What to get, old old, old or newer Mcintosh amp?

Username: Mark_ny

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to buy a Mcintosh power amp, but which one? My speaker are rate at 45W, plan to replace them in a year or two. I was thinking of a used amp, 100W to 200W per channel. What do you recommend an older mid 70's amp like a MC2205, a 90s MC7100 -- MC7200, or something newer like MC202?
Does the expense of the newer equipment make sense?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12859

1) You buy a Mac amp based on how much "power" you require to drive your speakers to a satisfactory level. Mac is Mac and the sound of the amplifier doesn't dramatically change as long as the amp has sufficient headroom and current delivery for your speakers in your room.

2) Old Mac and new Mac have two distinct differences. Old Mac has old parts. Buying older Mac means the unit is closer to the time it will require parts replacement. That probably is still quite awhile away unless you are exceeding 25-30 years of age on the amplifier. New Mac has better parts as McIntosh has upgraded their choice in connectors, switches, caps and resistors among other passive items. That means new Mac does sound slightly better than old Mac but the Mac sound and build quality is unmistakably present in virtually any McIntosh product from the earliest to the newest products.

I use Mac tube amplifiers from the early 1960's and a Mac integrated amplifier from the early 1980's.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned my current speakers are 45W and over 25 years old. I figured a 100WPC amp will give me enough head. But I have no idea what good modern speakers need or how much head room they will need.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12860

They come in all flavors. You can buy excellent speakers that will knock your socks off with 0.1 watt or you might prefer something that eats up 1k watt amplifiers and asks for more. IMO, the first type are what you should be interested in owning. Keep the efficiency and the impedance high.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1385
I have newer speakers which sound better with more power, even if I only use 3 watts or 30 watts. I had a loaner MA-6200 in my kit which sounded very sweet. I like what my MC-7300 (300 wpc) does with my speakers over what the MA-6200 did. Both are MACs and both have that signature sound. There will be differences between Jan's tubes and my solid state.

I would suggest you listen to both tube and SS, older and newer if you have not already. You did not mention budget so I do not want to be any more specific.

One other thing would be to buy an amp with the type of speaker you are moving to in mind. Listen to newer speakers if you get the chance to demo some amps. That will help you with "future proofing" your amp purchase.

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2920
I totally agree with what Jan and Michael have said. I very rarely suggest going about it this way, but...

If you're sold on Mac, you may want to choose a new set of speakers first. Listen to them with current Mac gear, find out if they'll work in your room, and so on. After you figure out what their power requirements are, then decide which Mac is best for you. Mac is Mac, has always been Mac, and will always be Mac (hopefully).

Mac is one of the best companies to do long term business with. They can repair just about anything they've ever sold, bringing it back to original specs, if not better. While its not free or even very cheap, its definitely a great value if you find something you plan on hanging on to. Using made up numbers, if Mac charges $500 to refurbish and old amp, you're pretty guaranteed that you won't find a better brand new amp for anywhere near that price.

Very, very, very few companies do this. With thses companies, you definitely get what you paid for.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12863

One way to get a leg up on compatibility with any speaker is to buy a McIntosh amplifier with transformer (tube) or autoformer (transistor)outputs. The autoformers (on the solid state amplifiers) will isolate the output stages from the load of the speaker - somewhat. (If you buy something stupid, it will be your own fault it doesn't sound good.) You will also have provisions for better matching the lowest impedance point of any speaker load to the correct output tap on the amplifier.

You should also read this; http://www.symphonysound.com/articles/tubefriendly.html It applies to both tube and transistor amplifiers. Keep the efficiency and the impedance high and avoid speakers with complex crossovers and multiple notch filters.

Post Number: 3
I would love to get a Tube amp, but it isn't in the buget.

Thank you for the info.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10584
Have you tried the Mac forum?

Post Number: 4
No, it's a good idea thank.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10594
You will find no shotage or Mac fans anywhere, mon.
But I think it's a lot of tar and feathers.(old joke)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us