Rega P1 Help

Username: Half_n_half17

Post Number: 1
I'm having an annoying issue with my new Rega P1, so hopefully someone can help me. On certain LP's I can hear annoying distortion in the high frequencies. To best describe it, when a lyric comes up with any kind of "pssst" sound in it, the "ssst" portion of it sounds broken up just enough to make it sound unnatural. It sounds distorted, almost like it's rattling. I've confirmed that it's not the speakers or phono preamp. I definitely don't have this issue when listening to CD's. I have a NAD-PP2 and I've swapped that for the phono section of an old pioneer reciever with similar results. Again this happens on certain LP's more than others, but it's happening frequently enough to think that it's not just the LP's. I've fiddled with the VTF, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I've also messed with the bias, and it seems to help slightly, but not enough to make the problem go away. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10267
Yep, try a less 'sibilant' cartridge.
That's what you describe.

Username: Half_n_half17

Post Number: 2
Thanks for helping to put a word to this problem! Can you recommend a cartridge that won't have a similar problem and also won't break the bank? I'm looking at the Ortofon 2m red, but I'm also open to anything in the under $150 category.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12657

"I've fiddled with the VTF, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I've also messed with the bias, and it seems to help slightly, but not enough to make the problem go away. Any suggestions?"

Yes, stop fiddling with things.

You are describing mistracking more than sibilance. Mistracking occurs when the table is not set up correctly - or has been "fiddled" with and thrown out of adjustment - or the cartridge simply is not compliant enough to deal with high level passages. Your problem sounds like the former rather than that latter.

Do a correct set up; http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us