrated amp. This amp is awesome and it has plenty of power. It uses three 12AX7 tubes and you can always play around with tube rolling different kinds of 12AX7's. Sweet, reliable, well designed amp.

You can also try some of these.....

the Parasound Halo A23 ...or Halo A21. Or the Parasound Classic Model 2250.....or Classic Model 2125.

Or the Vincent SP-331 (or MK2 version) amp. Or the Vincent 226 MK2 hybrid Intergrated.

I don't have any experience with the Cambridge amps, so I can't say onew way or the other how they'll sound and work with the C607's.

Of course a Bryston woulod work beautifully. All depends on your financial capabilities and what sound you prefer.

If you prefer a warmer sound, try the Vincent SV-236 ....or the Rega Exon 3's.

More neutral sound? Try the Parasound, Bryston or the Vincent SV-226.

Hope this helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
Oh I forgot....

The NAD amps should be just fine. An amp like the C272 should crank those C607's.

And yeah, I'm a treble and bass control guy, too. Must have.....in my book.

Post Number: 6
Thanks everyone.

I have noted all brands and will have to visit some of the bigger hi-fi stores in Queenslands capital Brisbane as the ones where I live I think only stock Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, Denon and Nad (probably a few others as well but not half the ones listed by yourselves).

So I will see what bings over the next week or so.

By the way NMT, is AUD $1,199 a good price for the C607's? That would be approx USD$780 at current AUD/USD exchange rate (65c)?

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2027
Wiz - where do you live? I'm on the Gold Coast (out back a bit) and I find there's not much here in the way of real hifi. There used to be but now the dealers are only making money on Home theater and in house wiring. Stereo Supplies, Toma Hi Fi in Tweed Heads, and Southport Hifi (NAD) are about it now.

In Brisbane David at Caxton Audio in Paddington is worth talking with, he has a lot of high end stuff as well as NAD, Arcam, Quad, Naim etc.

http://www.caxtonaudio.com.au

NmyTree

Great reviews - make me want to chuck my Quads LOL!

M.R.

Post Number: 7
MR, I'm on the Goldie as well, Benowa. Went to Southport Hi Fi last week but was closed (for lunch maybe?). I know of Toma but havent got there yet.

I'm thinking Todds Hi Fi at Tingalpa and will note the one at Paddington.

Went to Stereo Supplies at Bundall but only Rotel and Denon.

Maybe I will get up there next week sometime, thanks for the link.

Cheers

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2029
Wizman,
I forgot David Blackmore at Gold Coast Hifi in Davenport St. Great guy and good to deal with - but not a lot of hifi stuff anymore. He does deal in Cambridge Audio and Denon. Good Luck with it all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Wizman, that's a very good price for the Jamo C607's. Not much more than what I paid, here in the USA.

M.R.

I lived with the Quad 22L for almost two years. They are real nice speakers. I also had the 12L for a while

But in all honesty, I like the Jamo C607 much better than the 22L, in every aspect. As well for the C603 over the 12L.

But that's just my personal taste and preference. Not a knock on the Quads.

I get a lot of skepticism from people over these Jamo speaker, that I have been talking about. Well, let's be honest, I've been gushing over the C607, C603 and C803. And the C807 haven't helped any, in clogging the gush (as you guys will see over the next week or so).

I get that skepticism both with on-line friends in these type of forums and friends in the physical world.

But I can tell you that every one of the skeptics who have come over to my house and spent a few hours listening to these Jamo speakers; all leave here completely won over by them.

Two of my friends tried desperately to find fault with the C607 and C807. I mean, they were reaching for anything to criticize these speakers.

When all was said and done, the only criticism they could realistically cling to, was the fact these Jamo's don't have real wood veeners.

As you can see, they had to settle for a knock against these speaker's finish

Never the sound, the quality design and high quality performance. Never. They couldn't.

Yesterday I put in Acoustic Alchemy's Against The Grain CD, in my Rega Saturn and through my Jamo C807.

I sat down to listen.

The album's opening track...the title track...." Against The Grain " completely floored me.

The song starts out with some very well recorded opening Grand Piano. Well, I felt like the piano was sitting in front of me.

For those (who like me) have not only been in the live presence of a fine Grand Piano being played, but have also tickled the ivories...with our own fingers; you all know what I'm talking about.

The Grand Piano has an incredible presence and musicality. The resonance..the timbre......the sustain of notes.......is musical heaven.

Unfortuantely, so many recordings don't capture those elements and sadly, so many speakers and electronics fail to convey those elements successfully.

These C807's grabbed me by the hand and took me into the Grand Piano. Absolutely wonderful!!!!

The C607's? Well, you'd be surprised at how almost identical the C607 sound, to the much more expensive C807; in terms of sound quality......timbre.....sustain of notes ....instrument resonance and note decay.

We're talking miniscule .....hardly audible differences. You have to really focus and listen intently to find the differences. Which is not my usual method of listening. I typically just like to lay back, relax and listen to the music as a whole; rather than over analyze, pick apart and disect everything.

I only do it for the purpose of finding the speakers that fit my systems and my personal preferences and tastes.

As most of you know, I'm exactly the most technically-inclined guy around.

You guys and someone like Jan, know a hell of a lot more than I will ever know (or care to know); in the technical aspects of this hobby.

I'm a heart and ears music listener, probably my only strong suit in this hobby

Oh, and probably the fact that I know what I like in terms of sound and I seem to be pretty good at auditioning, evaluating and picking through to find components and speakers that deliver the sound I, as an individual....love and prefer.

That's it, I think

I actually like the C607 a wee-bit better in some aspects, compared to the C807. Probably because the C607's are a three-way design and I have always been a three-way design guy.

My ears seem to prefer the bass response and overall balance of a three way design.

Don't get me wrong, I love these C807's. And they do have a few attributes up on the C607. But again, we're talking teeny, weeny, barely noticable differences.

And here I go again. Sheesh, I just can't helo myself. Sorry to run on, again.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2031
It sure sounds like they are worth listening to. The Jamos have not had a very good 'audiophile' reputation here, but after what you say that could well change. However, my Quads will be staying with me for some time to come and I'm not that unhappy about the prospect.

Post Number: 8
Thanks NMT

I need to ask what your set up is with the C607's. I understand you are using the Butler 2250, is that a 2 channel amp? If not, are you using any other speakers in the setup or is it purely 2 speaker driven. Do you have/use a subwoofer? If so, any real benefit (I know the C607's go to 32hz)

If I get a multichannel integrated amp, say a 5.1, would there be any benefit setting up speakers at rear to enhance the listening pleasure?

Dumb questions I know, but great if you could let me know your setup.

My 2 rooms I want to listen in are both around 7 x 6metres, not fully enclosed with some glass. Plus only used for music.

Cheers in advance.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8906
I just found out that I have 4 Jamo dealers within a hundred miles of me. I'll have to give them another listen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
Hi Wizman.

The Butler TDB 2250 is a two channel amp and I have driven the C607 with it.

I also have the Butler TDB 5150 which is a five channel amp and that's what currently drives my C607.

My C607 are used in the family room, where most of our family orientated music listening and TV watching occurs.

C607 for front Left and Right channels. The C60 Center Channel and one of my pair of C603 for rears. No subwoofer.

I typically use only the two channel configuration for music. I have tried the listening to music with all five channels, but I'm not really much into the surround sound thing for music.

That's just my personal preference/taste.

I can't begin to speculate as whether you will like it ...prefer it.....or not.

A lot of other people enjoy surround sound for music. I guess at heart, I'm a two channel guy.

The family room system rarely sees anything that would require a subwoofer.

Mostly, we listen to music, work on puzzles, the kids draw and play with their toys in there and we soend time together as a family.

Most of the video content is kid's stuff with some adult TV shows like House M.D., Supernatural, Frasier, Married With Children, Sienfeld, Friends, Get Smart, Hogans Heros, Lucy ...etc, when the kids go to sleep.

None of those shows really have anything in the way of low bass frequencies that would really challenge the C607.

Although, I have watched Batman: Dark Knight and several other movies in there, and the C607 had absolutley no problems handling those movies without a subwoofer. But I try not to make a habit of it.

Even a movies like Finding Nemo I take to the true HT system, where my Wharfedale Opus reside (two subwoofers in there).

For an all music system, I can't imagine you'll need subwoofers. The C607 handle the bass/low frequencies very well, without breaking a sweat or showing any sign of stress.

Just be cautious of what material you play through them. If you plan to watch a lot of movies that have extremely low frequencies, you will want to add subwoofers.

Or if you listen to pipe organ music.

P.S. I would want to hang thick curtains over any glass windows, it helps room acoustics.

Post Number: 9
NMT

What are your thoughts on the C605's? The C607's arent available for that price I mentioned before. Have you road tested the C605's and compared to the C607's?

I notice a small dfference in range, down to 37Mhz instead of 32Mhz. Also wattage for the C605's a little less.

Cheers

Wiz

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Wizman,

I've never heard the C605 so I can't comment or help you out with them. I simply don't know.

The only thing I can say is that depending on the material you'll be playing through the C605, you may or may not need a subwoofer. Depends on what you'll be playing through them.

Just two channel music, with rock, pop and so forth; I would think you'll be fine without a sub.

Post Number: 10
I went ahead and bought the C 605's, nice price of AUD$899. They are on their way and will have them next week.

If I get the right amp to drive them, I agree, I probably wont need a sub.

I am going to audition them with both NAD C320BEE and Cambridge Audio A740. On ebay I can get my hands on a used NADC372 and Marantz PM7200, the latter less powerful but probably sufficient enough to drive. Marantz and Jamo often team together with their products in packages so I assume their product characteristics complement each other, we will see.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
An update on the C807 and C607 comparison:

After spending more time living with the C807 and doing comparisons with the C607; I have to say......The C807 are the better speaker.

I made a few more adjustments in positioning ........and wow!

The bass response of the C807 is so powerful.....so amazingly strong; while retaining an absolute musicality.

Ultimately, the C807 (it's drivers, design and sum of it's parts) presents the music in bit more palpable, three-dimensional manner.

Instruments (Cellos, Guitars, vocals, drums, violins, organs, pianos...etc) have such a wonderful presence and timbre. It's as if I could reach out and touch the instrument...as if it's being played right in front of me.

Pianos sound so realistic ...so right (especially whent the recording was done well).

The highs and midrange are equally beautiful with their smoothness and three-dimensional presence. While all frequencies retain that ever so slight touch of warmth.

Jamo's ad line for the C807's uses the word "melodic" and when I first read that I was bit skeptical. As I always am of advertising lines and sales pitches.

But I have to say, the C807's are indeed so beautifully musical....melodic. Very cohesive.

Retaining the melody of the music and the groove, has always been something that I strived for. Musicality, warmth and the ability to play all kinds (and generas) of music and be forgiving enough of the bad recordings, so that the music is still enjoyable.

I have gone through a lot of gear in the last eight years because some where along the line, some gear loses that melody and the groove becomes disjointed.

Both the C807's and C607's exceed my preferences.

Note:

This in no way diminishes the C607's. The C607 have many of the attributes mentioned above, as the C807 do. The C607 have the musicality, timbre, slight warmth, fantastic bass ...etc.

But the C807 has a much more complete and palpable presence than the C607.

At the C607's price point, they are unbelievable!!! And truely squash some speakers that literally cost over four times more. First-hand experience has thought me that.

These C807's ......yeah, they're something special.

Username: Broovwa

Post Number: 1
Guys, I have a question about a model of these speakers that has not been mentioned so far, the C601s.... the youngest brother.

I bought a pair of these a while back to use as a pair of surrounds for my home theatre. For this application they worked great... i didnt have any problems with the sound that they produced... was very happy.

Just recently, ive purchased a new Rotel integrated amp for my study, and decided to try these speakers in the study for a little while to handle 2 channel music. I know the bass response is only down to 65hz, but thats fine for me in the study.

Now, when i hooked them up to the new amp, they seriously sounded like crap... top end had minimal sizzle, and the mids sounded flat, frumpy and lifeless. Overall, a really poor sound.

I instantly thought the amp (which was second hand) must be screwed... so i grabbed an old pair of wharfedale valdus 400s and hooked them up. WOW, the difference between the two sets of speakers was incredible, and these wharfedales are not great speakers.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? What would happen if there are wiring issues inside?

I'm going to have a bit more of a play tonight and see if i can figure it out, but it seems really odd that the treble is the main freqs to suffer. The tweeter is the same throughout each speaker in the series right?

Cheers,

Brad.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3305
If you've made sure your connections weren't at fault (ie out of phase), try playing with speaker and listening chair placement. Every speaker has its own optimum placement. Also make sure you're using the proper stands.

A good way to make sure nothing is physically wrong with the speakers would be to connect them as the fronts in the main system. If you have the same problems everywhere, either there's something wrong with the speaker, it really does sound bad, or its just not the right speaker for you.

Post Number: 2
Yeah, i understand everything you've mentioned, but i'm not overly picky with my speakers (i listen to music on some old computer speakers while im painting), so i'm positive that its not my opinion of the speakers sounding bad. In fact, the computer speakers mentioned above sound better than these did last night.

With the wraps that this series of speakers is getting on this forum, id expect that it would be at least satisfactory to my ears. I'll have to double check the speaker cable, and the connections again... then play with the placement.

At the moment, they are not mounted on any stands or anything... just on the desk. But surely that isnt making this big a difference.

Thanks for your reply though. much appreciated.

Brad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Brad, I don't have the C601 and I've never heard them. So I don't know.

Maybe they're just the crappiest speaker in the Series.

Or maybe there's something wrong, internally.

What about placement?

Where exactly did you have them located in your Study?

On stands?

Were they up against a wall on a shelf?

Is there enough space between them and the backwall?

How far apart are the two C601 and is there anything (furniture, TV ....whatever) between them, that sticks out further than the front baffles of the C601?

Another thing.......I know most people in this hobby are aware of this. But I come across a few people who made this mistake....so

Just for informational purposes, your right speaker should be the Right side from the speaker's/TV's perspective, facing you.

And when you hook the speaker wire from your amp, it should be "Right" output/speakerwire to that speaker.

Your Left speaker should be ......the Left side from the speaker's/TV's perspective, facing you. And when you hook the speaker wire from your amp, it should be "Left" output/speakerwire to that speaker.

You have to determine Left and Right from the speaker's/TV's perspective, facing you. Not from your prespective in the listening/viewing postion, facing the speakers and TV.

I have a friend who made that exact mistake and his soundstage and overall sound was all messed up and never sounded good. Until I discovered he had the Left and Right mixed up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Oh and one more thing, Brad.

The C601's are a 6 ohm 86db Sensitivity speaker.

The Wharfedale VALDUS 400's are a 8 ohm 92db sensitivity speaker (as well as being a floorstander with two 8" woofers).

I'm not sure what Rotel integrated you have, but it is a posiibility the C601's need more power than what the Rotel can deliver.

The C601's are not very efficient and with their small cabs and small drivers; they designed to eat more power ....in order to be able to get more bass out of them.

Comparing them to what the Wharfedale VALDUS 400's sounded like, is a bad comparison. Those two models aren't even remotely similar.

Post Number: 3
i understand its not a great comparison, i wasnt comparing them to see which is the better speaker. It was more of a test to see if the amp was functioning properly, as it is new (but second hand). It was more of a side note that the speakers sounded so different in terms of quality.

The rotel is only a small RA-04, but from what ive read about it, the 40 watts that it does push out should be plenty for a speaker with a sensitivity of 86db.

I will be testing the Jamos on my multichannel receiver tonight in the front position to see how they go.... I guess its just a matter of trial and error now to see if its just my ears hating on the Jamos, or if there is something wrong with them.

Thanks for your ideas.

Brad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
You're Welcome.

I could very well be that the C601's are simply not your cup of tea.

Or maybe they're just a bad match with that Rotel Integrated.

I'm interested in seeing what happens when you hook them up to your Receiver, tonight.

I mean, the Jamo's do have a slight polite presentation (compared to a lot of other speakers) and they do have a slight touch of warmth...... It's just that......frumpy and dull doesn't reflect the sound of the Jamo speakers I have.

But then again, we all hear differently and I have never heard the C601.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3306
NMT - Were you referring to right and left in a multichannel system, or in a 2 channel system? I can't imagine that making any difference in a 2 channel.

Brad,

One more thing to try out - Reverse the polarity of the speakers. By this I mean switch the + and - on the speaker, but not the amp. Make sure you do this on both speakers.

It may sound stupid, but it may be what you need. Some speakers are wired out of phase, either intentionally or unintentionally. I've read somewhere that there's a way to check proper speaker polarity by connecting a 9v battery to the speaker terminals, but can't remember where or exactly how. Maybe one is internally wired in phase and one isn't?

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Hi Stu.

I was refering to two channel.

All I can tell you is that several times I have come across this with friends (in the physical world, hands on experience) and recently with someone on another forum and the sound was bad and out of whack.

Once the Right and Left was corrected; the speakers sounded great. I personally heard the difference.

The guy on that other forum said that it fixed his problem. His system sounded real good afterwards. His words.

Made a difference in those circumstances..

Post Number: 4
OK guys, got it all sorted, and its a little embarrassing...

I hooked the Jamo C601s to the Rotel making sure that all the cabling was correct (phasing and connections), and the same happened again... muddiness.

I moved them into my lounge room, and hooked them up to my older technics 5.1 DD/DTS receiver as the B speaker. Continued to crank some music, and A/Bed them with my Wharfedale fronts.

Now, they sounded great! Everything was crisp and punchy. Even though they are small boxes, the bass response is tight and prominent for rock and funk.

Now, what is the f'ing problem with the Rotel i ask?

Well, i took the Jamos back into the study and rehooked them up. Jumped onto the computer and opened up the sound cards control panel. I didn't think to look in their before now... anyway, the equalizer had been played with and there was a decent increase in freqs between like 50-400hz.... i reset the eq and the speakers came to life again. No wonder the speakers were sounding muddy as. And combining that with the lower sensitivity of the Jamos, causing a drop in volume (compared to the wharfedales).... i thought they were broken.

I figure because the wharfedales have such a poor bass response, this eq setting wasnt destroying their sound, mereley bringing the levels up a little.

Anyway guys, all is fixed. Thanks for the help. I feel a little stupid..... but i hadnt used this computer for like 8 months, so i had no idea there would be a stupid eq setting in there. I'll know to test with a normal cd/dvd player next time.

and NMT,
I'm not sure i understand how reversing the speakers can affect a 2 channel system? Sounds like youve had positive results... but i'm just unsure how this works.

Cheers guys,

Brad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
Me either, Brad.

I have no idea why or how.

I just know that it has corrected whacked out sound on several people's systems.

Heard the difference with my own ears, as it happened and immediately after changing the speaker cables around.

It was very noticable. Went from sounding like a convoluted mess, to sounding right.

Glad you got your problem worked out!! Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi All

Well done Brad on sorting your issue. I was reading your posts yesterday and found it odd (like NMT) that the Jamo's were not performing. I have heard the C601's in a store demo with a little Marantz 30watt amp/cd combo and they sounded great.

I purchased the C605's some weeks ago and auditioned them with a number of amps, including the Rotel RA-06. They sounded fine but not as good as the Cambridge Audio or Marantz which were smoother and had deeper bass. I thought the Jamo/Rotel combo may have been what was bugging you - ie too bright on the upper range.

NMT - I must say thanks for your review on the Concert Series and advice on a suitable amp. I ended up going with a Marantz PM7003, a fairly new model in their Pure Audio range. It is only 70watts/ch RMS but sweet sounding for my ears, and definitely loud enough. The wife and the kids love it, we now use the loungeroom a lot more which is the result I wanted.

I was a bit restricted with cash and came accross a great deal on the amp, it was brand new and half the price (a bit like the C605's). Maybe down the track I will upgrade.

I definitely dont need any subwoofer, I mentioned in a previous post I couldnt get my hands on the C607's and was worried about lower range. 37hz is low enough. I own a piar of E875's, similar specs to the C607's (down to 30hz I think) and surprisingly enough they dont sound as deep and bassy compared to the 605's. The C605's were more musical, had deeper presentation and better soundstage. Different components I suppose.

All I need to do now is purchase a good CD player, maybe better interconnects. Any ideas on this. I am currently using a Pioneer DVD/CD player with cheapy gold plated RCA cables, sounds fine, but maybe I can do better in this space.

One thing I must say though, I reckon it doesn't matter how good the amp, speakers, cd player and cables etc are, if the recording is crap, then thats what you get, crap. It is emphasised more when you have a clearer setup as you can hear all the discrepancies. I cant believe the difference in sound quality/recordings on cd's these day, even the Ipod sounds better when hooked up. I have one cd that crackles in the high frequency, just on one song, not the rest. Other cd's hiss, some are dead quiet (for the want of a better word).

Anyways, back to work, any advice on interconnects/cd players (ie. S/N ratio, dynamic range, THD, frequency etc), would be appreciated.

Adz

Post Number: 5
Wiz, nah definitely not overly bright with the RA-04. In fact the bass is great from the Rotel, its one of the reasons i purchased it instead of the equivalent Cambridge Audio. From a few reviews that i read, the CA 340a unit, being british, was a little light on the bass end.

Anyway, i'm happy. Its a great little set up for the study until i can get some new speakers for in there (so i can have my rears back in the home theatre)

In fact, i was considering the cambridge audio S30 speakers for the study. Anyone have these? or auditioned them?

Cheers,
Brad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Personally, I think you should try the Jamo C603 bookshelf speakers.

You'll be shocked at what those babies can do. They can pump out some amazing bass and they overall sound big and great.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2015
NMyTree, I am catching up on old posts and saw yours above for which is the left and which is the rigth speaker. I am one of those who understood the opposite of your depiction. I subscribe to the theory of Audience Left and Audience Right which is opposite Stage Left and Stage Right. Your stereo should be set up Right Speaker to your right and Left Speaker to your left as you are in fact the audience.

I also copied this from the Convention Industry Council:

Audience Left and Right Stage directions from the audience's perspective. This is the opposite of STAGE LEFT AND RIGHT. See CAMERA LEFT AND RIGHT. See Also SCREEN LEFT AND RIGHT.

Another reference to in support of my theory is this diagram.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-files/dolby-digital-091106.gif

Perhaps what sounds right is more attuned to how we listen to our set up than any particular dictum.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3348
I asked James Tanner of Bryston this question on Audio Circle, and part of his response was the following -

"I have never been in a recording studio that did not setup the soundstage based on listeners right. So if you want to replicate the engineers intent you would have to adhere to those rules - not to mention the violins would be on the wrong side."

james

I don't doubt what you heard in any way. As I said in my post to James, I think its stupid to tell people what they hear and don't hear.

I tried switching right and left. In my room with my music and system, it made no difference, except instruments that were on one side were then on the other side. Nothing improved nor was degraded. It got a bit annoying to me to hear stuff the opposite way of what I'm used to, but then again I'm a bit obsessive compulsive at times

Here's a link to the thread if you're interested -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69284.0

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12745
Mechanics and drivers both refer to the users position, that being drivers left(dr) and right(pass).
I see no reason to make it any more difficult.
Nor would I trust anyone else to make the determination of direction beyond the user.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2017
I am not sure if you were debating my information or supporting it Stu but in the end we both are saying the same thing.

The only difference I can imagine is on music which you have listened to frequently would sound deviant if you heard it with, unknowing to you, the channels were reversed. For some reason it only sounds bad when you come across it unexpectedly. It is like the mind has trouble reconciling which should be a memory match.

When you deliberately try to swap left and right to test it your mind is aware of your antics and is not left confused by what it hears. This is my experience at least. YMMV.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12763
antics...hehehe

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3349
Supporting your info, Mike.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Mike, you're absolutely right.

I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I typed that mess up, but I completely screwed it up. I mean screwed it up badly!

I didn't even notice that I had that all screwed up. I should have gone back and read it again.

I interchanged the words "Left" and " Right " and put them in the wrong place.

All of my systems are set up so that the Right side is actually the Right side from the ......listening positions perspective.

In my seat, facing the system, my Right side is where the Right side speaker resides. Just like your diagram.

I apologize for the screw up. I have it correct in physical practice. That is what we did with my buddies systems and my systems.

But I screwed up in typing up the explanation.

I blame it on the Post Concusion Syndrom .

Either that or I was really sleepy when I typed that out. Regardless, my brains were definitely scrambled.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us