I have Emotiva XPA-2

Username: Seavib

Redmond, WA USA

Post Number: 1
it is brand new, out of the box, driving surrounds via Denon 3808. Quiet, powerful, fun. I like it! I intended to buy Bryston 4B-SST, not sorry so far.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1306
How would you describe the sound of the XPA-2?

The 4B-SST is in an entirely different class than the XPA...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1752
lol Im with David, big time....4B-SST. Is known in the industry as one of the top built Power Amps out there. The XPA-2..ahh not so much. Not saying its not good. Im sure it sounds just fine.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1307
Not that you compared the two, Dave. But comparing an Emotiva to a Bryston is like comparing a Hyundai to Ferrari.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7559
Yep..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1753
LOL. ahhhh Hyundai. I like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 26
Cmon. Go easy on Dave. Some people really love their Hyundai's - if you like the sound - be happy.

While we're on the kick - if the Bryston 4B is the Ferrari, then what's the Mercedes/BMW, the Lexus, the Cadillac, the Chevy and we know what the Hyundai is?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1308
Good question George... seeing as how Bryston is made here in Canada, maybe it should a Canadian car? (and no, there's no way I will compare my Bryston to a Chevy - my piece o' shite Chevy just cost me 7 bills this weekend).

Hmmmmm...

Mark Levinson = Cadillac?
McIntosh = Mercedes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1755
Indeed, to each their own. If you happy stick with it and enjoy the music.

The Porsche and Lambo would be ahhh Naim and McInstosh?

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 27
Good choices for the high end but the Kia might be - Sony (excepting the ES line) and the scrap yard brand would be Divinci - eh David?

Redmond, WA USA

Post Number: 2
The more I listen to Emotiva, the more I like it. No noise whatsoever. Powerful punch, no strain through loud passages. I also have a Proceed HPA3 which cost around $5k a few yeas ago, and so far I like them both very much. I am driving Paradigm Signature 6's and I would say that they are a good match.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10661
DF, have you tried the Emotiva with your mains alone? That would be interesting to know.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1310
You ever peruse the Emotiva forums Dave?

They're pretty fanatical there.

Redmond, WA USA

Post Number: 3
No I haven't but will give it a look. The idea of driving my S6's with the emotiva and comparing it to Proceed would be a good idea.

My reason for buying the XPA-2? I was ready to pop for the 4B-SST and chose to experiment with emotiva first. It was a brilliant idea, I think. I love power at low impedance. I also HATE noise, ground loops, and hum. So far..... nothing!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10662
I wonder what happens at Emotiva/Ascend parties?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1313
I know Emotiva owners tend to be fanatical (the ones that have Emotiva gear that actually works), is it the same for Ascend?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10665
Check the owners site, David.

Kinda rabid, like.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2955
Want to know how bad the Ascend owners are? Start a thread with Ascend in the title. They come out of the woodwork. If that's not bad enough, say something negative about them, especially in the title. Let the fun times roll.

There's a decent sized group of them here who've done zero to contribute other than defend Ascend like its a religion.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1314
That's crazy. I wonder why so rabid?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1315
The bamboo finish Sierra's are quite nice. I almost bought a pair just on a whim.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7561
We've had a number of good times on this forum relative to both Ascend and Green Mountain Audio speakers...I'm having very bad flashbacks...!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10666
Ascend has their admirers and detractors....wonder if Chris will chime in?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2956
In all fairness, the Green Mountain Audio clown was only one person trying to get people fired up. Mauimusicman. He had the same effect as Dale, but a different way of going about it.

Redmond, WA USA

Post Number: 4
The Brystom 4B-SST would cost me $4600 plus freight. The emotiva XPA-2 cost me $799 and freight was free because I bought it two weeks ago. I intend to push the crap out of emotiva to see if it sounds good and can take it. But you know, since I bought Paradign S6 instead of B&W 802D, I thought it was poetic justice that I tried emotiva.

Oh yeah, I hear you saying "this guy is cheap, but wants more", and you are right. I wish my wife did not barf on the 802Ds I showed her at Def Audio. Barf, gaack, not gonna happen. So I bought S6 and company without telling her. She complained, but I got 'em, and they sound great. As does my Denon 3808, Proceed XPA3, and emotiva XPA-2 (so far).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10668
I am not surprised that the 10k-15k 802D's got poo-pooed.
They usually run best on 20k amps, too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7562
Poetic justice...hmm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1756
I can definitely see people enjoying the Signature line over the 802D's no matter what is powering them. Personally. Both are amazing in their own regard.

Very nice speakers Dave. Personally if I owned the S6's. Denon, Emotiva or the likes of anything in the same level wouldnt come near my S6's. Just my opinion. Hey it it sounds good to you then giver. If you were to stick a 4bsst on those....I guarantee it would make the hair on your arm stick up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1316
Which arm?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7564
I'm thinkin' both arms David!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
lol at least one

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10669
ya baby!

The 802D's are meant for sign of the end of the world power.

The S6 will do soooo much better with faster power.
Dude, look at slew rate amps...Classe comes to mind, but thats just me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1760
Classe is sweet. That brand is not mentioned NEARLY enough on this forum. Its up there in my top 5 for sure.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1318
Never heard Classe. Would definitely like to check it out someday.

Another amp that is not mentioned often is Bel Canto. I've heard Bel Canto on several occasions and always been impressed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1762
Yeah, the Vintage guy from Hamilton has a Bel-Canto for sale which claims its Bryston power " but actually sounds good " not sure what he means by that.lol. Perhaps he doesn't think Bryston sounds good. To each their own. Bel Canto stuff can be had for reasonable prices used.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 115
How about Simaudio? I just got the I5 to replace my Naim system. Wonderful!!! That's all I can say for now...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1763
SimAudio is another great product. Classe,Bryston,Simaudio. All built in my neck of the woods.lol I seen a Simaudio integrated amp for 700 on CAM and almost jumped on it for s#!ts and giggles.

Silver Member

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 116
A Sim integrated for 700!? You should jump on it right away and make some profit if you don't need it. Anyway, I am sure that model is I3, can't be I5.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1764
Yup it was the I3.

Also there is this.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/97512-bryson_b60_integrated_power_amp__12 _years_left_on_warranty/

BONG!! David Mitchell brought that to my attention. I kept going back to it, so I called Bryston, and asked them about it. He said " The B60 is an exceptionally amazing sounding amp. However I would'nt think there would be much difference in sound to what you have now" So I kinda forgave myself about not buying it. However, if someone doesn't buy that thing soon, I may just have to.

Silver Member

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 117
Upload
Anyway, I love the look of my Sim.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1765
Thats sexy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7566
I've listened to the Sim in the Pic many times and like it alot. I had the one below it (now discontinued) in my home for an audition. Sounded very good but the build quality was awful. The bottom sagged and the jacks were off center, it was bad news. All the Sims up from there appeared to be built like tanks...that's why I was surprised.

Silver Member

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 118
Yes, this amp is like a tank. Heavy and quality made.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1766
Do u prefer it to your Naim Loc?

Silver Member

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 119
Yes. That's why I sold my Naim system. This amp give me more details, more power for my new Dynaudio Contour speakers, and more "hi-fi" or whatever people on the Naim forum called other electronics. Anyway, I am very satify with my new amp.

Silver Member

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 120
So far, I don't regret selling my Naim system. Don't get me wrong, Naim is good. But after a while, I just got bored. One thing that I don't like the Naim, because of space issue, I have to put my system in the cabinet. I had to turn the system on and off everday, otherwise, they got hot. Naim equipments don't have the standby mode, and they don't like to be turned off and on (made loud pops on my speakers). You know what I mean. Anyway, I like their sound, specially, their CDP.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1636
The Ascend crew wow,I sure have a dislike for them and their owner,and not to mention all the crap with them and av123 on avs,the ascend people are like Jahova Witness,its their way or your wrong,their really like a online gang,but I'll put the sock o them every time!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us