Energy C4 speakers

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 113
got these speakers for free. They are about 5 years old I think but in perfect shape. (35HZ, 25KHZ, tweeder 1,1 aluminium dome/cloth suspension, woofer 1.8, crossover 1800hz, 88db, 8 ohm, 50-175 watts, bi-wireable)I have also Sound Dynamics RTS 800 Subwoofer(Active, Nominal (RMS) Output Power: 100 Watt, Max (RMS) Output Power: 400 Watt, Response Bandwidth: 29 - 100 Hz, Crossover Frequency: 50 - 100Hz). Arcam AVR280 as for receiver, PS3 a source, will acces my music via PS3 from my PC, same way as I use squeezebox from my living room. I was planning to get totem dreamcatcher 5.1 maybe in half a year. Now this is the question. Should I forget about these speakers and sub and get full dreamcatcher in few months, or are these speakers be better as front speakers? and should I keep sub and just get dreamcatcher center and surrounds. Or some other combination? If I go for the full system - DC5.1 would be a SKY for me where $$ goes(and I can get very good deal). I already got Arro's and Arcam AVR350 for living room and no money left. So what should I do?? May be just a DC center and tribe 1 for surround? Please help.

Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Frank, Stu, Art, Nuck what is going on guys? any comments? please :-)
Pablo

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10086
Pablo, I don't know the c4's, but the energy line is quite good, you will have to try the free speakers and let ME know.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6731
Energy doesn't make a speaker as good as any Totem...get the Totems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
C4 specs: 35HZ, 25KHZ, tweeder 1,1 aluminium dome/cloth suspension, woofer 1.8, crossover 1800hz, 88db, 8 ohm, 50-175 watts, bi-wireable
I did bi-wired them with AVR280. They do sound good (but not sure if better or not then DC fronts) and I still would get totem DC for center and surround. The question is would they (and my existing sub) play nice together with rest of dreamcatcher? Or forget them and sub and get full DC5.1? I know that DC 5.1 would be probably more sharp, clear but C4 are full range speaker with more base, and this is my confusion. plus would be much cheaper to get just DC center and surround. hard decision.
Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Specifications:

System Type: Vented 2-way

Tweeter: 1-1" (25.4mm) Aluminum Dome/Cloth Suspension

Woofers: 1-8" (20.3cm) Injection Molded Aluminum/Polypropylene Diaphram Rubber Suspension

Freq Response: 35Hz-25KHz (+/-3dB)

Crossover Points: 1800Hz

Room Efficiency: 91dB

Anechoic Sensitivity: 88dB

Impedance: Nominal 4.5 ohms minimum

Recomended Amplifier Power: 30-175 watts RMS/CHNL

Dimensions: 33 X 95/8 X12

http://www.energy-speakers.com/source/s%20manual.pdf

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/energy-loudspeakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_120930_1594crx.aspx

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/83902-energy_c_4s_in_mint_condition_/

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Just did a test at the dealeres. connected C4 as a left speaker and dreamcatcher as a right - dreamcatcher killed C4!more clear, details, definition. C4 was as if the music was going trough a filter, as if someone hanged a blanket in front. So there was no questions. Only when I can aford it - I will get full DC5.1

Pablo

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10236
And there is your answer, Pablo.

Have fun!

Bronze Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 49
Pablo,
A full 5.1 Totem set-up should be formidable. And should do a fine job of handling both 2 channel and HT.

As you experienced, the Energy's are a fine speaker. But not in the same class as the Totem brand.

I would recommend, with hesitation, the use of Energy's in a budget HT system. But cannot suggest even their top-of-the-line for 2 channel. You can get better performance for the same cash outlay from other mfgs.

lastly,

Regarding your other inquiries, I think it not wise to mix and match speakers if at all possible. At the very least, I would get "matching" front and center. Meaning, not simply the same manufacturer, but the same drivers and tweeter.

The sub might be less important in that respect, and same for the surrounds (although it certainly looks nicer).

let us know what you end up doing!

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
I will get full dreamcatcher 5.1 ( maybe with Storm sub) when I save the money. the set up I have is ok for now but all totem with my Arcam 280 should be a pretty good for the $
I have already wire all room with totem tress cable, and using C2 for the front with "loaner" Dreamcatcher center, older Definite technology sub and bookshelves to complete 5.1
I hope in the fall to replace this with full DC 5.1

I have Arro's in the living room with Arcam AVR350. Squeezebox as a source. I was wonder what would be better Arro and AVR350 and DC5.1 and AVR280, or reverse Arro with AVR280 adn DC with AVR 350?

thanks for help
Pablo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us