Disc Doctor

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 561
Anyone here use this fluid?
http://www.discdoc.com/p1.html
I am too lazy to go back into all the old threads now.
I am ready to reorder some new fluid for my Discwasher and try a few other brushes.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12883

Stop using the Discwasher.

This fluid is OK if you don't want to buy a vacuum cleaner. Or you can read the directions for non-vacuum machine cleaning on the same site. There is no substitute for a vacuum machine however.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10624
And the overalls involved, KC.
Clean them all at once, then clean the fish afterwards, as you have the waders on already.

Cheers, mate!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1407
FWIW you can make your own fluid too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10627
10% alcohol and 90% distilled water, Mike?
What's the formula?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 562
Vodka?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1409
isopropyl plus a couple of drops of dish liquid, like Palmolive. The vodka is to be imbibed while cleaning the records, chilled, with a couple of splashes of olive juice.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12897

I've explained my DIY cleaning fluid on another post here. You'll have to wade through some archives to find it. I no longer use alchohol with my cleaner unless I'm scrubbing a really nasty disc. When I do use alchohol I use Everclear and not isporopyl. Otherwise, the fluid is nothing more than distilled water from the gorcery and no more than two drops of "All Clear" laundry detergent. You do not need more than two drops of detergent per cup of water, the detergent acts only as a surfactant which releases the water's surface tension and allows it to flow easily and the water does the cleaning the soap does not. Any more than two drops and you'll have a soapy mess on your hands and discs and everything else in sight.

I warm the fluid in the microwave to just get it warm and I mix only what I'll need for that cleaning session. By a spray bottle for the soapy mix and one for the rinse water. If you aren't going to use a vacuum cleaning machine, rinse first with filtered tap water and then rinse again with no soap added distilled water.

A very basic record cleaner is Windex (the formulation with ammonia in the bottle). I've not tried it but it has always been a standby for those on the cheap.

Use microfiber towels to do your cleaning. Change them out on a regular basis if you're cleaning more than a few discs at a time and always have lots of big fluffy bath towels on hand.

And throw away the Discwasher.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 563
Thanks for the input Nuck, Michael, and Jan.

I remember posts recommending no alcohol while others do use it. Some expensive commercial fluids, eg Disc Dr don't list the ingredients on the site.
The discwasher D4+ contains isopropul.

Jan: "...throw away the Discwasher..."
I take it you mean the brush as well as the fluid?

I am really interested in simply dusting records that are basically clean. Today I will definitely buy some microfiber towels.

What about the other brushes such as carbon ones on DiscDoctor?

I saved this from Stu Pitt: "... I like the Audioquest brush and Oznow Zerodust. I have both and use them religiously. I don't care what people say about carbon fiber brushes. My vinyl is so much better because of it..."

Because I am looking at simply dusting, the record cleaning machine seems like too much. I do hope to get one next year, but for now.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12902

"Jan: '...throw away the Discwasher...'
I take it you mean the brush as well as the fluid?"

Yep, it's 1970's technology that needs to go the way of the AMC Pacer.

What you're ignoring is the fact a clean disc attracts less crap than a dirty, uncleaned one. If you can't afford the vacuum cleaner - the best way to minimize or even eliminate noise - then use the Disc Doctor's instructions on non-vacuum cleaning with whatever fluid you choose.

I have real problems with brushes and dusting. I agree with Rega's Roy Gandy that anything large enough for a brush to move, a stylus can also move out of the way. Clean the discs and then use a slightly damp microfiber towel to "dust" the disc prior to play. Turn and change out the towels on a regular basis and wash them with just a few drops of detergent. Brushes just move dust from one disc to the next.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 566
Thanks Jan.

"... it's 1970's technology..."
He he, but aren't records 19th century tech! ;)

I got the micro fiber towels today and they seem to do a good job.
They feel so strange. My rough hand skin catches on the towel as I feel it.
I know what you mean about the discwasher brush holding dirt. I had been using a shop vac to clean the discwasher.

I could have bought a real machine this year, but had my priorities off. I just got the new Dyno cart for the table and also some new CDs. And paid a bunch of debts too.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12904

Hold your hands under running water for about 30-45 seconds. Or wear some latex gloves.

Paying debt is good, wish I had the extra to do so. I've had to replace all my major appliances in the last two years plus the HVAC system from zip to zorch. Those credit card bills keep on comin'.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10639
I had a pacer.
Although far removed from the 'limelight', I do understand living in a fish-eyed lens.hehe

Danged if can find the DIY cleaner that seemed so easy to make and use...

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 583
I just discovered this on Rega's website:

"Keep all water and fluids away cleaning should not be necessary. Don't worry about visible dust on the record surface, this is brushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the stylus can be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning is overdone and one should not believe all the claims made by record cleaner manufacturers."

"If you keep your records stored in their sleeves, avoid touching the playing surfaces, play with the lid down and keep all water and fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Don't worry about visible dust on the record surface, this is brushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the sty- lus can be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning is overdone and one should not believe all the claims made by record cleaner manufacturers."

That is surprising to me. I don't agree that dust is not a problem. I am going with the damp (water) and dry microfiber towels.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12928

Roy Gandy has several peculair ideas that are not always shared by the audio community in general. The difference between Roy and most of the rest of us is he has a platform.

I disagree with his assessment of record cleaning in general. If you are buying new vinyl, there are mold release agents and other chemicals that are used in the pressing process which have settled in the bottom of the groove and on the groove walls that should be removed before the hot stylus shoves them into the vinyl where they will remain forever. A good cleaning is required to remove these components.

If you are buying old vinyl, you would be foolish not to clean the disc.

A thorough cleaning will cut down on static accumulation on both old and new vinyl making the disc less likely to attract more contaminants.

One response to Gandy's approach to record hygiene was voiced in these terms, "I hope Roy is destined to live in a world where the resaraunts he frequents only wipe the big chunks off the plates and silverware with dry towel."

I do agree that a well cleaned disc is unlikely to attract much in the way of dust that the stylus cannot push out of the way. I don't stress over day to day cleaning of LP's just before playing. I make certain the side going down onto my hard vinyl platter and under the record clamp is clean so no dirt gets jammed into the disc. But I don't do much else and then only a light swipe with a slightly dry/damp microfiber towel. IMO you have a much better chance of transfering dust from one disc to the next with a dry dusting technique that with any other. Certainly anything large enough for you to see is large enough for the stylus to simply push aside.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 17
I have read this as well and though it may be o.k. for a entry level system/cartridge setup, anything higher-end would benefit from some cleaning, though I do subscribe to not overdoing it.
I myself use an economical process of every once in awhile cleaning my records with a microfiber rag that is moistened with a 50/50 mix of alchohol and distilled water (home mix). You then need to use a carbon fiber brush to clean the record prior to each play, along with the stylus. This will reduce any residual dust that has accumulated and remove static charge. I have definitely heard dust cause distortion but a quick raise and clear on the stylus rectified the problem. My general rule, don't spend more than 10% of your setup on cleaning equipments/systems but I'm no expert, afterall.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 618
I have quit using the discwasher and gone with Jan's suggestion.
"...a light swipe with a slightly dry/damp microfiber towel..."

I have been using distilled water to dampen the towel.

Have also been using the AcousTech Big record brush:
"This large-handled brush has soft bristles of both natural hairs and conductive synthetic fibers, and makes dusting LPs nearly foolproof." Stereophile Recommended Components D Stereophile, October 2008
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=42881

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3246
Hey, the Keith Monks record cleaner is back on the market, but My God it's expensive (£3000 starting price - that's $5000)!

http://www.keithmonks-rcm.co.uk/

I know it's the best (I use one in the shop) but still...

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 319
Playing your LPs until they are dirty, then throwing them out (or better yet, selling them to persons that own expensive cleaners) and buying new is cheaper.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 619
Most of my LPs are not replacable, that is, not in print. Not available at any price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us