Oops

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2910
Yeah I accidentally dropped a couple paperclips into my second-oldest receiver..

I am going to open it up (warranty is over) and get them out.

I can see them and they are in a place where I can easily get to them. While I'm at it, I'll take a look at the internals of the thing.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2911
Ahh it's out now.

For my receiver's power output rating, the absolute minimum transformer rating would be 600VA. Yamaha seems to have decided that .7 the total output power would be sufficient (like some transformer manufacturers suggest), and so it is 440VA. If the amp were designed to run at full power from all channels (at 6-ohms, the limit of the transistors I bet) at once, it would need a 3200VA transformer to handle it.

The main filter caps are 8200uf 71v caps, one for each supply rail. For full power (6-ohms), an ideal amount would be 40,000uf for each supply rail.

I guess since the receiver was only $240 new, they didn't have much room in the budget.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10597
The advertising dept. got the real money, LOL!

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2912

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3117
Hmmm, my 2-channel amp is only rated at 80wpc. It has a 1050VA transformer in it... double oops!

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2916
Quite a stiff power supply indeed

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10605
My 2 channel amp has a 1650, and is rated at 300.
I think Frank wins...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10606
Think..'punches above it's weight'

No wonder the Naim is so goooood.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3122
No wonder the Naim is so damn heavy...

...and hums!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1727
Hows the NAIM working out for you Frank? Is it walking all over the Arcam stuff?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3126
Yes it does, emphatically. There I am driving the Mani-2s with a single 80wpc amp and it positively obliterates the Arcam even though I was driving it biamped with 120w per drive unit! That said, considering the Naim is more expensive than the Arcam and only does 2-channel, it damn well should!

The odd thing is it actually sounds better than expected! maybe it's because I ahve a smaller room than the shop and so it doesn't need to drive the speakers so hard, or maybe I'm just lucky, but the thing sounds positively wonderful and certainly shows the Arcam where it's at. Now the Arcam's no slouch and would be many a man's perfect solution, but the Naim just drives music along with pathos and depth and transparency and...it's really re-ignited my interest in music which had been waning with the Arcam.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us