Sub and Amp From the car to the home

Username: Jiblob

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I have a 12" JBL 1000 Watt sub hooked up to a JBL GT5-A402 amp in my car.

I want to be able to use this sub in my house**, so domestic amp would be good for this?

Cheers,

- Luke

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2887
I assume you mean in your house.

Ok first I should tell you that cars have a much larger gain at lower frequencies than house rooms do. If you want to use it in your house, then you will have to build a different box for the sub. If you don't know what type you would build, then tell me what you want to use it for (music, music type, movies, games and a percentage of each) and then tell me how big the room is you plan to put it in. Oh, and I will NEED your sub's model.

What do you mean by a domestic amp? If you want to use that amp in your house, you'll need either a high-capacity 12v battery, or you will need a power supply. The amount of current required will make that PS expensive. In fact, it would be better to just buy a pro amp to power it. From Behriner, you can get a $300 amp that will put out up to 2.2kW depending on the resistance.

So tell me if I misread your post and I'll get back to your OR someone else here will say something.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12843

Most car subs don't work well in a home environment. They do not have the proper alignment and damping to provide tight, extended bass response and instead put out one note boomy bass when removed from the car environment. The problem is the difference in gain provided by the two spaces as Andre mentioned. Car subs are meant for cars and home subs are meant for much larger spaces.

If you insist on trying this rather than buying a proper sub for your home system, I'll assume this is a passive subwoofer. If so, you can run this sub off your speaker outputs on your Onkyo but you probably won't be level matched to your main speakers. If the sub is playing louder than the mains, buy an L-pad at Radio Shack and trim the sub down in level.

Beyond that you're going to have to supply more information.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2889
Luke,

Another thing is that if the woofer is in a sealed box, you can buy something like a configurable Linkwitz-Transform.

The good thing about them is that you can dial them in to a specific setting and they will equalize your subwoofer and as a system, it can be made to act like a subwoofer made for being in a large room.

The bad thing about them is that they can cost $250-$400.

If you know the exact specs of your sub, you can build one for about $20 with average-quality parts.. if you can build it, that is.

The point is, the money/effort required to 'force' what you currently have to be good would be enough to buy a pretty nice subwoofer.

If you built all the parts needed to make what you have work, it would cost around $100, but the difficulty of building/designing all the parts would take some learning. That's without buying the tools, too.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12844

Andre, you're missing the point that many car subs just don't work well in a home environment. There's no reason to try forcing a sub to sound good in a home when its essential design isn't meant for that location. Now, if the only desire is to have boom, then you can stick whatever woofer you want in a home setting and you'll have boom without extension and without pitch accuracy. But, if that's the only desire, you can go buy a $99 "subwoofer" from a shop and obtain the same results - and it will include a cheap amplifier.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2892
Yeah I suppose it comes down to what Mr. OP is looking for, if he posts again here.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1214
How come people are always asking about using car audio stuff in the home?

Just once I'd like to see a thread about home audio stuff in the car.

Just for fun.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2904
Haha I thought about trying to hook an A/V receiver to car speakers to see how its acoustic calibration reacted.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 306
I have Magnepans in my car. But you must have guessed.
Kind of blocks the rear window but the sound is nice. Placement was a problem, too.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1216
That's awesome Leo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us