Vintage Turntable Recommendations

Username: Kmhalverson

Post Number: 2
I have been looking at denons, and a few technics turntables. Are those brands fairly consistent as far as quality goes? Any other Recommendations?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12656

What are you asking? Are all Japanese tables of equal value? No, they are not.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 228
Euro TT's of vintage can be had as well.
I had a Dual 1209, about 1970/71 which was fine, but not hi-end, even then.
Dual 1219s are still available in droves.
Buy 2 and have some spares. These are idler drive units. The 1219 has a full 12" platter of good mass / non-magnetic.
My brother had an Elac/Benjamin Miracord he swore by. I preferred the Dual stuff, but there are still plenty of these around, too.
I simply don't know how these guys stack up to currently available TTs. If they are or were junk, so beit. I still have fond memories of them....nostalga strikes again.

Username: Primony

Brewster, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Just found a Garrard 301 transcription turntable in its origial box with all the parts bags unopened. Manual and platter and everthing was dirty from being in a basement for 40yrs but after I wiped it down it was clean, no corrosion or blemish..my question is should I sell it or build a cabnet for it?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10560
My question is 'What do you want to use it for'?
And secondly, do you have the material to play on this deck?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12832

Only you can decide the value of the table to you. Does it have an arm mounted? If not, you'll need to buy an arm. Does the table operate according to Hoyle? Most rubber pieces will have dried out by now and wiil require replacement. The 301 has developed a decent reputation and therefore has a quickly escalating price tag for parts. If you're not prepared to refurbish the unit, sell it and move on.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 548
Last year The Sensible Sound had an in depth article about technics turntables and their upgrading and cartridges.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us