Newbie question: systems integration?

Unregistered guest
(crosspost)

Hi everyone. I'm an utter audio neophyte looking for some advice on building a PC-centred audio system. Since I've never worked with audio gear, I'm not even sure if my little project is possible...

Background:
My ultimate goal is to build a 6.1 audio setup with all the signals coming through my PC. My PC already has a DVD, CD, sound card (Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS), and connections to an LCD projector. Unfortunately, I literally have no audio hardware to listen on. However, I think that if I can run all the audio sources from my existing PC, I can save a few $$ in building a home theatre system.

Project:
Right now, I'm actively looking to spend ~US$1.1k for a pair of bookshelf speakers to use as the mains and an amplifier to power them. The room is ~600 ft^2 with bare walls & no carpeting, so absorption won't be a problem. I've identified the Paradigm Monitor 5's and Rotel RMB-1066 as attractive targets and am trying to schedule a demo listening. Next yr, I'm planning on picking up 2 rear spkrs (Axiom QS4s?), a subwoofer, a centre channel, spkr stands and some respectable cables & interconnects.

Questions:
1. Since I can barely tell the difference between a banana clip and a banana split, I don't know if this approach even makes sense. I understand that PC audio is plagued by electronic interference and is thus a step down from true hi-fi. Will better speakers coming from a PC be audibly better than a much cheaper generic crap-in-a-box setup?
2. Does the Paradigms paired with the Rotel make sense? I know that the impedences (8ohm) need to match, but I'm pretty lost regarding this max input power & suitable amplifier power range jibberish. Are there other combos in the US$1.1k range that I should consider?
3. Can I route the audio signal from the sound card directly to the amp, and thus avoid purchasing a receiver or pre-amp? Since all the audio signal will be coming from 1 source, I figured the receiver/pre-amp would be superfluous.
4. What kind of connections should I be looking for from the sound card to the amps/receiver/pre-amp/whatever? The card already has 1/8" minijacks, with optional 1/4" steres & S/PDIF (optical & coaxial).

Anyway, I'm swimming in molasses here so any advice on this or related topics would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks,
r
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us