My interest is piqued in a NAD receiver, help me choose based upon my criteria...

Anonymous
Okay guys,

I obviously would like to go seperates but yet my wallet says elswise (Outlaw audio has a nice $1600 combo pre/pro & amp but to much for my budget). I have been waiting for outlaw audio to release a upgrade to the 1050 receiver but I have given up on them.

I then started thinking well if outlaw can make a quality receiver in 2000 ( I think ) that blew away major name brand receivers of that same timer period then why couldn't another company exist out there who gives excellent quality that is above the denon's, onkyo's, yamaha's, sony es, etc brands you see in major retail shops...

Well I been reading up on NAD and they seem to be up there with outlaw audio...

Now, I would like to explain my situation about what I'm looking for and maybe some of you guys could tell me if there is a better choice in receiver out there for me or is NAD top of the line for the price range I'm looking for ( price range = preferrably below $800 but might consider upping it to below $1000 as long as the quality of sound warrants it )

Okay I could care less about music, I could care less about radio tuner quality, I could care less if the receiver does any form of video switching ( speaking of that, I'm suprised that no one makes a higher quality audio HT receiver that eliminates video switching completely in favor of better audio performance )

So what do I care about ? DVD's and sound formats associated with Home Theater: I like to be able to incorporate 6/7 speakers even though currently I use 5... I'd like the newer formats of DTS-ES discrete or Dolby Digital-EX...

All in all I want the best clarity of sound in a mid level receiver but I want the receiver built around sound versus features like component switching, SACD inputs, etc...

Now going back to the NAD, If this is indeed a good receiver for what I'm looking for, what route should I go ?

Go with the older models like the T761 considering you can literally steal them or go with the newer models that up the cost but will I have the performance increase considering my purchase is strictly based around the DVD movie audio experience not SACD, not DVD-audio, not stereo ?

Would appreciate any info you guys could give me and would appreciate someone directing me to making the right decision and give reasons why they think that decision is best suited for my criteria...

Thx,
Brad

Anonymous
::: crickets chirp :::

:(

Alright...I'll take a shot at it.

Well...I'm basically in the same boat as you as far as seeking a high-quality receiver in the under $800 price range and am very interested in the NAD T-7x2 line. Although I am also interested in music and TV, not just DVDs and am looking at the under $600 range. Although it may seem obvious, I've slowly become to realize that for that price you have to compromise on something. There are basically four areas to look at in a receiver:

1) Sound quality.

Sound quality is obviously subjective and from what I've read if you are only interested in DVD/movies you may be able to get away with one of the major retail brands, they seem to be mostly geared towards HT (i.e. Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo [before anyone flames me keep in mind I'm talking about the under $800 models]). I'd listen to a few receivers in a good audio shop. It may not compare to what you will hear at home but it should help you filter out the one's you really don't want.

2) Features.

Sounds like you want a 6.1 capable receiver. You have a choice of those that decode the 6.1 formats and a) require external amplifier(s) for the surround back channels (NAD & older model HK). b) have a single amplifier for the surround back channel(s) i.e. 6-channel amp. (Outlaw 1050) c) have two amplifiers to support the surround back channels(s) i.e. 7-channel amp (HK325/525). Not all of the 6.1 formats are supported by all 6.1/7.1 receivers, the older models may not have support for DD-EX.

I'm not sure why you would care about SACD inputs if you have no interest in music, however these are typically described as 5.1 or 7.1 channel inputs and are common on most models. What's not so common is base management on these inputs.

Other common features include pre-amp outputs (so you can add more power), DPLII (missing in the Outlaw 1050 and other older models), Night mode (or dynamic compression mode), component video switching ( higher-end models do up-conversion from other formats), programmable remote, on-screen display etc..

I'm guessing you would be able to find a model made by most manufacturers that satisfy your feature requirements for the $800 range.

3) Power.

Have a look at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm for some rated vs. actual power ratings. Your speakers/listening habits/room size will determine your power requirements. Personally, I prefer one of the brands that specify a high current capacity(NAD/HK). I currently have an older model (1995 or so) HK AVR30 rated at 60w @ 6ohm/channel in stereo with a HCC of 40amps and certainly it has tons of power for me. You may want to check out Sherwood Newcastle if you want a lot of power in a receiver, although these are hard to find.

3) Reliability. This is the tough one. I've never heard anyone complain about the sound quality of NAD receivers, but I've read lots of complaints about quality problems with the receiver. I was leaning towards the T742 but am a little gun shy now. If I do get one of these it will definately be from a local audio dealer with an excellent service reputation. All major brands have had their problems, even the Outlaw 1050 has a few quirks in the quality area. Many major brands can be ordered from e-tailers for substantially cheaper than buying locally, but if you have to send it back for repairs is it really worth it? Maybe, I guess it depends on the price differential.

I would check out the HK525, NAD T762 and Sherwood Newcastle R-863 and see which one sounds the best.

Personally, being in Canada my options are more limited due to pricing but I'm currenlty undecided between the NAD T742(US$640 locally), mail-ordering an HK AVR325(US$560 vs. US$1050 locally) or holding out for an Outlaw 1050 update.

Good luck!

Oh...one other feature I forgot to mention was bass management. The HK AVR325 & AVR525 allow an adjustable sub crossover to be set in three separate categories (Font/Centre/Rear). This basically controls at what frequency bass signals get sent to the subwoofer. Most other brands have a global crossover that applies to all the speakers set to 'Small' however on some receivers this is fixed and not adjustable. This may or may not be a concern to you depending on your speakers. In my case I like the HK crossover feature because I could set my fonts to 40Hz, center to 60Hz and rears to 80Hz, however how significat this is in practice I don't know. It's one of the points I would be willing to compromise on in favour of better sound/build quality. I haven't been able to get this information about the NAD T742, but the T752 & presumably T762 has an adjustable crossover setting.

Hawk
Anon:

Well, I will take a shot at it too. Based upon your parameters and expressed desire for the sound quality of separates, get the NAD T752. It is a five channel receiver with the best sound short of getting quality separates (yes, I too, have pined for the Outlaw separates, but too many expenses preclude that for me). If you want more channels later, it has provision to add an outboard 2 channel amp (such as the NAD C270) to drive your front mains and reassign the inboard amps to drive the surrounds. You can get a 752 for about $725 new or $600 refurbished and it will have better sound than other receivers. It won't have a lot of fancy switching for the video like my Denon, but I find I don't use it anyways. But for sound, it has it all over my big dog.

What do I mean by better sound? Well, the NADs have appear to have better signal processing than anything else for less than a grand. In the double blind testing I attended of four different quality receivers, one of the things that made the NAD indentifiable was the fact that background dialogue in several DVDs was clearly heard when played through the NAD, but was either muffled or totally non-existant when played through more expensive receivers from Onkyo, H/K or Denon. The NAD simply resolved the sound better.

So, does that sound like what you want from a receiver? if it is, you want the NAD.

Anonymous
Thanks hawk, I was hoping for you to reply... ;)

I was thinking about the T752 or just saving up for the $1598 pre/pro and amp (seperates combo)

Anonymous
^ Oh the above seperates is obviously outlaw audio...

Also I cannot decide on whether going for a refurb T752 over at yawaonline.com for $599 ( 1 yr warranty ) or trying to find a new one if the $700 range ( 2 yr warranty ) ...

Never bought a refurb so I'm very leary but I've heard people have good experiences with refurbs...

Anonymous
Anyone has a link to the rear panel image for NAD T752. I wish I can see the rear panel. The ND website doesnt seem to have one.

Thanks

Anonymous
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jcmarsha/hometheatre/

^ Check out this link , not only will it tell you how to check the chip version of the NAD , the guy posted pictures as well...

Anonymous
Oh and that is one thing I find annoying about NAD's website, where are the detailed specs and pictures...

They should learn something from Denon.com

John Allen
Rear panel picture and everything is in the Manual

http://www.nadelectronics.com/support/manuals_framset.htm

Specs for T752 here

http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/T752_framset.htm

Hawk
Funny you should ask. I was researching the T761 (refurbs are available) and I found you can get a look at the back panel of each receiver with a detailed description of each function because they have the entire product manual on the website.

Go to the NAD website (www.nadelectronics.com) and look at the links across the top. You will find one called "Support". click on it and you will get a pop up menu, so click on "Product Manuals." You will then get a list of every product that they have offered and the different manuals in the six or eight different languages. Scroll down to the bottom and you will find the T752--simply click on the "x" in the first column which is for the manual in English. it is a .pdf file and you can see the rear panel with description.

As for refurbs, I have a Denon refurb and it runs fine. I don't like it, but it runs just fine. I have no problem with refurbs as they have lower repair problems than the regular new ones. By the way, you could always get a 752 and then add the outboard Outlaw amp later, using the 752 as your pre/pro. Then you could get an Outlaw pre/pro a few years later when you want to upgrade. A lot of people do this. You then move the 752 to the bedroom.

Anonymous
Mighty fine thinking about adding a outlaw amp later... ;)

Well at yawaonline , they did say

"This product is "refurbished" by NAD (manufacturer), that means NAD (not other service centers) did the work on it to bring it to "as new" condition. The product is in the manufacturer's sealed box. "

THIS DOES MAKE ME FEEL BETTER

Anonymous
"You then move the 752 to the bedroom. "

Thanks all for the links. I never thought of looking at the manuals.
BTW, I found a dealer here in Jersey and hope to demo the T752 tommorrow. I checked out the HK and Onkyo today at a local CC. I liked the HK better and want to compare it with the NAD, though the AVR325 seems to have more features for the dollar.

Anonymous
Anonymous,

'THIS DOES MAKE ME FEEL BETTER'

It does.. I wonder when Harmon Kardon offers a 2 year identical warranty on their refurbs as their new models, does it show more confidence in the refurbs

Anonymous
^ Well the warranty thing does suck...

^ I was more referring that it is refurbed by the original manufacturer ( aka NAD )

Anonymous
I was just wondering. It probably means nothing. I would expect receivers to last a decade if not more.
What sucks more is the return policy on most refurbs poor. Shipping the heavy thing apart (Internet Stores), you may have to pay hefty restocking fees if they do take it back.

Anonymous
Well this doesn't sound too bad (taken from yawaonline's info page

Satisfaction Guarantee
YAWA offers 30-day money back guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your order, you have the options to return or exchange it (less the shipping charge) within 30 days from the date of receiving your order (except TV).

Return and Exchange
1.Defective return and exchange:

If your order arrives defective or becomes defective within 30 days, you have the options of getting a replacement or full refund (except TV). To obtain a replacement, please send the defective unit back. As soon as we receive the defective unit, the replacement will be shipped to you(usually the same business day if the item is available) by ground. To get a refund, please send back your defective unit with original box. After we inspect the return and make sure all accessories, manual, and warranty card included, we will issue you a refund. The refund includes the full amount for the merchandise you purchased and the basic freight (ground).

During the two-year warranty period (after 30 days), if anything goes wrong, you can always send the product back to us for repair or replacement if repair is not possible. Please send us an e-mail at sales@yawaonline.com for details if you need the service.

Since YAWA is an authorized dealer for all brands we sell through both local store and Internet, the items you order will be covered by original manufacture warranty nationwide. We encourage you to get the service locally if anything wrong with the item you purchased. To obtain a service center nearby, you may go to manufacturers website, or call us for more information.

2. Non-defective return and exchange:

There is no charge for restocking if the item has not been opened. However, a 10% of re-stocking fee will be applied to the non-defective returns if the original factory seal has been opened. For the exchanged order at equal or high price, the re-stocking fee will be waived. Please send us an email at sales@yawaonline.com for the instruction of return or exchange.

John Allen
Anon posted
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jcmarsha/hometheatre/
the site of Jonathan Marshall in Palmerston NZ. Photos of the inside of a T752 indicate the build quality. I have nothing but good things to say about my T760, the T752 forerunner, bought from a dealer who took it part-ex and gave me 3 mnth warrantee. It is built to last.

Anonymous
I checked out the NAD T752 today. I prefered the sound of H/K for the money I am spending. While the NAD was good, I felt the H/K was good too. Maybe the NAD is a tad better but I didnt see the reason to spend $200 more for my small apt and small budget.
Ordered the AVR325z from onecall.com (tommorrow -8/31/03 - is the last day of the sale).

My budget speakers are going to be Fluance AV-HTB 5 speaker set for now. Thinking of adding a Mordaunt Short 308 or a Acoustic Research ARS112PS sub to complete the system.

BTW I also checked a Rotel system which was awesome. Wish I had the money

Thanks to all in this forum for their help and advice, especially GT, Smitty and Hawk.

Anonymous
Were you checking our rotel receivers or seperates ?

I didn't know until I went over to rotel's website, they even made receivers ( I thought they just made seperates )

Wonder how they compare to NAD considering they are more pricey ?

Anonymous
What I looked at was a stereo receiver which was hooked up to a small PSB shelf speaker.

I listed to some AM/FM broadcasts and they sounded awesome. The music and the speech were crystal clear. My impression was they were far superior to the NAD T752 (on Vandersteen speakers) which I was auditioning for more than hour.

http://rotel.com/products/specs/rx1050.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us