Technics SL-B20

Username: Xylopsyche

Maryland USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all. This is my first post so please forgive me if this topic has been posted to death. I just bought a technics SL-B20 turntable from a thrift store. It works/looks great but the only problem is the ground wire. There is none. Of course, there is the humming and buzzing. I see a hole right beside the red and white out jacks where I believe the ground wire should be. I was hoping someone could send some info on a quick fix to the problem. Does a certain type of ground wire "plug" into this hole or is it more complicated than that.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12742

I don't know the turntable. Have you done any on line research?

Maryland USA

Post Number: 2
Yeah. They led me to these forums. I've seen answers about hooking it up but no detail as to what to do if theres no wire sticking out of the back.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 38
don't know if you ever solved the issue, but I'm familiar with this model and as I recall, there is indeed a recessed "hole" near the rca connectors into which one pushed a ground wire with the suitable connector. it was slightly smaller in diameter but similar in design to a banana plug I believe. you should be able to improvise something should that jack be no longer available. good luck

Username: Chad_parkhill

Post Number: 3
Hi James,

I own a (malfunctioning) Technics SL-5, which has a very similar ground cable setup to the one you describe. The ground cable for this has a standard clip-style connector at one end (which attaches to your amp) and a jack at the other, which is slightly bigger than a 1/8" line jack (which plugs into the TT).

I have no idea how much it would cost to ship the cable from Australia to Maryland, but I'd be happy to give it to you. I'll investigate, and if the cost is negligible (and if I can locate the damned thing), send me your address and I can pass it along.

Maryland USA

Post Number: 3
thanks for the offer Chad. I work at a thrift store and amazingly a never used, still in the box Technics MCS turntable came in and I bought it. I like the look of it and being never used and with my employee discount I couldn't refuse. And it's ground wire is intact..lol...but thanks again for responding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us