Power line for my amp?

Hi,
I'm going to get first monster-power amp soon.
It's the Cinepro 3k6II which has over 500w pc into 4 ohm. The mfg specs indicated that the power consumption is 4200W. Wow that's a very power hungry piece of equipment. Does anyone has experience with this kind of situation? Can I plug this amp to a power outlet from my surge protector that has 5 other outlets that feeds my other audio equipment (dvd, vcr, denon avr3802, ...)

If it blows away my circuit breaker or even burns the coper line between the cb to my amp, what's the solution to prevent this from happening?

If I purchase the Paramax 4400, does this solve the problem?

Please advice...

If I purchase the Panamax 4400, does this solve the problem?

Alex
You'd better get an electritian to install a high-current outlet there. 4200W @ 120v is at least 35 amps. This will trip the circuit breaker in your surge protector (probably 15 amps) and then the circuit breaker at your house breaker box (probably 15 or 20 amps.)

G-Man
Alex is probably correct from a safety standpoint. Then again, the odds that your amplifier will ever reach over 150 watts is slim, unless you have the worlds most inefficient speakers.

How big is the room and what speakers (and how many speakers) are you using?

No surge protectors will govern the current draw of the amp. They are meant for electrical surges or spikes, as the name states (ie. lightning strikes). The amplifiers fusing will protect the amp from shorts or drawing too much electricity. But in the unlikely event that you draw so much power, you will need special wiring for your circuit done by an electrician.

AlanMcAloon
Unregistered guest
- but a separate power line from the breaker ONLY for the power amp will really clean up your sources.

Worth the small amount it will cost to get an electrician to install.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us