Headphones for guitar?

Username: Mny90

Post Number: 1
Hello everybody. I'm new here. I'm looking for some advice on getting a headphone set for my amp so I can play without bothering everyone in my house :P

I've got a Marshall MG-15 CDR (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MG15CDR&pageType=SPECS). Anyway, I heard that if you mess up things you can end blowing up your amp so I wanted some advice.

Also, has anyone tried these http://www.voxamps.co.uk/amplug/ They look cool but I dont understand how they completely work. Anyway, thanks for the help :D

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12733

They do look like a good idea. I've been looking at them myself. I'd say give them a try. You can always return them if they don't work for you. And let us know what you think of them.

Post Number: 2
I sure will. Anyone knows if these would be a better idea than buying a headphone alone and plugging it in my amp?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12745

A headphone without power won't give you any sound. You'll need something to step up the output voltage from the guitar pickups. That's what those little devices are all about.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1955
http://line6.com/pocketpod/

This is more expensive (about 3 times here) than the amplug, but much, much more versatile.

Post Number: 3
Can you turn OD off?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12777

If you're still looking for a headphone amp, this is what I settled on. I gave up some portablility - though not much really - for some versatility. This thing sounds great, better than my regular Vox amp. It has sustained that goes on for days and excellent control of the overdrive. You can achieve a fair amount of variety with the three controls provided and with headphones this little amp really rocks! Through the speaker or the headphones this amp plays as loud as you would ever want from most amps used in a domestic setting and certainly from any amp you can carry around with you. It's light and it has a belt clip so it is as portable as it gets unless you give up the versatility to get something like the plug in Vox headphone amp. This is also the best price I've seen on this amp; http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-Honeytone-N-10-Guitar-Mini-Amp-481850-i13 98410.gc

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1961
Well I might be, anyway. Looks great and so is the price - there!

Here, as usual, we get ripped off. The best I can do is about $79 + $15 postage or from the States about $55.00 inc postage.

But I think I'll wait and learn some more (taking it more seriously now). I just sold my cheap Chinese Fender and a crappy acoustic for a better cut-away moulded back acoustic with pick up and loving it.

I also purchased ( for a great price) a 30 watt Kustom Acoustic amp and had to replace it after 2 weeks as the Chorus effects made the speaker rumble. The shop just swapped it over and all's well. Another Chinese made item, but it does sound fairly good. I'll keep an eye out for a better price on your recommendation though.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12784

If it would work out, I'll buy one here and ship it to you, Rantz. I think this is a great little amp for everyday knocking around. I would even say this would be an interesting little amp to use with a mic in front of it feeding into a larger amp/cabinet if you wanted to fill a large space for cheap cash but wanted the type of sustain and overdrive that you can't get from low priced solid state guitar amps.

Let me know if you want me to pick one up for you.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10474
And no 'men at work'albums to bother with!

hehehe

Still cracks me up!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1962
Jan, thanks for your kind offer - sent you a PM.

Nuck - me too!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1354
Jan, let me know when you want me to drop off my Men at Work collection.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1965
Be sure to take the Vegemite sandwiches too, Mike! (Puts a rose on every cheek lol!)

I missed out on the Zoom A2 Jan, but I think I'll keep looking for another. The mini amp looks great and would be fun I know, where as the Zoom would be more beneficial at present (and also fun).

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1968
Okay, picked up a used Zoom A2 for a reasonable price. While only spending the past hour with it I'm very impressed at present. It can be used with headphones or amp. The guitar simulations sound very good as do most of the effects. The on-board rhythm section while limited to 40 variations can be speed and volume controlled and also sounds quite good. This model is for acoustic guitars with similar ones (G2) for electric. Worth an audition imo and certainly worth what I paid.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us