Onkyo TX-SR605 - getting zone 2 to work

Username: Kw7669

Columbus, OH

Post Number: 1
Ok, I have read a couple of posts that seem to be having similar problems getting Zone 2 to output digital inputs.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR605. I have my cable box, dvd player, and TV all connected using HDMI. So far the only output I can get for Zone 2 is from the AM/FM. I would like to be able to listen to the digital music channels from the cable box on my Zone 2 speakers.

My question is, can I leave the HDMI cables connected and also use standard audio cables from the cable box to the receiver to get Zone 2 to output the music channels? Or will this not work? I understand that there is a firmware update out there, but I don't think that would solve this problem.

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any and all help.

Ken

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2303
­
"My question is, can I leave the HDMI cables connected and also use standard audio cables from the cable box to the receiver to get Zone 2 to output the music channels?"

Ken, only analog sources going into the receiver are available in Zone 2. So hooking up analog R/L cords from the cable box to any available input will work. Of course listening to a music channel in Zone 2 means you won't be able to watch another channel on the cable box in the main room.
­

Columbus, OH

Post Number: 2
Thanks John. I tried connecting the cable box to the CD, CBL, and the DVD input on the receiver and I am not getting anything out of the Zone 2 speakers after I set the Zone 2 to any of those inputs. I still get AM/FM but nothing else.

I have the two plugs on the cable box coming out of the "OUT" L/R (white/red) and I have the other end going into the receiver "IN" "CD" (white/red). When I set Zone 2 to "CD", I get nothing from the Zone 2 speakers. Is there some other setting I'm missing?

Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2304
­
Could this be a setup issue with the cable box? Maybe if you have the audio coming out of the box on HDMI, the box doesn't output audio on the analog line outs.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1348
I guess it is typical that zone 2 only works with analog inputs. Since you have digital output, HDMI into your TV, why don't you just use the analog outputs from your TV to the analog inputs on your 605?

The HDMI cable will deliver the sound to the TV even if you do not use the TV speakers for audio you should still get a line out signal.

Columbus, OH

Post Number: 3
Thanks I will try that.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1350
Let us know if it works or if it's back to the drawing board.

Columbus, OH

Post Number: 4
It doesn't work because i think my Samsung TV output is digital because I am getting nothing from it.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1355
I looked up a Samsung 1080 HDTV on Costc.com. It has a headphone output which you could plug a mini-jack to RCA adapter into and then run the RCA ICs to your analog inputs of your 605.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us