Cartridge change for a Rega P3

Username: Dimi

Post Number: 4
Hello everyone

I recently had an accident with my stylus(a Goldring G1022)on a Rega P3 and I am thinking of upgrading my cartridge instead of just changing the stylus. I want to keep using my MM board on my Densen B110, so I am only considering high-output MCs (thinking that they would be better than MM's of similar price). Also budget is an issue, 220-230 euro would be my roof. So, the:

1. Denon DL-160 (130 euro)
2. Dynavector 10X5 (not sure, more than 200 probably)
3. Sumiko Blue Point No.2 (230 euro)

seem the obvious choices. I mostly listen to rock, electronica and some jazz. I would appreciate any comments and recomendations.

Thanx!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12739

The Rega arm is good enough to work with any cartridge in your price range. You have to decide what sort of sound you would prefer. And I wouldn't necessarily conclude MC's are going to be better than MM's in this price range. They each have their virtues and cheap MC's aren't always telling of what a truly high end cartridge can produce. Don't disregard the MM's just because someone told you or you read about some mc that was giving you a "taste" of what a good MC can provide.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7097
The Dynavector 10x5 is a natural match for the P3 and works well with any kind of music. It's an excellent tracker and is also very quiet.

Post Number: 5
Thank you Art and Jan for your comments.

Jan, I wouldn't disagree of course, it's just that it's not easy to audition different cartridges for obvious reasons, so I'm relying heavily on recommendations and reviews. And obviously, I'm not expecting high end with my budget. But anything better than what I currently have would be welcome. I will happily read your recommendations -oh, and my amp is a Densen B110 (so maybe you get a picture of what my cup of tea tastes like).

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12744

Nope, sorry, I don't know the amplifier.

I understand how difficult it is to audition cartridges. There has never been a good way to go about it even when vinyl was the only option for high quality sound.

What I'm saying is you need to decide what is important to you. We have not much more experience with any one cartridge than you do and our perspective will be colored by the same limitations you are working under, only different limitations based on the system we heard the cartridge working with and our own preferences. How valuable does that make our "recommendation"?

Rather than have us tell you what we like, I think you would be better off telling us - and yourself - what you like. Don't buy a MC just because people talk about MC's as being this or that. There are excellent cartridges at all price ranges if you know what you are looking for. Telling me you own a specific amplifier doesn't tell me what you want to hear. I don't know why you bought that amplifier. I've sold products simply because they were the right color.

Lay out, in specific terms what you want to hear - what are you priorities and how are they not being fulfilled at the present time? Once we all know what you want, then it's much easier to find.

Post Number: 6
You're right Jan, I'm sorry for the sloppy post. Well, I'll try giving you (and me!) an idea.

The Densen allegedly belong to the "Naim camp" of PRAT. When I audiotioned my B110 side by side with a Nait 5i with my speakers (the modest but reliable PSB Image T45), I found it to be as fast and precise as the Naim, but with more "air" at both the low and high ends, and much more transparent and easy going. It's a very enjoyable amp, with very smooth sound while it allows you to follow every instrument even in complex recordings -its only "fault" is that the bodies are a bit on the thin side (sorry about the terminology, I'm just directly translating from Greek sometimes -I hope you get the meaning).

So, to try and put it simply: I would appreciate a fast, accurate, rythmic and yet smooth sound, plus a wide and deep soundstage if possible. Also, as I own a lot of old vinyl, low surface noise is important.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7100
That would be the Dynavector 10x5....

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 66
I would add a denon 110 into the mix, I have compared it with 10 x 5 on a P25/rb600. In some areas the 10x5 wins out, in others the 110. The 110 was renewed in my system, as it did just that bit more that pleased me in my system. A bonus is that in the UK a 110 is GBP65-70, the 10 x 5 is GBP 250.00. The differences between the 110 and 160 are small, the 160 may, just may be a touch more forgiving of surface noise on old vinyl, but the biggest difference is one is red, the other blue.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12747

I don't normally do recommendations but I would suggest you consider the Denon. Unless they have changed the sound of the cartridge the Denon is an inherently musical cartridge. Not much in the way of fireworks but very musical. In that same category I would, from what I've read only, suggest the new Ortofon line, the Blue should be in your price range. Once again a very musical cartidge line as are the Grados.

Staying with moving coils with reasonably high output, I would consider the Benz line. If you are looking for a bit more flash and analysis of what's in the groove, then the Sumiko or the Dynavector you mention would be good choices.

Those recommendations are based on my tastes considering what you have told me you believe you are looking for. Heck, I'd even give the Audio Technica OC9 a consideration just because I think it deserves more attention than it gets.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3045
Not wishing to put a spanner in the works...

Dimitris, Goldring have recently launched their new 2000 series of cartridges. These have impressed me very much in Rega decks. The new top of the range 2500 (£185) is particularly sweet with good depth and excellent rhythm and swing. My experience of Denons is that they offer very good value for money, but I always feel they leave a little bit to be desired in emotional communication. This is also true of the Audio Technicas. Very good technically, all the pieces are there, just not quite hanging together to give a performance.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 54
The Dynavector 10x5 is a wonderful cartridge at its price point. Currently I am using it with my Rega P5 with pleasant success. Keep in mind that you will need a Rega 2mm shim under your tonearm should you decide on the 10x5.

Post Number: 7
Hello everyone

After taking every one of your advices (also from a thread I started in Greece, that had very similar views) into account, and after reading every review and similar thread I could find, I bought the Benz Micro MC20E2. I reached the conclusion that any one among the Denon, the Dyna and the Benz would be fine, but:
1. The 10X5 in Greece is 90 euros more expensive than the Benz (that's about $140)
2. It was crucial for me to have someone more experienced than me do the adjustments on the TT, and the Benz dealer was much more flexible with these arrangements and also had the cart in stock.
3. As for Frank's recommendation that I always value, the 2500 was way above my budget (the initial plan was to replace my cart for the price of a 1022 stylus, that is 150 euros), and I took into account Thomas Sillensen's (Densen's chief designer) opinion that a high output MC would be a perfect match for the B110's phono stage.

I am very happy with my first few hours with the MC20E2, I will let you know once it settles (if anyone's interested, that is).

Thank you everyone for being so helpful!

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 267
We are definitely interested D.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 533
I would like to try a better cart in my Rega P3 but am apprehensive about being able to do the work properly with my pipe wrenches and torches. The closest turntable dealer is 2500 miles away.
Another concern is that if I cannot install the cart properly then I will probably not get the old one back on right either.
Are my fears realistic? Do I need special tools and instruments?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12776

You need a small group of average tools and lots of patience - along with good eyesight or a magnifying glass.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 534
Thanks a million Jan!
I can get the tools and the mag glass, but not so sure about the patience.
Maybe my Rega Elys2 cart sounds ok for now after all.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7207
"I can get the tools and the mag glass, but not so sure about the patience.

Maybe my Rega Elys2 cart sounds ok for now after all."

LOL!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 535
But seriously, do you think the improvement to the Dynavector 10x5 would be worth all the effort? (And possible frustration?)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10466
Probably, Kevin.
Since you have sooo much light these days, you my as well use it to help with the squinting.

Relax your ham-fists with a Scotch and set it up, man.

The nuts that hold on the cart require a 3mm wrench. Grow your nails, LOL!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 536
I may as well give it a try. I have plenty of time since I don't work much, esp when fall comes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7209
"But seriously, do you think the improvement to the Dynavector 10x5 would be worth all the effort? (And possible frustration?)"

Yes.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 537
OK, I'll shop around. Do your OR guys in your profile sell it?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7217
Yes...Eugene HiFi does.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 539
Thanks, I wrote to them

shhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the boss!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3061
Kevin,

The Dynavector does not have a stylus guard unfortunately, so please exercise care. Don't be timid with the cartridge, just exercise care and attention. Thankfully, at long last, the latest 10x5s have turned holes in the top plate so it's much easier to fit than it used to be.

Personally, I attach the wire tags first (using small long-nose pliers), then holding the body at the sides, raise it to the headshell and screw in place. I use the small nylon washers that come with the cartridge too, so they don't mark the headshell.

Important note - for correct VTA, you need a 2mm spacer for the tonearm since the Dynavctor (along with most cartridges) is taller than the Regas. This is important otherwise it doesn't sound half as good. Fit the spacer first, then the cartridge. You need to remove the arm from the deck to fit the spacer below it. If you have a P3 or Planar 3, the arm is an RB300 and you need to remove it by undoing the huge nut under the arm from underneath the deck. Also remove the tonearm cable grip, then thread the cable through the hole where the base of the arm was. Slip the spacer (a 2mm thick aluminium ring in this case), all the way up to the armbase and reapply the arm. The large nut holding the arm in place is larger than most spanners allow so check before you start!

If you have a P3-24, this has the newer RB301 which has a 3-point mounting at its base located in place by 3 screws. You still need to go through the same palaver, but you're bound to have a screwdriver...!

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 56
When I mounted my 10x5 to my Rega p5 I first removed the tonearm in order to install the spacer. I slid the spacer onto the tonearm, fished the wires back through the base most of the way, and at that point I mounted the cartridge loosely on the tonearm. With the tonearm not inserted into the base I was able to have easy access to both the top and bottom. This made mounting the cartridge easier for me. With small needle nose pliers I placed the wires very carefully on to the cartridge. Then finished mounting the tonearm on the base. Finally the cartridge position adjustments.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 540
Thanks much Frank. If I remember, you had recommended this cart when I first got the table but I waited to see how I liked the cart that came with it. I did but am getting to be an LP nut again.
Great info!
Thanks to Bill too.
Now with all this help I can't back out! Art's guys have the spacers and the gage so I will be all set apparently.
I will let you know when the time comes.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 543
It is in the mail !!!

shshshshshshshsh!

Art, your guys are fast and efficient. Dale helped me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7310
They are very good with customer service.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3078
oooh oooh tell us how you get on.... :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7315
You mean how Kevin is enjoying the cartridge Frank?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 546
It is still in the mail but I will report when I install it.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3082
er...I was just trying to add to the tension...badly.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 568
I still have not started the cartridge swap out. The Van den Hul alignment gauge is supposed to have instructions on the back. If that colored paint is words, maybe I can use the scanning electron microscope at the university to decipher it.
The website says: "Our mirror-scaled Cartridge Alignment Gauge allows for a fast and accurate optimum alignment of your phono cartridge.
Alignment instructions included."

Perhaps technically true, but in reality the instructions are useless to me. I can gaurantee you that old man A.J. van den Hul cannot read it!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7483
A.J. gots good eyes brotha!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 569
Another thing, on examining the tt, I see the cartridge is held by allen, hex screws, so not the tiny screwdriver I had handy. This is going to take a while!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7504
Did ya get it done Kevin?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 571
No luck, the tool store was closed for the weekend, but Eugene HiFi came through with the instructions, so I will get with it soon. Great service from them!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3149
Kevin, the 10x5 should come with its own screws which are not allen key jobs. Use the screws that come with the cartridge. The latest versions of the 10x5 have self tapped screw holes so the screws must be the same type otherwise you could cross thread the cartridge which would be annoying...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2944
I think he was referring to the screws that hold the present cartridge, not the 10x5. He doesn't have the tools to remove it before installing the 10x5.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 573
True, the old Rega Elys2 cart is held with 2mm hex screws. I bought the allen tool on the way home from work then went to sleep!
I see the Dyno 10x5 came with 2mm hex screws as well as new wires.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3154
Ah that's right, they switched to hex screws - and I think the cartridge comes with an allen key doesn't it?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 575
No key, I bought one Mon, hope to do it Tues after work.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 576
So I finally got the Dyno installed! Thanks to all for the input.
Sounds great. Worth the effort. First test was a classic piano trio that I had just played before: Ray Bryant- 'All Blues' on Pablo with Sam Jones- bass, Grady Tate-drums.
For something lively to catch my wife's attention: Abbey Road.

1- The instructions say to use 2 grams VTF dial. The turntable had been set by the dealer at 1.5 so I am going with that until I get further information.

2- One strange thing is that now the needle does not lift off the lp with the lever arm. I have to lift it higher by hand or it scrapes across the lp. Apparently the 2mm spacer that comes with the cartridge does not raise tone arm enough. There is not enough thread hanging below to add another spacer. There was barely enough with the 2mm washer. I have to say that this cartridge is too tall for this table. Somewhat annoying, "a fly in the ointment"

Could I go with a thinner mat? Now I have the felt one that came with the table.

I wonder if I removed the plastic washers from the cart, would it be enough? Probably not. They aren't that thick.

I am not going to do that now after going through that tedious calibration. The Van den Hul gauge would be a lot easier to use if they used dark ink for the center line to distinguish it from the other 10 parallel white lines all running together. With the invisible instructions, I am somewhat underwhelmed with that tool, but it did get it done.

Now on to some ECM lps!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7515
That doesn't make sense Kevin....Frank will be along with words of wisdom...but with the 2mm spacer my 10x5 had plenty of clearance on my P5...I'm sure that it should have with yours as well.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 577
Possibilities: ?
1-cart needle is pointed/pulled down more than it should be,
2- mat is fatter than normal,
3- nylon washers should be on top instead of between cart and tonearm

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 578
I pulled the washers out from the cart screws and now the needle does not touch when the lever is up until it gets to the last song on the lp.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3159
Kevin,

Some observations:

The nylon washers are to protect the top of the headshell from being scratched. They're meant to be threaded onto the screw first then the screw placed over the tonearm headshell and screwed into the cartridge.

I don't really understand what's going on in point 2 when you say "Apparently the 2mm spacer that comes with the cartridge does not raise tone arm enough." I didn't think a 2mm spacer came with the cartridge. I'm assuming that you're talking about the Rega spacer which fits under the tonearm itself. A genuine 2mm spacer does raise the cartridge enough for it to be about right.

If you need to raise the arm more than you are getting currently (and it sounds like you do), this can be done. You need a very very fine allen key, no idea what size. When you use the lift/lower wand to raise the tonearm, there's a hydraulic lift on the other side whichraises a curved bar. The curved bar sits on a vertical column that sits in around enclosed well. The well has a grub screw which you can loosen using the very very fine allen key. Once loosened, you can pull up the curved bar a couple of mm to make the arm rise higher.

Do NOT use a thinner mat - that'll change the presentation of the deck (subtly).

Use 2gm VTF. 1.5gm is way too light and will sound a tad undisciplined, lightweight and just plain busy. 1.5 suits the Ortofon, not the Dynavector.

Cheers,
Frank.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 579
Thanks Frank!

To raise the curved tone arm lifting bar would be good. I see the tiny (maybe 1mm) screw which seems to be holding the bar on the vertical post. Since the bar is on the top there wont be much height to give. I will loosen it and see what happens.

I had put the nylon washers between the cart and the arm but now put them on top of the tonearm as you said. Now the needle only touches toward the center.

The 2mm spacer, which went under the tonearm, came from the Dynavector dealer (Eugene HiFi).
With it under the arm, only about half the threads show through so the nut is held on by half the threads instead of the normal minimum "full nut". While googling around for info I see that there is also a 4mm spacer washer available (needledoctor, md etc). No way would you catch a thread at all underneath to put the nut on.

I did go back to the 2 gram setting right away, so I got one thing right on my own!

OK, now to go get the 1mm hex tool. To be continued....

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 580
Bravo Frank!
That screw on the lever is .050, which is the smallest and only one below 1/16 in the allen sets. If you buy metric, 1.5 is the smallest and is too big.

So I loosened it and pulled the bar up. It went WAY up leaving a big space from the needle to the lp. It looks like 3/8 inch max.

I don't see how this screw at the top allows the vertical pin to go up when the lever and screw is already at the top, but it does work. Magic?

Now all is perfect.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10649
very good, KC.

Now listen to your great music!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7518
Outstanding Kevin...enjoy!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3166
Kevin,

The screw at the top? No, the screw going into the round well. Not sure how it works either, but it's not the screw holding the curved bar in place.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3167
I tried looking at the Tonearm manuals on the website but all they say is that your dealer can adjust this for you! Unfortunately I have a feeling I'm on the wrong side of the world...

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 581
I loosened the screw on the side of the base of the curved bar and it allowed the bar to be raised.
It solved the problem!

My internet is broken but I snuck in on the neighbors wireless.

More improvements:
I put 8" of concrete under the table. Rega recommends against a wood base.
I moved the Rotel 1070 Integrated amp to power the P3 turntable.
Sounds great!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 582
Frank is the hero now!!!
Somehow, that piston, or vertical rod must have slipped down to a lower resting place.

Oops, that is 4 inches of solid pavers. I have not researched this method, but stole the idea from the pics thread. For now I cannot fit a proper cabinet in that room but need a solid base.

Art and Nuck, I am refocused on the music now ;) Playing some favorites and reference lps.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7524
Right on Kevin!

Wish I could say the same. My TT is down. Problems with the wiring. Off to the shop tomorrow...again.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 584
Sorry to hear. Well, at least you have people to go to around there.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7527
True...

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 588
That tonearm adjustment lever is not a mystery after all. On readjustment I see that the tonearm lift is like a cap on the vertical rod. There is plenty of room between the screw and the top of the rod to get the amount of space you want above the lp. Like a screw holding your baseball cap on.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3183
Yeah, d'uh! I was being stoopid once again...

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 593
You were a tremendous help. Made it happen. Thanks for the input!

Really enjoying the table. I will post on the music thread on some discoveries from the past.

The cartridge store has made some suggestions for improving my system more with good wire but I am too busy now to think about it. I have one more heating system to install before it gets cold. Just finished one today.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3192
Good wire? If they're talking incognito, that's a very worthwhile upgrade. The problem is they need to know how to mess around with the arm. Thise bearings are setup very carefully and last I heard Rega have only certified one other company to be able to do that job (Michell). But I can certainly vouch for the Incognito upgrade - made a huge difference to my Mission Mechanic (which was already far better than a Rega).

That said, if you're enjoying it, why make a change?? Just enjoy. Do all that rediscovering. It's great fun!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 594
They are happy with my table now. (me too). Their suggestion was for interconnects, RCA and speaker wire.

Eugene HiFi "...Apollo's weakest link is the stock Rega power cable. We highly recommend replacing it with a van den Hul Mainsserver. This power cord takes the player to a new level. Of course, without some investment in to the other cables, the results will always be limited..."

Art could tell us if his experience confirms that.

The only good cables I have are the RCA pair from the Apollo to the Mira3 (thanks to Darren).

I should start with Mike's suggestion to try the Dareds.

I am content for now. Will probably get restless in winter.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7604
The Dared's are OK, however the van den Hul's I have blow them away in my system.

The Mainserver is the only power cord that I tried with the Apollo that made a positive difference...and I tried a bunch. I tried a Naim, Cardas, Analysis Plus, Signal and others and all of them made a difference just not a good one. I came to the conclusion that I liked the stock one best....until the vdH Mainserver. Enhanced weight and detail without changing the overall tonal balance and while letting alone the pace and timing that Rega is famous for.

Do you need other aftermarket cables to benefit...It helps...immensely. The Well Hybrid interconnect I'm using between the Apollo and Mira 3 is just the ticket...relatively inexpensive and has outstanding performance.

Best case Scenario then is that a person could also afford the Mainstream power cord for the Mira....I couldn't and went with the base Kimber PK10. Many of the same qualities as the Mainstream and Mainserver with just a bit more grain...not enough to be distracting. So those are the cables I use..specific questions welcomed.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 597
Thanks for the info. I will save that for winter when I get ready to do some more upgrading.
When I get on that spree, I will start another thread.
After Christmas, I go to Seattle for a few weeks, then overseas for 2 months, then back to Washington and Oregon for 2 months, ending up back here in AK by May.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10709
KC, Art really didn't like the dared's, he is being kind because I gave them to him.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 601
Always the gentleman.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7650
How's the weekend treatin' you fella's. Think it's time for an Alaskan Summer Ale...eeehaw!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 603
Yes, and Pancho Sanchez playing at the Apollo.
I was surprised that so far, his was my wifes' favorite show that I have dragged her to.

But I am still stuck on Oregon Ales for a while now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us