TURNTABLE ADVICE for new-to-market guy

Username: Derricker

Post Number: 1
I currently have yamaha amp and preamp (with nice phono stage in the preamp), Klipsch RF5 speakers. I had an NAD 533 for years, and sold it a few years ago. Getting back into vinyl.

Am debating between the $300 (with cart)pro-ject debut III and the $650 (with cart) REGA Planar 2.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated. If I *do* buy the debut III and outgrow it, I can use it as my 78 machine and replace it with a different (better) turntable for stereo stuff. Thanks, Ricker

Post Number: 2
My logic in these two above options: I liked my NAD 533. The new NAD 555 is almost as expensive as the REGA Planar 2, of which the 533 was a copy. Hence I may as well get the "real" planar 2. The gentleman answering the phone at Needledoctor.com told me that if I liked my NAD 533, I would be happy with the debut III.... at half the price, I am sure tempted to get the cheaper one.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12470

How many records can you buy for $350?

Post Number: 3
I guess I understand where you are going, but not in which direction -- do you mean get the cheaper one because I can spend the additional $350 on records, or get the expensive one because $350 won't get you much anyway?

I typically buy 25cent 45s and dollar LPs. Getting the nice turntable is a good way to enjoy all this cheap music, and get a lasting workhorse for a hobby that is totally cheap for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12472

"I guess I understand where you are going, but not in which direction -- do you mean get the cheaper one because I can spend the additional $350 on records, or get the expensive one because $350 won't get you much anyway?"

Uh-huh.

45 cents?!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6721
Well Rick which way did you go?

I think that the Rega P2 will outperform the Debut III however the Debut can bring you alot of fun at a budget price either way a cartridge upgrade (P2 doesn't come with one unless you are buying a package with the Rega Bias and the Debut comes with an Ortofon OM5) will pay dividends. Speed Box is available for the Debut which will improve the sound quite a bit.

Post Number: 4
Not 45 cents. 25 cents. 25 cents for a 45rpm single, $1 for an LP.

ART: I haven't made my purchase yet, still debating -- I'm really enjoying my 78's at this point, and think I might just get a new needle for my current 78 setup while debating on the stereo turntable.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the DEBUT III, and if I get used to it, I will eventually get another one for my 78s. If I get the Debut III and am not happy with it (for stereo), I will make it my 78 machine and just save up for a better stereo machine then. Thanks Art for the straightforward advice! I'll let you know what I end up doing! Ricker
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us