Rega P5?

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 48
I am considering an upgrade from my Thorens TD165. I have a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge on it. I set it up about a year ago with an older integrated amp with a poor quality phono stage. I now have a Simaudio i3se integrated and ordered a Simaudio LP3 phono stage this morning. Any thoughts on the Rega P5. I plan to start with my Dynavector 10x5. What about this combination?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2690
The P5 is an awsome turntable. The 10x5 works perfectly with it to my ears. Every part of your system that you listed is excellent, and it should all sound phenominal together.

What speakers are you using?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6779
Unless you have a Rega system I think the P5 can be bested by the Scheu Cello...fabulous table.

http://eugenehifi.com/Scheu_Analog/htm/Scheu_Analog_Turntables.htm

I love my P5 and would rather have it than the Scheu with my Rega system...if I had any other system I would pick the Scheu everytime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Stu,
I am using a pair of Dynaudio Contour s1.4.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 173
Art, I'm curious for you to explore this in a bit more detail. I've heard several people say that Regas are "set it and forget it" tables. The Scheu, at least to my uninitiated eyes, does not seem so. What characteristics of the Rega components do you feel make it a good match that might not be present in other systems? Your statement regarding "...any other system and I would pick the Scheu every time" seems pretty definitive. Is there any difference in the fiddle factor? Some people can't stand it if they don't mess around with their gear on a daily basis. I don't have that gene. The Cello seems to be a bit more $ new, and I can't seem to find any resales. I am considering the P5, and it may help Bill so that's why I'm asking.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6802
Not sure about the "fiddle factor"...don't own the Scheu and have never set one up...it juts sounds better.

As far as a Rega components...they have a lighter weight and more pacey sound than any other components I know. They sound good together but can often sound out of place in other systems. The Apollo being an exception.

I like the P5 and am not sorry that I bought it however it's in a very competetive price range when you include the external power supply. Consider the Roksan Radius 5 as yet another table that to many better's the P5.

One of the things I like about the P5 is it's simplicity. Also for a bucks it can be improved...better platter, subplatter, counterwight etc...not sure that I will do any of that because it sounds good to me as is.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 61
There are a wide range of decks at around the Price of a P5, especially if you factor in the cost of the power supply. The Rega is fit and forget, take your time with the set up once, and that's it till you change cartridge. It has the endearing knack of getting straight into the heart of the music. It is, in my view, at its best in a all rega system, with Naim, or exposure, as the system will most likely have been built in a way that plays to Rega's strengths. If the system has been balanced in other directions then other decks, such as Roksan, Scheu or clearaudio may suit your requirements better.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2699
Excellent points made so far. I haven't heard of the Scheu until I read this, so I have no opinions on it, other than it looks interesting.

Two other manufacturers not brought up here that make some quality turntables are Funk Firm and VPI. Funk Firm was started by a few Rega guys. I've heard their tables described as more refined Regas on a few occasions.

VPI turntables speak for themselves. Excellently hand made in the USA. Pretty much McIntosh-esque build and sound quality IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 62
The funk firms founder was Arthur Khoubesserian, formerly the Pink Triangle man. see web sit.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6807
VPI's are well built tables but to my ears sound no where near as good as a Scheu.

The Funk Firm table(s) look interesting...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I finally got a p5 with ttpsu. I set up my Dynavector 10x5, using a 2mm Rega shim under the tonearm. It sounds great. However, there is one problem. When I lift the tonearm to set the needle on the record it does not clear the record. The platter is properly in place. I am using the Rega felt mat. I have to manually lift the tonearm on and off the record. Any ideas?
Thanks

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6883
Hmm, mine clears the record just fine....same setup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Art,
I figured it out. There is a 1.3mm screw on the arm lift shaft. I loosened it and raised the curved rail to clear the record.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6884
Outstanding!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10257
How are you liking it bill

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Wonderful! After setting it up yesterday I only had time to listen to a couple records. Another Spring Saturday with nice weather called me outside for chores and other things.
By the way, any suggestions for low budget record cleaning?

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 253
I haven't tried this, but it's an option I've considered for cleaning on a budget.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/spin.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10259
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/479395.html

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2942
The TTPSU makes all the difference on the P5 in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
For those who have listened to both the Dynavector 10x5 mc and Rega Exact mm cartridges- what sonic differences are there between the two?
Thanks

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2724
Its kind of difficult to describe the exact differences, but to make it simple...

Everything the Exact does, the 10x5 does far better.

I'm sure others will be a little more articulate than I am with it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6898
The Exact is more mechanical...less fluid. It's probably a bit more tonally rich however it's more like artificial flavoring rather than the real thing. Much prefer the 10x5. There are those who prefer the Exact...

If the 10x5 isn't to your taste perhaps you may want to look at a Benz, Clearaudio, or Shelter cartridge...I encourage you to do some research!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2956
Hmm, I'd never have said the Exact was tonally richer than the 10x5. I find the Exact to have a bit more warmth than one expects from Rega. Tonally, the 10x5 has bags more resolution, better extension and far better contrast since it also has lower tracking noise. The 10x5 is also better in terms of timing and pace.

The only other brand I would look at currently is Goldring with their new 2000 series. The 2500 is a cracking cartridge and very good value indeed. It's tonally much better than the Exact (thoug no 10x5), but in terms of swing, pace and timing it's up there with the 10x5, and perhaps a touch better. It seems a very good match with the Regas.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6900
Haven't listened to the new Goldring's, sounds interesting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us