Broken goldring gr2 help.

Username: Tenticle175

Post Number: 1
hi i got a brokren gr2 record deck cheap and hope to fix it up the dust cover is shatterd,but the main problem is the tonearm lift on the tone arm has snapped,it is a circular piece of plastic with 2 screws in it to hold it in place,it can not be glued and was wondering what replacement arm i could fit to it on a limeted budget,about 70 pounds thanks, also the goldring elecra needle has snapped, any help on sourcing part is much appreciated.thanks nik

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3106
Crumbs - how much did you pay for that thing???

The GR2 is an OEM Rega deck. You could buy a replacement Rega arm - any Rega arm should do although the Goldring version may have a slightly raised base to take account of the slightly taller Goldring cartridge, but you may not need to do this at all. The arm is a Rega RB250 and Rega may supply spares for it. The lift/lower device is actually a curved wand raised and lowered by a column in a round section base, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Either way, sinec you're in the UK, a quick call to Rega (who are usually helpful) may save you some serious dosh.

First things first though - check the arm bearings aren't shot. To do this is very easy.

* Set the bias to zero (that's a sliding button at the base of the arm next to the lift/lower lever).

* Balance the counterweight of the arm so the arm balances out horizontally.

* Test 1: holdig the hfingerlift of the headshell in your hand, move the arm around. There should be no apparent play at the pivot and pretty much little to no friction - certainly no graunching or anything like that.

* Test 2, the bearing test: With the arm in its natural resting place, tap the headshell on the side to propel it toward the centre spindle. Don't be Mr Tough Guy. Just a gentle tap to sweep the arm to the centre over a period of a second or two. If the arm sticks, stops suddenly or grinds to a halt, the bearings are stuffed and you need a new arm. If not, the arm is fine and needs not be replaced. You can perform this test both with and without the cartridge in place in the headshell. Without is better since it lowers the energy in the system and if your cartridge weren't broken it'd be less risky.

The original cartridge in the GR2 as supplied was the Goldring 1012GX and worth about £100. You can get a direct replacement stylus for around £70. You can replace any 1000 series stylus in that body, making it an upgradeable series. Are you sure you have an Electra? The Electra is nowhere near as good as the 1012GX and uses a different body. The Electra's stylus chassis is red and has 'Goldring Electra' on the top/front. The 1012GX's is grey with the Goldring circle on the top; the body is grey.

Finally, check the turntable bearing is ok. Remove the sub-platter and check there is a small ball bearing at the bottom of the tube. Also check if there's any oil in there. If there isn't, take it down to a Rega dealer to have a look at the whole thing and they'll be able to ascertain whether it's worth putting money into the deck at all. Don't put oil in yourself! Rega use a particular hypoid oil which a dealer will have loads of. Don't use any other type (as Rega say on their site) since you can ruin the whole shebang. If the ball is missing, it's no biggie - replacement balls are cheap.

Username: Tenticle175

Post Number: 2
hi it was 10pounds, i have done the test you said, and have also try a cartride and needle on it but it ony plays on 1 speaker so i think i will have to replace it,also you said to pull centre shaft clear to check bearing is ok, idi this but read on rega site not to do that hope i havnt damaged it file enclosd showing insructions of deck.
application/pdfUpload
P2%20instructions%20Eng.pdf (91.7 k)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3113
Nick,

Given the abuse the deck has had, it's better to have a look at the bearing which is why I suggested it to you. When you pulled it out it should have had a bit of suction and given a mild pop. At the bottom of the bearing shaft you should have seen a small ball bearing. We have had people come in complaining about their deck not running right and the bearing simply being missing! Others simply have no oil in them at all. Both these scenarios are far worse than carefully removing and replacing the subplatter. Then all you needed to do is replace the subplatter. The subplatter would not have slid right in, sitting proud. Simply waiting for it to slide down to the bottom (giving it a spin can help) should take a minute or two. If it does that then the bearing and oil should be OK.

£10 is not bad for a £250 deck.

Now, you say it only plays on one channel. First let's check the amplifier.

* Swicth the amp to another source.

* Swap the left and right armleads into the amplifier.

* Switch the amp back.

* Check with a record or your finger (gently!).

If the sound has swapped sides then the amp is fine and the problem is in one of:

1. The cartridge.
2. The armlead.

If you're really unlucky - both can be shot on the same side!

The easy way to find out is as follows, but exercise care because it's a delicate operation.

* Make a note of which colour leads are attached to the cartridge terminals.

* Switch your amp to a different input.

* Disconnect the cartridge from the armleads using long nose pliers.

* Now attach the wires from the side that wasn't working to the side of the cartridge that was working.

* Switch your amp to the Phono input.

* Play a record (or gently touch the stylus with your finger).

If a noise comes out then your cartridge is down on one channel and the armlead is OK.

If no noise comes out, it could be that the armlead is broken, but it could still be that the cartridge's channel is also broken. To validate, switch your amp to another input again. Attach the remaining set of armleads to the cartridge. Set your amp back to phono input. Now if the side you've just attached produces a sound this means that one of your armleads is broken and the cartridge is OK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us