IMF MK IV Reference Monitors - Do I sell or keep?

Username: Jordanb

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 1
Hi All

I own a a pair of IMF MK IV Reference Monitors (with stands) that were originally purchased by my father in the late 70's. They have been sitting in my basement for a few years. I am very attached to them, but do not have room in my house.

Is there a market for these speakers? If so, where is the best place to sell. Also, how much?

Lastly and most importantly, if i were to keep them and use them again in the future, how is the sound quality on these speakers compared to new ones?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 268
Have you seen this?

http://imf-electronics.com/RSPM/rspmmkiv2.html

Or this:

http://cgi.ebay.at/I-M-F-RSPM-MK-IV-improved-legendaere-LS-e-LP-3750-EURO_W0QQit emZ380013245154QQihZ025QQcategoryZ23323QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like they might be worth a fair bit of money!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12720

Most of the IMF products were quite good for their time though they represented the decidedly personal viewpoint of their designer. The drivers are probably KEF in origin which means they have potential. Transmission line bass is not your typical boom and bluster. All IMF products, however, were voltage insensitive designs in terms of power input. They will require a fairly substantial amplifier and they always sounded best with the highest quality, highest power output amplifier the owner could afford.

If you decide to sell, the speakers are worth what someone will pay. Do a search to get an idea of pricing and don't turn down a good offer. The KEF drivers - if that's what is in your sepakers - are no longer available as replacements and that cuts into the desireability of any speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3012
Jan speaks sense as usual. I believe I recognise some of those drive units and they look like KEF's. Those units had long lifespans so provided they haven't perished the speakers could still work well. Even in a perished state there will be people around prepared to pick up the speakers and reuild with reconditioned drive units. They're not work zero but their worth is dependant on their condition.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us