Subwoofer Size for Large Room

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 25
I have a large room (30'x20') with carget and a cathederal ceiling. I'm looking to add a sub to my existing system, which includes some old Marantz LS-20's with 15" woofers. I just purchased a Marantz SR8001 receiver and a Paradigm CC-590 center. I'll be replacing the LS-20's with some Paradigm Reference Studio 100's in the next year.

I've heard that two subs are better than one. Though I'm on a bit of a budget right now. Two decent quaility subs might be more than I can afford. Budget is around $500 max. Considering the room size, would I want to get a 15" sub, or could I get away with a 12" being that the LS-20's have 15" woofers? Any recommendatins on a particular sub(s)?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 26
Would anybody recommend the Velodyne DLS-5000R 15" sub? People on eBay are selling them for around $550 or so.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6773
Hsu Research....

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Whichever one your budget can afford.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1859
Dr. Hsu built these too http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?FILTER=hsu&FTR=hsu&search_type=main&WebP age_ID=3

...I didn't mean for that to rhyme.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10106
Seuss

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 275
If you go HSU they have a nice feature on their site which shows which model would work best in which sized room. Based upon your measurements the VTF-3 MK3 would be ideal except it's $629. The VTF-2 MK3 would be in your price range, but might not have quite enough ooomph.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 192
At normal listening levels....that is, can't hear me next door and can easily talk over the music, my VTF2mk3 provides plenty of ooomph in a near-5500 cubic foot room.

I had Seuss Cheese on my lunch sandwich.

Buy 1 sub now, and a mate for it later.

Multiple subs in non-symetrical locations seem to work fine.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 894
You're a poet and didn't know it, CM.

You rhyme all the time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us