Need to buy a DVD player

Username: Ndesilva

Post Number: 2
My question may be rather stupid but still need expert advice. I don't have a DVD player and all I have is a Sony stereo mini system about 10 years old. My first move towards a home theater system is to buy a DVD player. Cant afford too much at the moment. If I buy a standard DVD player with 2 RCA outputs (left & Right) - which I can connect to my mini system and get Stereo sound (for the time being), Can I later buy a 5.1 surround sound amplifier (amplifier and speakers only) and connect the DVD player to it and get full 5.1 surround sound? Or am I making a mistake? Please help!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 350
If you are going for surround amp separates then you'll need a DVD player with a dolby AC3 decoder and DTS decoder. If you are going for a surround receiver, that should have the decoders built in and you won't necessarilly need them in the DVD player. But, if you want to future proof your gear you might consider a Universal DVD player that can process DVD-A, and SACD also.

A DVD player with inbuilt decoders will work with 2 channel amps and multi channel seperates or a surround receiver. A DVD player without decoders will allow 2 channel stereo only but with digital outlets (either a coaxial or optical or both) will allow for a surround receiver to process Dolby and DTS 5.1 (or more).

Hope this helps.

Post Number: 3
I think I kind of got the message. I was looking at a sony DVD player DVPNS530S and that says Virtual Surround: Yes/Dynamic/Wide/Night/Standard & DTS Digital Output. Would that be it or Am I missing something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
For full surround sound you would need a surround receiver (min 6 channel ie 5.1) with on board DD and DTS processing with that DVD player provided it has digital outputs. Virtual surround is an enhanced effect for 2 channel stereo.

Post Number: 4
It has a digital output (I think) but does not say anything about AC3? Is AC3 Analogue?

Interfaces:
Component Output: Rear x 1
S-Video Output: Rear x 1
Composite Output: Rear x 1
Digital Output: Rear x 3: Coaxial x 1, Digital x 2
Analogue Output: Rear x 1

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
AC3 is the Dolby Digital decoder. If it had this inbuilt there would be a group of 6 analogue rca outlets as well as what you listed. The digital output (for sound) is via the coaxial or digital (optic). The analogue would be one pair of analogue outputs for a stereo connection.

This is suitable for what you have now and an A/V receiver later on for full surround sound. The manual will have the connection information. Hope this sorts it out for you.

Post Number: 5
The Sony model I am looking at DVPNS530S does have a coax Digital Output. That should do it I guess?

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
As long as you won't want the new surround audio formats like dvd-a or sacd, then yes the Sony model you are considering will be okay for now and when you get an a/v receiver.

Post Number: 6
You've been a great help to me!
dvd-a & sacd... I will not go for that now. Its a bit costly at the moment. I was a bit not sure becasue somewhere for the same sony model it says "DTS - Digital Output - TV Vertual Surround" and elsewhere it says 1 Coax digital output

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Glad to help. Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1336
niranjan,

I agree with all My Rantz, writes, and the simple answer to your original question is "yes".

However, if you have the choice, get a DVD-player that will also play DVD-A. You will be using its analogue outputs for the time being, anyway. The "5.1" analogue out from a DVD-A player gives awesome stereo sound, even if you just connect the Left and Right channels to the amp/receiver, and even if you just play CDs. Then you will really be "Future-proof", and will have everything if, and when, you get a 5.1 AV receiver - no need to replace the player.

rajiv
Unregistered guest
I have a dvd player with coaxial output, i need to connect my two analogue amplifiers to the player omiting centre channel. Is there any way coaxial output can be splitted to seperate analogue outputs? please help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1694
If the DVD player has no analogue out (most do) then you will need a stereo Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC). These can be had from electronics hobby shops such as the US "Radio Shack" (most countries have something similar).

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 761
niranjan my suggestion would be the pioneer 563-a
dvd /sacd / dvd-audio player. built in dts and dd decoders.

has both coax and optical outputs.

excelent budget player.

should be had for $140 us.

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 45
For any newbies who want to learn more about DVD-Video and surround sound formats, click on this web link:

http://www.surroundassociates.com/fqmain.html

The costs can get exponential. Make sure you make a good budget before you start buying speakers, cable, even include how many DVD's and surround audio discs you want to buy per month. You'll find that the DVD's will probably end up costing more than the player you buy.

And you can check out the hardware reviews listed on this ecoustics web site. I happen to like Pioneer but I have heard good things about Toshiba as well.

John A.,
Thanks for sharing the web link on some other threads for me earlier in the week. The more educated people get, the more satisfied they will be! :-)

goldenarrow

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
goldenarrow,

A pleasure. But see the thread Teaching an old dog new tricks... where opinion is divided, to say the least. There is much useful information on that site, but the first few points they make are contentious!

Thanks again for the link.

Username: Ruthenry

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 3
Y would like to buy a HD DVD Player.
My TV is a SONY GRAND WEGA KDF-70XBR950...
Between Samsung HD841/HD931/HD941 or HD1000
Which is the best decision....Help me
please.....Any suggestion?.....Ruth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us