How to transfer music using Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB?

Bronze Member
Username: Lokeyq3

New York

Post Number: 26
Can anyone tell me how I can transfer my vinyl music onto my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P305-S8825) using the USB port.

I thought this would be pretty simple. However, I am finding it very frustrating. I want to transfer the music onto my hardrive and eventually drag/drop it into my iTunes library.

I would appreciate any helpful hints. Step by step instruction would be even better....!

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 28
Can anyone out there help me out with per my previous post.

I have been trying and trying to transfer some of my vinyl so I can eventually move to my iTunes and onto my iPod. However, I am having a really difficult time figuring out how to save the music once recorded.

I tried saving it in MP3 format. However, it tells me I have to download more software (something called Lame which will encode the music and allow it to be exported. My other option was to tranfer it in WAV format.

Again, any suggestions, advice or step by step instruction is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 29
Forgot to mention that I am transferring the music using a Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB. The manual suggested downloading Audacity.sourceforge.net to handle recording. It's a bit confusing for me as this is the first time I have ever tried this. Seems a bit more complicated than I expected.

Username: Chad_parkhill

Post Number: 1
Hi Sherman,

Some advice from another vinyl newbie that will hopefully be of some help.

First, you will need to download the LAME codec in order to transfer your files to .mp3. Audacity doesn't come with LAME bundled in for copyright reasons, but they do point you in the right direction to get it (you'll find that nearly every recording software product you encounter will also need to download LAME). Audacity has detailed instructions on how to do this here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install%26item%3Dlame-mp3

Next, you should pipe the audio in and start recording. Rick Maybury has a really detailed, step-by-step tutorial on how to do this here: http://www.rickmaybury.com/bootpages/boot06/450.htm (It's over several pages; scroll down to the bottom of the column to navigate.)

Since the minijack input on your Toshiba is in mono, you should stick to the USB input option. It sounds as though you have already got audio in from the TT this way, but, if not, you may wish to check that your computer has found your TT over the USB connection. Audacity lets you choose the input source at the top right of the recording screen; your default should be something like 'internal microphone'. If it's not switched to the USB device, change that before recording (you may have to go into preferences to get the program to recognise the USB in).

Some general recording hints:

If you have the harddrive space, it's best to record at a really high sample rate (Audacity goes up to 96000 Hz, and you can alter this at the bottom left of the recording screen) and then downsample after you've fiddled around with noise and click/pop removal and your levels. This gives the program more data to work with when doing noise removals etc, but it will also take longer to process. Also make sure that your input levels are correctly set: the third page of Rick Maybury's tutorial covers this in detail. You don't want 'clipping' from a too-loud track or distortion from equalising a too-soft track.

Finally, it's best to remove as much noise as possible before recording. The included noise filter software in Audacity is okay, but unless you fork out for professional noise removing software (which can be very expensive), then you will lose a lot of the good audio (nuances of the song) alongside the bad audio (hiss, pops/clicks, etc). At worst, your songs will sound as though they were recorded in an echo chamber, or as though they've had the 'guts' ripped out of them (this happened to my first attempt at digitising an old, worn-out copy of The Alan Parsons Project's I Robot). So make sure your cartride is properly aligned, that your counterweight is accurately set, and that there's a minimum of electrical/magnetic activity near your laptop (I found that my modem added a ton of noise if it was too close). You should be able to find all of the info needed for noise elimination in general on this site.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 30
Chad,

Thank you so much for your response. I will follow up on everything you have outlined. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,

Sherman

Username: Chad_parkhill

Post Number: 2
Do let me know if you run into any difficulties or need something explained.

- C
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us