Are my speakers broken or is it my amp??

Username: Mandrum

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am really puzzled, the sound from my hi fi seems to be suddenly less powerfull and the low bass sounds I was getting have vanished. However, the speaker cones appear fine, and they are thumping as normal, even the bass ones, when sound comes out. Just all seems much less bassy and less powerfull. I was scared to turn my amp up full in case I blew speakers now amp turns up full fine, with no apparent distortion in bass, which also was a threat previous, please help?

Bronze Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 43
Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.

A little more info might help myself and others suggest a cause/solution.

Can you describe your system? Speakers? Amp? 5.1 or 2 channel? What is your source? etc.........

Please clarify what is meant by "was scared to turn my amp up full in case I blew speakers now amp turns up full fine, with no apparent distortion in bass..."

Are you saying the bass has returned to its normal state?

Sometimes a kit will sound better on some days than others. I know it is strange but it happens.

How long was your system "not sounding as it should?"

Use the law of non-common elements and non-common effect to determine the cause.

Did you move ANYTHING, change any cables, add a new rug to the room?

But please let us know what your gear is. That will be the first step.

Post Number: 2
I have a Roksan Kandy mk3 amp, Roksan Kandy mk3 cd player, B&W 604 s3 floorstanders, project expression 3 turntable, Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 Bridge, chord odyssey 2 speaker wire (2x3 m lengths), Chord cobra 3 interconnects. The Roksan stuff and speakers are second hand, though look as new, the speakers are perhaps 6 years old, everything else is new. Thanks.

Post Number: 3
P.S. Stereo system speakers (not 5.1) only. Bass was quite overpowering at times, I believe this to be true of B&W 604 s3, particularly for listening to classical music on stereo. However have had all the gear for a fortnight, all new to me, just suddenly the bass seams weak, not as many of the very low tones as was in the first week. There appears to be less bass coming from right channel, although all cones are pushing air and making noise the left channel seems more bassy than the right.

Post Number: 4
The Rokan stuff is around 6months to a year old apparently

Post Number: 5
I was originally scared to turn up amp because I thought there was distortion coming from the tweeters, though I think I was hearing the distortion from the actual recordings. So I started playing music louder, just to see if it was. I was away for the weekend and have just come back, having bought the Graham slee and plugged it in to a separate line in channel on amp the turntable sounded better, no feedback, however overall sound of speakers just less bassy and big. Am I mabay just imagining it and have just got used to the big bass???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Did you move anything in the room? Specifically, did you move the speakers at all?

If there is nothing physically wrong with the speakers and electronics, this would be the most likely, and possibly only, culprit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
One easy thing to do is borrow/demo some other speakers on your kit. Especially if your B/W dealer has a pair of your exact model.

Or, you could try another amp at home and see what the results there are.

In any case, I would try to eliminate possible variables, with use of the equipment in your particular listening position. Meaning, don't bring your speakers to the dealer, they will most likely sound quite different there and not give you a meaningful comparison.

Post Number: 6
Thanks again Patrick, because there has been so many variables taking place over the last 2 to 3 weeks its hard to say which it could be. Because the Roksan and B&W equipment is second hand there isnt much chance getting a shot on similar speakers in the home, or amp for that matter. I have moved the speakers two or three times and have had new speaker wire installed as well as a rug put in the room to dampen the sound. All of which seemed to make little difference at the time, however as the bass is so awsome on these b&w speakers, it could possibly just have been the case of getting used to the bass of which I now am, so dont pick up on it so much. As for the power thing, I really didnt realise how much a difference you get in levels of volume from one recording to another.

I could also be checking stuff as I have a three month warrenty with the Roksan stuff, so if it was dodgy it still could go back with out loosing pennies.

Well, I was listening last night through my amp on a pair of cheap headphones and the music ws much more real sounding, perhaps the speakers are not the best anymore, they only cost 250 British pounds and do look in superb condition, perhaps this will be the first upgrade I make. Any ideas there Patrick?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
I suggest there are a couple things in play.

Firstly, you said you liked the sound prior to making all of these changes correct? So the electronics and speakers are probably fine.

What is the "new speaker wire"??? Definitely try your older cables, that could be it right there.

Otherwise, the rug with have some major effects, as will the general placement of the speakers, as you have experienced.

It doesn't sound like there is any reason to suspect the kit as the problem. I would assume it is all the changes you made.

Remove the rug, does the bass return?

Use the old speaker cables... any difference?

Regardless of whether the rug is to stay or not, if you move it and the bass returns, at least you know where the effect is coming from.

Regarding where, when and what to upgrade? I cant really answer that. My personal suggestion is to look into Naim electronics.

although others will have other opinions...

Username: Gt80rider

USA

Post Number: 2
my guess...... one of the low end drivers is wired out of phase.... sounds crazily simple... but everyone has done it before, even the very best of us (even if it was the wife after having moved our speakers without permission for cleaning purposes!! LOL)...

Post Number: 9
Thanks again guys I feel so stupid. I think its all been a bit much getting used to good hi fi gear again and after being blown away with the power of the bass I had started to believe it was all a bit over powering. Now I am used to it I was thinking there was something wrong. Well it sounded just fine yesterday, and I was back in love with the stuff again, so sorry about all the daft questions. However, after listening through cheap headphones, I definitely need to do something with my speakers, by the way any one have a rule for the smallest size of room you can put floorstanders in, mine is 3.5 x 4 m2 and around 3 to 3.5 tall. Basically fairley small to average with big ceiling.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us