How to earth / ground amp?

Username: Lacidarem

Auckland, Auckland New Zealand

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am new here. I have tried to search the old posts, but could not find an answer to my question (maybe it's too basic)?

I have a ca 20 y.o Technics SU-500 "New Class A" integrated amplifier. It works well, but when I touch the buttons or the casing, it generates small cracking noises through the loudspeakers. It may also generate these noises as I listen to music, although I am not 100% sure.

It is properly connected to 220V AC current with earth connection (3 wires).

I see that there is a nut and bolt plug with the "earth" symbol at the back of the amp. I assume I should connect a wire there, and that will solve my problem. But... what kind of wire do I need, and where to connect it to at the other end??? - If it was in Europe, I would connect it to the central heating; but I have no central heating here (we are in New Zealand's North Island).

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12710

The connection you see is for earthing a turntable and cartridge not for connection to an earth ground. With a two wire AC cable there really is no need to make any other connection to ground. If you are hearing the crackling when you operate the controls, the amplifier needs to be cleaned. You can do this if you feel confident working around electronic components or you can have a technician go through the unit. If you hear a discharge when you touch the unit, you need to treat the surfaces of the equipment with an anti-static cleaner.

Post Number: 2
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2996
Hang on Mark! You're over in NZ where they use a full 3-core earthing scheme like we do in the UK. I'm somewhat alarmed by what you said. It sounds to me like the amplifier may be shorting out on the case. If I were you I would find a qualified electronics technician to give it a once over. I would also check that the case isn't going live when switched on using an ordinary tester. I very much doubt that this is the case, but if it is, the unit should not be used. You could be in danger of a serious electrical fault.

I strongly advise you to take it to a qualified electronics technician.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
OK, thanks for the heads up; will do!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us