Got my CA 540R hooked up

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1006
Received my Cambridge Audio 540R the other day via UPS. The box looked like it had been dropped from a 10 story apartment building, and the packing job was exactly professional. I contacted Jack at Spearit sound and he assured me that if I had any problems with the receiver he would take care of it. Classy organization, I highly recommend them.

Got the receiver hooked up last night. My first impression is that this is very heavy for a receiver (weighs in at almost 40 lbs). It was late at night by the time I'd finally got everything connected, so I couldn't really put it through some paces, but so far I really like it.

If you like an AVR with lots of bells and whistles and tons of DSP modes, then this one is not for you. Besides the usually Dolby/DTS processing it has about a half dozen DSP modes. The "Theatre" mode seems to sound the best for watching TV.

I'll post some more thoughts and some photos of my new rig once I get a chance to evaluate it more.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1012
One thing I've noticed now after doing some serious 2 channel listening is that CA receiver has a somewhat "laid back" sound that I am not used to. The more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it though. The CA/Bryston/MA combo is nice.

I'm using my left over NAD C272 to drive my Klipsch's in my dining room (as my 'B' channel). This sound I am not enjoying so much.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7007
Very nice David...ofcourse the Cambridge is laying waste to the Pioneer...I'd guess (plus I've been told).

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10346
David, does the CA have a phono?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1014
Don't believe so, Nuck.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1615
The Cambridge should definitely lay waste to the Pioneer indeed.

David- NAD and Klipsch go together like Steak and Peanut Butter. lol

Glad to hear you are enjoying the CA.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1023
Thanks Nick.

Yeah, the NAD/Klipsch combo is not so fun. But one of my Klipsch's is on the way out, so I'm shopping...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1025
Steak and peanut butter?

There's a place here in Ottawa that serves peanut butter on hamburgers. Steak and and PB may not be too far off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
lol seriously? WAH!!!

David were your Klipsch speakers in the dinning room small bookshelf speakers? If so, why not pick up a pair of MA RS1's for total MA enjoyment and throw the Paradigm Atoms in the dinning room? lol just throwing ideas out there man. I am tired tonight man, so I may sound nuts. Please let me know. Busy week....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1028
I'm actually using my Atoms in my kitchen on yet another system (I know, I know...). I'm using a really small pair of Energys as my surrounds on my HT. I'm actually considering picking up a pair of Paradigms for the dining room, though. Maybe some v5 Titans?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1618
Nice.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1030
or maybe another pair of MA's...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7029
The V5 Titan are one the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard...don't go there. More MA's...that's the ticket.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1032
What don't you like about the Titans, Art? I have the v5 Atoms and they're surprisingly good!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7030
The Atoms are good...at work no time to discuss...the Titans are just plain bad...I have a very good source who has discussed the design philosphy of that speaker with those who would know and it explained what we heard...ick! That's really all I can say without causing someone trouble.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1619
Art has a point. The titans play music, and given a good source and amp can sound OK. The new V5 Titans however are all over the map. You should see the measurements of the new titans. Horrible. I know I know measurements again, but these speakers will not sound as good as the Atoms, and nowhere near anything MA makes. I would go with even the little MA Bronze monitors in a heart beat over the new V5 Titans IMO. The Atoms and 9's IMO are the only speaker to look at in the new V5 line. My dealer says the design of the new V5 Titans are flawed all over the place, even their covers are poorly designed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us