Onkyo reciever TX- SR501 shuts down

Username: Stillman

Il

Post Number: 1
My Onkyo SR501 (3 years old) has started to act up. I had an old pair of floor model Emerson speakers hooked up to my reciever for the past 3 years. One day while watching a movie on the same Sony DVD player i have been using(also 3 years old) the Onkyo shut down into protection mode. Long story short, brought it in and $130 later the repair guy fixed some stuff that was overheated/broke. The reciever worked fine for a bit, til it happened again. I decided to upgrade to JBL speakers (5 desktop and 1 sub system). After bringing the receiver in again and finding nothing wrong with it and having it "reset" it worked again with the new JBL speakers. After watching 2 movies, it shut down into protection mode. I checked speaker wires for shorts or any reversals of polarity. The repair guy said to hold the "fm mode" and "tuning up" buttons down and then turn on to reset. That doesnt work. So now, i guess i must bring it back again. Im out of options as to what is wrong? I unplug it for a week or so and try and turn it on and it turns on for a sec and then shuts down into protection mode. Any help????

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2933
Sorry to say this but it seems that either the initial repair didn't fully fix the unit, or another section of the amplifier has gone down. If it's the original, then the repair should have a warranty, but if it's not it means spending more money on an item that is fast rendering itself obsolete. You could have a word with your repairman to see what he says. If there's no warranty on the original repair, it's likely you'll be spending $130 again. Is this good money after bad? Only you can make this decision.

Actually, it's quite unusual for Onkyo equipment to go down. Onkyo tends to be very reliable kit indeed. Sorry you're having a hard time of it.

Username: Tommysoap

Holiday, Florida U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Heat being the bane of receivers, and amps, I am also having excessive heat from my Onkyo TX SR-501. I was dubbing some MD's to Cassette, with the volume set at "0" the unit still got excessivly hot, my guess this 3 yr old unit is on it's last legs, since I only paid about $300 for it, my guess it will soon be making the trip to the landfill. You get what you pay for, and todays AV receivers in my opinion are over rated {as far as output} crap-ola. I seldom watch movies, and mostly I listen to talk shows through my system with the TV off, so I will now go the Retro route for an old Kenwood intergrated, or Sansui amp, or a new integrated Amp, since radio reception via an antenna is now obsolete since I can stream just about any radio station in the nation through the internet, then into an amplifier.

Il

Post Number: 2
Yes, i would agree. IS it worth it to spend more money on the unit or just scrap it and start again.

Any suggestions of which type of reciever to get for home audio that will support my 5 piece JBL speaker system with external subwoofer?? I Possibly feel like spending up to $500 for a decent reciever.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10270
Hold on, remember the thing is Class A/B.
Class 'A' for a few watts, then Class 'B'. Volume '0' in A is not friendly at all. Just a thought.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2950
Stephen, you're going to swear at me. The most future-proofed product available on the market at that money ($400 I believe) is the Onkyo TX-SR606 which has just replaced the 605 which absolutely murdered the AV receiver market last year because it was the only receiver on the planet to offer support for every single format including the high definition Blu-ray audio formats.

You could find yourself an ex-demo or old stock 605, or shell out for a new 606. If you've gonoe off Onkyo, you'll have to accept that for the moment there isn't a single receiver out there for $500 that supports Blu-ray properly, at least not that I know of.

Nuck, If by Volume 0 he means turned all the way down, the unit should be idling and running at its lowest power output. If it's class A for the first 10w then it should only be dissipating the 50w (10wpc) plus the processor section. That's still enough to run pretty warm if not hot. That said, many receivers actually switch off output to the output stage when muted so I doubt it would be idling that warm. Something else is going on here...

Thomas, if you rarely watch TV, or rarely use the AV receiver for the purpose for which it was designed, you'll get better fidelity with a 2-channel stereo amp into a quality pair of speakers - if you spend the same sort of cash as you did previously. If you don't then there's no guarantee that you will improve the quality situation. Also, the AV receiver market is the one on the move with the newer developments in video scaling, HDMI connectivity and the audio codecs it supports. therefore, bigger jumps are expected in that market since the pace of evolution is so high n that space.

Frank.

Username: Tommysoap

Holiday, Florida U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Frank..the main reason for the Onkyo purchase was to replace a Carver receiver, that was used with my Bose/ Advent speakers, and to go the sub woofer route. Once in a while I will watch a DVD and my 13 inch TV/DVD combo unit actually has a surround sound digital out for multi channel listening. However without the self powered Sub, this Onkyo does not seem to be able to power my speakers the way my 50 watt per channel RCA $89.00 receiver can, that's in my den..by the way the RCA stereo reciver in my den is on 24/7 {2 years} only the TV is turned on/off, the RCA stays ice cold all the time. So I'm concluding the Onkyo, at least at the $300 price point is a POS.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2954
Tom,

I have experience with a few AV receiver brands including Denon, Pioneer, Arcam and Onkyo. All run warm at the very least, even when idling. This doesn't make them POS's but it does mean the Onkyo is not unusual. However, we have noted that the Onkyos do run hotter than expected when there is a signal going through. This doesn't necessarily make them a POS but it does mean they are potentially rather less efficient than the other brands. Incidentally, when it comes to efficiency the most efficient power amp design curently is a Class D or one of its derivates (T or Z typically). These amps run cool because they are between 80 and 90% efficient. They don't sound particularly high quality in most situations, but they're certainly not bad when implemented well.

I don't know RCA as a brand but the $89 price tag tells me that it's unlikely to be high quality, even if it does have the ability to drive your speakers. Of course if your RCA receiver dates back to the 70s, then $89 was a lot of money then and the quality could be far better than your Onkyo. After all $89 in the 70's is nearly $400 of today's money (inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation), and most people agree that if you compare a 2-channel $400 receiver against a $400 5.1 AV receiver you'll probably get more fidelity out of the former, even when you consider all the advances we've made in the last 30 years, or maybe in spite of those advances... :-)

Il

Post Number: 3
What exactly is class A or B when you are talking about speakers?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2961
Nothing. Class A, B or D relate to a power amplifier's mode of operation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us