Resolving echoing problem

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 540
My buddy is building a house and is trying to piece the placement of his downstairs system together. Currently there is no furniture or anything downstairs and the main room has major echo problems. He is worried speakers will not only sound bad but will bother anyone upstairs, even at lower volumes.

Is there any type of conditioning that can be done to the walls or what are his options?

The room is a large open room consisting of the living room and kitchen. The dimensions are 28'-34' with high ceilings.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1739
I had a similar problem in my basement. Once I put in new Micro fabric couches and a throw rug down, it fixed the problem. There is much more complicated measures that do much more, but there is two of the easiest ones to start with.

Username: Imhoaudio

Canada

Post Number: 8
Hey dude

I'm with Nick! Great advice and an awesome place to start....

Your friend may also want to find some noise reduction curtains(the industrial style) or those free-standing office separators that have some pretty great sound proofing capabilities..... I've used both while doing some mobile recording a few years back with good results.... he (?) may even find them at some used office furniture liquidators on the cheap.....

A book case at the back of the room may help as well (with reflections).... just some basic "easys" }

Good luck; you're a good buddy!
-Jason Gower
www.imhoaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 541
Thanks guys. Im sure furnishing the place will make a huge difference.

I saw online ads for sound absorbing curtains, floor mats, and ceiling panels. Does anyone hear have any experience with either of these products?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1284
I'm sure there's some people on the forum that have used room treatments. I haven't had to since my house is mostly carpeted and is very dampened with furniture and kid's toys.

If the room is unfinished, I've heard that insulation fibreglass (the pink stuff) is very absorbtive. He could stuff it between the ceiling joists before finishing the ceiling.

Of course check with local builing codes, etc. Running that stuff beside pot lights would probably not be good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us