Accutech AMC-4914: Turntable won't turn?

Username: Peppermintblood

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a record player at a flea market, an Accutech AMC-4914. It's one of the newer CD Player/Tape Deck/Record Player all-in-one models. The man I bought it from assured me that everything worked on it except the turntable, and that it could probably be fixed with a new turntable belt. However, when I got it home and looked at the belt this evening, it looks to be in good condition.
I really don't know anything about record players, but the band is not worn or cracked and it seems ok. Could there be something else wrong with it? If so, could I fix it myself, or would I have to have someone who knew how to fix them to do the work for me? Thanks!

Post Number: 2
Anyone? Please? It's a gift for my parent's anniversary which is on July 2nd, so I'm trying to get it fixed ASAP.
I looked at it further: the peg that turns the belt works fine when the belt isn't on it, so I'm guessing that means either the belt is stretched out or that the motor is having a problem getting enough power to the peg to spin the turntable? Would a new belt help, or am I wasting $20? I paid less than that for the record player.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12721

It's impossible to troubleshoot a turntable over a forum. If the motor spindle turns without the belt, then it would be a good guess to replace the belt. You have to decide whether a $20 investment in a belt is worth the chance or whether you should just buy something guaranteed to work out of the box.

Post Number: 3
Another question then: do I have to buy the specific belt for the model, or can I get one that is the same size? I'm guessing I would just measure the belt folded in half and times the measurement by two to get the belt size, correct?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12722

Don't know. If the platter won't spin because the belt has stretched and lost tension, your method won't work. Try wrapping a string around the platter and the motor spindle and taking that dimension minus about 10-15%. The dimension of the belt is not critical since it will stretch a considerable amount. As long as it is not so small that it pulls on the platter bearing or so large it won't grip the platter you should be fine.

Try this before you buy a belt. Take the belt that is on the table and clean both the underside of the platter where the belt runs and the belt with alchohol. Liberally dust only the belt with talcum/baby powder. Shake off the loose powder and replace it on the platter. If the platter spins, you still need a new belt since this is only a temporary fix. If it still doesn't spin, you may still need a new belt as the current item may be too stretched out to work at all.

Another way around this is to tie a length of dental floss around the platter/spindle. Measure the distance and again reduce the lenth just enough to make a snug fit between the spindle and platetr. Tie the floss with a granny know or square knot and place it on the table. If you've got the length right, this should turn the platter though probably not at the right speed since the floss will tend to slip. But that should let you know whether a new belt might be in order.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1330
Does the platter spin freely when propelled by hand with the belt removed?

If it does not it may be a bearing and oil issue. Bearing might be missing or might need oil added. This would be best handled by a service technician.

Could be a reason the table was only $20.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

P.S. Have you tried the tape deck and CD player, do they work okay? You could always spend the money on a couple of CDs and let your parents decide if they want to get the Turntable going.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us