Marantz PM7001 KI

Bronze Member
Username: Clarkzoe

Post Number: 11
I'm interested to that amp, not sure how it differs from the old amp PM7200 and normal PM7001. Anyone has good impression on PM7001 KI? Is it more neutral than 7200? Sometimes I found 7200 warm and lack of details..

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 126
I don't think this is exactly the right forum to ask questions about Marantz products...this brand isn't exactly liked over here...
You may want to try the English Hi-Fi Choice forum.
http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/

I cannot help you either, though I own the PM7200 myself I never heard the PM7001(KI).
Some good reviews though, here's one from the magazine Hifi-Choice (which reviews are posted on techradar.com)

http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/marant z-pm7001-ki-277375/review?artc_pg=2

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 679
"I don't think this is exactly the right forum to ask questions about Marantz products...this brand isn't exactly liked over here..."

And I'm not sure why to be honest because I love the musicality and character of my Marantz with my monitor audios.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Me neither.
I bought my PM7200 5 years ago, still not thinking about upgrading.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1969
I think anyone has the right to ask any question about any brand on this forum.

Marantz products I've had or now have seem to be incredibly reliable and good value both in build and sound. Not that I think they are best, but good.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10549
Certainly dicuss it all we want, but not a real speaker post, this one.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1667
I actually heard a new Marantz setup just a few days ago and thought it sounded pretty good. Surprising actually as I have never been a big fan. I was reading in this months What Hi-Fi magazine that the new integrated amps Marantz are bringing out sound very good. I think a lot of people on this forum like the pacier sound compared to the more laid back sound. I think as you gain pace and rhythm with an amp, you sometimes lose in finesse and subtlety. Brands like Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, MAC and many more bring a warm, fluid like sound with a wide sound stage but in doing so lose out a bit in the pace, timing and detail department(Mac perhaps being a slight exception). I personally look for a little more refinement with transparency and punch. An amp that provides free-breathing dynamics. PRAT is great, but if the sound stage is small, and amp sounds like crap, then who gives a crap about PRAT.lol. Finding an amp with it all would be ideal, but never is the case, and everyone has different tastes and listening habits. Migs, my best advice to you, is to bring the unit home. Listen to it, if you like it, then keep it, regardless of what anyone else says.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
I think anyone has the right to ask any question about any brand on this forum.

I wasn't suggesting that he isn't allowed or something like that, I guess I didn't make myself clear, but it's my experience on this forum, certainly the last 2 years, that questions concerning Marantz products aren't answered or the topic starter gets a reply in which alternative and 'better' brands are mentioned.

In fact I honestly think if I hadn't replied Migs question, this thread would've died quickly, unanswered.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
"I actually heard a new Marantz setup just a few days ago and thought it sounded pretty good. Surprising actually as I have never been a big fan."

Thanks all.
Nick, when u said it sounded pretty good. Does it mean is it much faster, more transparency, better dynamics than the old PM7200?

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
I'm one to stick up for Marantz. Only ever owned the pm6002 which I've only had for a few months. Built quality isn't bad, the sounds better.
I'm saving for a matching Marantz cd6002 cd player right now. Either that or the less expensive NAD c515..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
Migs- Not even sure what model of cd player and integrated amp it was to be honest. Was just walking through a local hi fi shop waiting for my wife to finish shopping and a couple were getting a full Marantz demo. I do know that it was the new stuff as it had that new look. I personally, also, did not demo it against any other stuff for that matter. From what I do remember of the Marantz style, it did sound better to me in almost every way. It was quite enjoyable. The room was well setup and the speakers were Paradigm Studio 20's.

J.Jarvis- The 6002 is a great budget cd player from what I hear. I have personally heard the new 515bee. For the price, its just unbelievable. It actually brings a nice wide soundstage, space between the instruments. The only flaw I could find wrong with it is that out of the box it gets confused when you really open up the volume. My dealer claimed it needs break it time. Small flaw though considering its only a 250 dollar cd player. I would say at the moment when it comes to Integrated amps Cambridge Audio are the budget kings. But for CD players, hands down, NAD still hold their 'budget king' crown. Especially when it comes to the new 515bee.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7321
I think I like the NAD budget amps better than Cambridge too. Wife has the 325BEE and it's pretty darn good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
You got that right Art. I think Cambridge and NAD are in the mix of a battle for the Budget Crown. Cambridge I would say bring a more clinical, detailed sound where as NAD has that nice big sound stage and fluid musical sound. I personally think on a budget, NAD is still king. Again, just my personal preference everyone.lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
Actually this months What Hi-Fi magazine claim that the new NAD 315bee and 325bee are by far the best amps in their class/price, and sound like they could have double the price tag. Just a review I know, but What Hi-Fi is the only magazine I read that are not afraid to just bash a product and give it a terrible review like they did to pretty much all the Denon integrated amps and a few others.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks Nick, thanks all for sharing your experience with marantz..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7332
An aside here Nick but a dealer I know says that the 525 is not worth the extra scratch over the 515...he says go for the 515...killer bargain.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
Yeah for sure. At my dealers I heard a 515bee/315bee combo, and couldn't believe that you can now get that kind of sound for 600 dollars.lol Crazy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7339
He did say that the insides of the 325 are significantly better than the 315 and so a 325/515 combo is the way to go on a budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Oh no doubt the 325bee at the moment, is their best Integrated they have in the classic series. The C352 WAS until they replaced it with the new 355bee which completely let me down. I thought the 325bee was much better than the 355bee. Again, this goes back to my biggest concern with NAD is that their lineup is not consistent. The 325bee is a superb integrated for the money. Actually its just plain good period IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 681
Some more good opinions on NAD equipment then! Yet I'm still undecided upon the cd player but probably will save a little longer for the cd6002 as its the king in its class reading one review. May be a safer bet with the synergy of keeping it with Marantz.
Cambridge Audio are v popular but I wouldnt say they're the best especially since I sold one for my Marantz which I much prefer.

On a side note, I'm selling a NAD 3130 if anyones interested, a brilliant sound for its age I'll admit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
Forget that I think I'll keep the NAD 3130.
The only reason I'd be selling it is because its old and I have a 'modern' amp. Its better than my Marantz pm6002 which is the one I'll be selling now. What a waste of money!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Yep, this thread is going exactly where I'd thought a thread about Marantz would go: NAD :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
J.Jarvis- The old NAD beat up on the Marantz did it???

Old or not, if it sounds good, enjoy it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
It sure did in SOME respects. I bought it for my Dad as part of a vintage system for his birthday but no matter what he couldnt find space for it. So fair enough I agreed to sell it, but thought ah I'll try it with my own speakers. I was looking at the old 3130 thinking .
The bass is tight and rythmic, there's better detail. I miss a part of the Marantz, they're both dynamic in their own ways. But I think I like the NAD and the fact that I have my subwoofer OFF! I dont need it and as a student I can now make £250 maybe more from selling my modern day amp and subwoofer! Another downside of the NAD is it doesn't have the power of the Marantz, the NAD does a fair bit of it, but at university there has been times for good partying i.e. cranking the volume up!

I'm going to listen with the 3130 for a few more days, then go back to the Marantz and see if I miss the NAD more than I did with attributes going from the Marantz to the NAD.

Makes me wonder what the nad c315bee and 515bee combo sounds like now!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
Conclusion made. Marantz is staying. Sorry Nout! Both amps are brilliant but the Marantz just has a special musicality about it which is hard to describe. Its just thicker and more muscular sounding. Guitars sound like guitars! Music has more depth!
NAD 3130 definately up for sale.

Modern isn't modern for no reason! By no means is the Marantz producing perfect music but its as close as I'll get for my money right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
You don't have to apologize :-)
I just found it funny.

Great to hear you still like your Marantz though.

(Just don't read too much about the PRAT thing, it makes you doubt your system and unnecessarily question your ears, which would only be OK if you have money to spend :-))

Gold Member

Post Number: 1678
The 315 or 325bee should both be a lot better than that of the 3130 J.Jarvis. Modern can be great, but I would take an old Mac, Naim, or Bryston any day over any Modern NAD or Marantz.lol By far.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
I dont pay any attention to PRAT, all i care about is how musical my music is and if I move to it!

Would you really do that Nick? Would you care to explain why? I recently had a Naim amp on watch on ebay, think it went for a bit much though. I've never listened to mac, naim or bryston but heard positiveness about them all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
Lol Nout, tell me why you're going to find it even funnier..

(I'm going round in circles)

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
p.s. Is it possible to biamp 2 integrated amps?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us