Archive through January 05, 2008

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1701
Nuck - seems Mike's Gallos made a big impression. Congrats, another very nice set up. As Art suggested: how we are evolving.

Gotta stop this evolving.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9166
Art, you should feel guilty!
OK thats over now, hehe.
Mike, I will email them today. Have you had good experience in contact with them?And thanks, after you solved the pic thing for me all is well.

MR, first homoerectus and now this...where will it all end?

can you beleieve that I had to fudge that into one word to post? Sheesh...

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 549
Congrat's to Art - The Fred Sanford of audio salvage. Very efficient use of your resources!

Nuck - It sounds like you're well on your way to Audio nirvana. Or perhaps, if Helen has her way, well on your way to visiting that guy that started Nirvana.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9169
LOL, Stryvn!
Now all day I will be humming the Sanford theme.

wah wah wah wanna, wah wah wah wanna wanna waaaa...

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 840
I have had excellent results in conversations with the local Rega distributor and the folks at Rogue Audio, Mark answers the phone himself.

I have had little reason to speak with Gallo. I may have called once to discuss the sub-amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11718

"Gotta stop this evolving."

Become a Republican.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9182
pass on that one.

New pics?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1484
Alternatively, become a Democrat, save up a enough carbon-credits and one day we can all own (if property rights still exist) a pair of these,

Upload

Genuine twine & 80% post-consumer recycled paper!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5612
Wasn't Fred Sanford always gettin' robbed...?

Mike, did you talk to Steve at The Sound Org.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11723

A quick explanation for the grasshoppers in the frozen tundra from the cicada in the land of frozen margaritas.

All the Republican candidates for President are white, rich and middle age. They all are trying to speak with the same tenor when confronted with any question. The Republican candidates get asked whether they believe in intelligent design - which implies they do not believe in evolution. Six out of ten respond they believe in intelligent design - implying they do not believe in evolution.

The Democratic candidates are a mixed crowd with a woman, an African American, a Latino and a Catholic. (The Republicans are all Protestant with one Mormon, otherwise mostly Baptist and one is an ordained minister.) The Democrats get asked if they believe in UFO's to which one says he has seen an UFO. The Democrats are all trying to sound unlike each other to set themself apart from the front runner.

So my advice is listen like a Democrat. Your system will be out of this world and your taste in music will be eclectic.

Buy like a Republican. Your system should be put together by intelligent design, sound rich and all parts should speak with the same voice.

I think that's pretty good advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1485
Rudy's still a Catholic last I checked.

I hate to go down this road, but what the heck, I'm board.

Are there any avowed atheist amongst the Democrats? I don't think so, I think they're all Christians too last I checked, some even go to church I presume, but do they get asked questions about creationism, nah, that would be a problem, so it's UFOs & CO2 till Iowa.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9184
If you think that's screwy, you should try politico here.

I just hate selling stuff. If it ain't the lowballers, it's the dreamers.
If anybody else kicks my tires, I might kick back.
What a PITA!

One guy emailed to ask about the PSB's. I told him, like in the ad, that they could use a go with a good buffer and baybe some McGuire's compound, as they are high gloss piano finish.
The stiff asked about the piano, as he always wanted a piano.
I sent him a joke about the 10" pianist.

Somebody just show up and take the 2 pairs of speakers, the Rotel player and the sub, leave a fair bit of cabbage. Just a fair bit.

I feel better now. Kinda.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5613
I don't know about all that stuff...I'm votin' for a women anaway. She's good and has the best advisor in the biz...nuff said!

Pretty cool analogy Jan!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9186
When the whole thing goes to shite and it looks really bad, finally maybe someone will appoint a woman to sort it out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9187
Just buy my gear and help me out.
Art, baby, you havn't paid real prices for a while, how about it?
I even take US dollars!

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
lolol...Nuck. You're pathetic when you beg.

Art, I apologize for never getting back to you. I never recieved any of your mails. I am running a Grado Blue I think on the TT. And still looking for a new mat. The Sanford & Son comment was not meant as an insult. lol...and I sure ain't hoping you get robbed! You find some of the screaminest deals I ever heard of. And I'm happy for ya!

Discovered a treasure chest of lp's today over in Dad's basement. More on that later. For now I have to search for a new stylus for Pops' old tt and work out a deal on the vinyl he's got buried. There may be a 127 classical album swap involved short term.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11724

"Rudy's still a Catholic last I checked."

Rudy's twice divorced. I take it you're not Catholic, CM. There's Catholic and there's catholic. Rudy's quite the latter.

There is a Democrat in Congress who is a declared atheist.

I'm not sure what you mean by your creationism comment but I suspect there are plenty of questions that should be asked of both parties that aren't getting an airing. You sound upset that someone you dislike is not being skewered. Be patient. This should be a very dirty election.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 841
Art, Yes I have talked to Steve, the whole team there seems well versed and most helpful.

At least Nuck hasn't asked me to buy some of my stuff back (yet).

stryvn, let me know if Art or I can help in your negotiations on the vinyl. ROTFLMAO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1486
I'm voting for a Vulcan. I don't care which, as long as it's a Vulcan.

Has A.L.G.O.R.E. sent out that planetary distress signal yet?

Alright I'm done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1487
With a name like Molloy, not Catholic?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1488
...or should I say catholic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9188
for catholic, see Sean Connery in The Untouchables.
There is a good cath.

Everybody else is a pretender. No alternative lifestyles, no pulling out and nothing close to reality.

I sure liked JPII, however, cool guy, if a little dated in his thinking.
He made being Pope cool again with the world tours and stuff.

The Dali Lama still tops my list. Funky dude.
I guess God is ok too, but he ain't had a hit on the charts for a while.

Release the hounds!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2652
I will get some pictures up....eventually...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1489
Jezez! Sometimes you just can't give stuff away.

I finally got around to selling my screwy NAD L53 DVD/Receiver on eBay, and it got damaged in transit by UPS (It looks like someone at UPS dropped a bottle of Windex on it & re-boxed it) and was returned to me.

The unit was double-boxed, so while the outer-box was soaked, the inner box only damp, and the unit was in a plastic bag, so it was dry. I plugged it in & all is well, but still need to sell it if anyone is interested.

Only the disc unit is in screwy, all else is near-new working order.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9217
So here is the new amp, got it today.

Upload

It looks kinda big on top of the good ol' ca 200.
If they mate, maybe I get a litter of balanced ca100's!

I will post pics after I open them tomorrow.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 849
First time in the history of man that a CA200 was used for an amp stand.

Glad your deal closed buddy, congrats. Hope you live long enough to enjoy it....

:-)

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 850
Hey, up above you asked me to chime in on the Gallo's. They are everything everyone says they are.

Jan's description on a separate thread was very good and if that was not enough the link in the post tells the rest of the story

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5629
Hey yo...got any extra's...lol!!! Good going Nuck!

Nuck, my brotha....is that gold carpet...lol!!

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 296
havent been hanging out here much lately after i got led astray with open baffles and even stranger electronics, but thought I'd post a pic of my system.

Visaton B200's, B&G Neo3 ribbon tweeters on the rear, Peerless H-baffle subs, diy bass traps. Red Wine Audio amps and Zapfilter modded Zhoalu dac after DEQ.

Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11747

Open baffles and "B&G Neo3 ribbon tweeters on the rear"?! You still amaze me, Bvan. How are you HP filtering the B&G's?

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 297
single 2uf cap per side. forget what that aims for, maybe 20k? doesnt measure from the front but you know it when it's not there.

that sound unusual?

got some some 15" coaxial Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris's on the way to fill a larger room we have. Its a new driver that no one has heard yet. I'm sold on the OB stuff.

B.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 139
Cool room B.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5634
Very nice Bvan...always curious, excellent.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9226
A huge OB following out there, B.
You among them, of course.

Very nice.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1723
Nice Bvan - different!

Nuck, now you'll be able to power a rock concert lol! Nice, very nice.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1229
Finally bought a camera so I can share my pics!

Equipment is :
Harman Karon AVR430
Denon DVD2910
Xbox Elite with HD-DVD add-on
Motorola HD-PVR
Yorkville PA-800 (200Wx2)
JVC 52" LCOS
Polk Rti8, Csi3, Fxi3, PSW404
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1724
Very nice too Kano.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2257
I was killing time in The Sharper Image while Mrs. Stu was trying on clothes for what seemed like hours. I stumbled upon this -

Upload

The blurb claimed something like 'Audiophiles will love the great tube sound.' I'm sure tube guys everywhere will seek this one out.

I think it was about $500.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1503
The Philips MCD908/37...when this thing gets discounted a few months from now, it might be worth a look.

Premium Hi-Fi tubes for perfectly pure and natural sound
With built-in Hi-Fi Tubes, you can now experience sound of the highest quality thats usually only associated with premium audiophile systems. The analog nature of the tubes provides a more pleasing sound to our non-linear hearing system. Sound from a tube has low distortion and is always preferred for its clean and detailed, warm and life-like audio quality.

Class 'D' Digital Amplifier for quality sound performance
Class 'D' Digital Amplifier takes an analog signal, converts it into a digital signal and then amplifies the signal digitally. The signal then enters a demodulation filter to give the final output. The amplified digital output delivers all the advantages of digital audio, including improved sound quality. In addition, Class 'D' Digital Amplifier has greater than 90% efficiency compared to traditional AB amplifiers. This high efficiency translates into a powerful amplifier with a small footprint.

Neodymium Ribbon Tweeter for impressive audio fidelity
The Neodymium Ribbon Tweeter is a monopole tweeter that produces dynamic and crisp sound from the front. It is a feature commonly used in high-end audio systems to reproduce sound with excellent fidelity. Conventional cones and dome tweeters are based on a directional moving coil principle whereas the monopole Neodymium Ribbon Tweeter radiates high frequencies in a full 180-degree radiation pattern. This dramatically increases the width of the sound spectrum in the higher tones and expands the sweet spot zone to deliver wide, crystal-clear, and natural sound even from compact audio systems.

Dome mid range speakers and woofer for crystal clear sound
Prepare for stunning sound with the combination of a silk dome mid-high frequency speaker with an ultrasonic ribbon tweeter. The silk speaker delivers warm sound and the gauzy ribbon tweeter delivers clear and dynamic sound. What you'll experience is a harmonious blend of undistorted and uncolored wide-ranging sound ... that's as smooth as silk.

Gold-plated speaker connector for finest signal transmission
The Gold-plated speaker connector ensures better audio signal transmission compared to traditional click-fit connections. It also minimizes the electrical signal loss from the amplifier to the speaker box, resulting in sound reproduction that's as close to reality as possible.

HDMI out for digital high-definition video and digital audio
HDMI is a direct digital connection that can carry digital HD video as well as digital multichannel audio. By eliminating the conversion to analog signals it delivers perfect picture and sound quality, completely free from noise. HDMI is fully backward-compatible with DVI.

12-bit/108MHz video processing for sharp, natural images
12-bit Video DAC is a superior Digital-to-Analogue-Converter that preserves every detail of the authentic picture quality. It shows subtle shades and smoother graduation of colors, resulting in a more vibrant and natural picture. The limitation of the usual 10bit DAC become in particular apparent while using large screens and projectors.

Dolby Digital for ultimate movie experience
Because Dolby Digital, the world's leading digital multi-channel audio standards, make use of the way the human ear naturally processes sound, you experience superb quality surround sound audio with realistic spatial cues.

Leatherback and metal front remote control with flat keys
With a perfect balance of sleek dimensions with a comfortably light weight, this ergonomically designed remote control is a joy to use. Its slick metallic-finished flat key front is attractively contrasted with a genuine leather back cover. In addition, the stylish, precision-cut keypad ensures a qualitative navigation experience. Feel the splendor of pure design and control.

2x75W RMS/150W Total Power
Play DVD, DivX, (S)VCD, MP3-CD, WMA-CD, CD(RW) & Picture CD
Quality aluminum cabinet and real wood speakers

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2258
Class 'D' Digital Amplifier for quality sound performance
Class 'D' Digital Amplifier takes an analog signal, converts it into a digital signal and then amplifies the signal digitally. The signal then enters a demodulation filter to give the final output. The amplified digital output delivers all the advantages of digital audio, including improved sound quality...

You've got to be kidding me!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1504
Didn't know you could do that.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2260
I don't think you can.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1729
Actually, We have the Phillips MCD700/79 cd/dvd/tuner with similar speakers (no mid). The cd player is a top loader like the Apollo with similar central locking hub. It has a separate pre/power amp section like the one pictured above only no tubes. about 25 watts per channel and for what it is, the cd sound quality is quite remarkable. We use it when away on holidays.

But it won't recognise sacd's being basically a dvd player.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1730
Oh yeah - I thought you might like to see my Pink Floyd collection.

Upload

What's your favourite alBUM?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9242
Wow, that moon is on the dark side!

Got that in the dining room, MR?

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 140
Wish I was there.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2262
I wouldn't mind putting my hands up against The Wall.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
Pigs.

You're all Pigs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1505
Ya see, M.R. likes the Philips. I'm telling you I bet that little Philips contraption, magically "D" amp & all, is gonna sound good.

I'm going to make it my business to hear this thing soon.

...real wood too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9243
Plunk me in that Floyd print and I'll show some real wood...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1506
Please don't.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5651
I'll second that Christopher!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 624
I dont want the Philips to be good. They're not 'supposed' to be good.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2264
I wasn't impressed with it. Then again, in a large room/open store with a bunch of other stuff going like TVs and a bunch of stupid iPod based mini systems, the opportunity for it to do well wasn't there.

To be honest, I couldn't tell if the tubes themselves were glowing or if it was an orange back light. It was pretty feint. Not to mention that it didn't seem as though they were easily replacible, if they are at all.

I think its like just about everything else in the Sharper Image. All looks, no substance. Their stuff kind of reminds me of B&O or Bose gear. Its not designed with sound quality in mind. Its designed to visually appeal to a certain target customer. The kind who puts form over function/substance. Not that their stuff is visually appealing to me, but I'm sure it is to a lot of people.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1508
I'll tell you what, they might be ugly, but those Panasonic massage chairs at the Sharper Image are insane. If I could squeeze one into my apartment, I would have a long time ago. They have next to NO WAF!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 859
Now Nuck has me worried. I a going to have to check my Floyd poster for holes or worse.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1731
Don't drop the magnifying glass Mike!

Sorry Nuck.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5657
Cool system Kano!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 724
Kano- one thing needs to be changed with your system from what I see in your pics...WIRELESS 360 controllers dude. Other than that very nice.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1916
­
Yes...very nice Kano! I have the same stand in my bedroom. The 50 pound Vizio LCD hasn't shattered the glass shelf yet....
­
Upload
­

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1230
Nick K - 3 wireless controllers. I was charging 2 of them after my friends and I played Call of Duty 4 for far too long the night b4. That game is addictive!

Silver Member

Post Number: 730
LOL nice Kano-Ive been playing COD4 when I have time as well. Im up to level 30 or so. My Gears of War buddies are all up to 50+. Great game. Hit me up on live. Name is Nickelbut10.Cheers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5658
John, your stand looks a little overwhelmed...lol! Nice stuff man!

Bronze Member
Username: Arien

Post Number: 30
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 749
Cool setup Arien. Do I see a C272 and a 525bee? What are the other pieces?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9275
Nice, Arien. The B25's are really good when I heard them last.
Is the packing material for show?
They make tennis balls for that, ya know?

Bronze Member
Username: Arien

Post Number: 31
Thanks Nick K & Nuck...

The one on top is Krell KAV150, then NAD C542, Benchmark DAC1, Sumo Athena Pre, NAD C272(not used)...Dyn 52s

Nuck, the PSB B25s are inside the box, alternate for the Dyn 52s....planning to setup a second system in the bedroom consisting of the B25s, C272 and the athena pre as I can use the DAC1 as pre as well in the main system...the C542 might join the bedroom system once I get hold of another good transport to pair with the DAC1...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1542
Some of the new family members

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
Very nice Chris.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 146
Since I can't take full system pictures at this moment, here are some grainy not-so-good pics of my Wharfedale Opus 2; taken in 2005-06. It was an older digital camera, I didn't really know how to work it correctly and the lighting in the room was bad.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
very nice NMyTree.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5684
Very cool speakers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Thank for the kind words, guys.

Once we move into the new house, get everything unpacked, decorated...etc; I'll take some good quality pictures of my systems, with this new camera we have.

She knows how to work it better than I do, she knows all the appropriate/correct settings for what ever the situation. I'm just learning how to work the the thing. I was lucky to be able to get the pictures of the Vincent SAT1 Pre Amp, to come out as good as they did

But this camera can do better than that. I just don't know how to work it, yet.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2560
Class D amplifiers are not digital. They're just switching amplifers. I have a good mind to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority about this...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2310
Farnk,

Where's your system pics?

Jan?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11801

My stuff is very old and only comes out at night. Its image doesn't show up in mirrors or on film.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1745
Film?

What's that stuff?

Don't tell us you're still using the old box Brownie you bought around the time you got the Mac Jan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9316
Mac's. 2xMac 240 amps.

Kinda makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11803

"Don't tell us you're still using the old box Brownie you bought around the time you got the Mac Jan."

It's faster than painting it on the cave walls.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1746
LOl! Gotcha Mr Wayne. Give my regards to Robin.

BTW, my spys sent me a photo of Nuck's Xmas tree. I thought you all should see it.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1944
­
LOL...Those are Grolsch swing tops.

Upload

That's a lot of skunked beer to drink for the sake of having a Christmas "tree".
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 9322
And Canadian cans in all the wrapped boxes!
Thanks for thinking of me, MR.
I think... lemme open a wobbly pop and get the tt wired up, so'sn I can get a new pic.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 90
Didn't manage to take the best pictures, but...

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/Josh784/IMG_5249-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/Josh784/IMG_5247-1.jpg[/IMG]

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5697
Those are like Nuck pics Josh.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
very nice Josh

Gold Member

Post Number: 9360
Oh thanks for that buddy.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 91
Nuck pics? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Here we go, I think I've figured it out!

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 9366
Great stuff Josh!
Ignore the comments about me, just photographically challenged.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5702
"Nuck pics? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

It's nothing!...lol!

Nice pics Josh.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 908
Nuck is not photographically challenged, he is just a vampire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
I love all these pics. Great job guys!

Nice, Josh! What speakers are those? They look beautiful.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1217
Alright, time for my humble setup as well as my father's.
This is my system. Consists of Magnepan MG-Ic speakers with new panels, Denon DVD-2200 for SACDs, Marantz CC-4300, REL Q150E, some chinese made tube amp, and a marantz EQ.

Upload

Upload

Upload

My father's setup consists of Martin Logan Clarity speakers with Adcom gear and Rotel CD player.

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 92
Thanks NMyTree...They are Epos M15.2 speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5704
Both setups look good Christopher. I really like Rotel cd players.

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
Very nice Chris.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 913
2 Generations of audiophiles, certainly cool!

BTW C Lee, do you ever notice any interference from the phone set on the rack?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2330
I think the phone is for that phone call system tweak.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?accstwek&1197088846

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1218
I WANT THAT STU!! Haha, thats a product geared more towards RW than me. MW, the phone has always been there so I don't know if it is causing any interference. The setup is not too expensive since most of it was purchased used but it sure sounds good, atleast to me it does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9397
Which is really all that matters.
Thanks for sharing, CL.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5870
Some new speaker stands for the B&W's and a bit of a new configuration....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us