Pointless Babble

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2905
Would it be possible to make a speaker only handle half of the musical signal (NO, not in terms of frequency)?

You *could* try an amplifier that doesn't combine the signals, but rather just sends each one individually. It'd be weird sounding I bet.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1185
a speaker does this already unless it is fed a mono feed. A stereo serup has the speakers playing "half" of the musical signal.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2907
Well I should have clarified.. positive only to one driver and negative only to the other.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2188
Drivers can't stop infinitely fast, so attemping to reproduce this signal split would introduce a lot of harmonic distorsion.

What's your thinking behind this idea anyway?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2909
I just wondered what it would actually sound like.

I could probably just add a diode in-line with a pair of speakers that are paralleled (should not change effective impedance much). The effects would probably be pretty interesting. In fact, I'll probably end up doing this since I can't think of any problems it would cause in terms of amp stability.

It'd just be pulsing dc on each driver.

I just wonder if it even works. I'll have to try it.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2913
Since no responded saying not to, I got ahold of some diodes (50v, 6A). 4 to be exact.

The forward voltage drop was .477v (measured), so I figured anything below that wouldn't even each the speakers. Yep. It sounded like extreme crossover distortion, yet I heard the music. Out of an amp that has the + and - signals reaching the speakers down to 0v, it would probably sound much better.

Anyway.. The reason I got these diodes was to make a rectifier for a transformer I have.

I'll probably use my 4700uf (35v, the DC output of the transformer could be above 35v..I'd have to measure the unloaded voltage and take into account the diode drops) cap with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us