Need help pairing speakers w/Dennon Receiver

Username: Cruser88

West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a DENON AVR 2308 CI for use as a home theater/home audio source and need a bit of advice selecting some speakers. I have come to the realization that what I purchased may not be sufficient to run certain higher-quality speakers. I had visions of going with B & W, Paradigm or similar quality speakers--but now fear I may be relinguished to lower quality Klipsch or Energy or something similar. I do not want to spend the coin on high end speakers and be disappointed because I'm not running them correctly. Any thoughts outside of trashing my receiver??? I am very new to this and have been overwhelmed by all that goes into purchasing these things.

This will be the third system in our home, but hopefully the nicest--I've built a "man-cave" in our basement and the system will be placed in a greatroom, so we're not talking ideal accoustics...but not horrible. The speaker wire has been run in the walls--it's very good grade fire-code wire, but it's not bi-wire (if that's the right terminology).

Thanks for any and all input...

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 807
Energy speakers ain't so bad. I kinda like mine. I like my Klipsch too, but that's sorta an aquired taste.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10011
Steve, knowing your limitations and wants vs needs is a good start.
The Denon is not bad at all, just has its limitations, and you observation of speaker pairing is likely a good one.
Look for a higher sentsitivity speaker if volume is a big requirement.

There wasa review from Malloy on the CV cls 215 speaker setup the might work,see his post

Otherwise, the field is wide open.

Check the manufacturers websites for stable 8ohm speakers, not dipping too low in impedence, and look for a minimal shift in phase angle, tending towards +.

If the dealer who you are working with on this does not understand the needs, see someone else.

You are seeing a stereo dealership, right?

Post Number: 2
Nuck,

I am planning on going through a stereo dealership and have visited a few so far. However, I fear I don't know what questions I should be asking and don't want to be sold something just because I was silent at the wrong time. I would really like the front L/R to not only reproduce good sound quality, but also look very nice--quality woodgrain cabinetry & appearance. I know you don't get both of these qualities from speakers at BestBuy--I just want to make sure my tuner can handle the load adequately.

I appreciate the 8ohms advice...never heard of phase angle shift, so I'll have to do some research--also appreciated advice. I'll check out the CV cls 215 and see if I can find a dealership so I can listen to them.

David--which Energy speakers do you have? I was very close to pulling the trigger on the RC-70 surround set-up, but couldn't quite do it without going out and listening to more options...just can't quite let go of the B & W idea. Thanks!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 809
I have the C-50's. Just a small pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm currently using them as surrounds on my HT, but before that I was using them in my music system in my kitchen. They are surprisingly good for their size.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2836
Steve,

Have a close look at the Focal Chorus 700V series of speakers. They're very sensitive (over 90db/w/m) which means your Denon will love them.

If you'd prefer to stick with a sub/sat system, have a look at Focal's Sib/Cub system. very good value for money here in the UK.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
Frank,

Thanks for the recommendations--those Focal speakers look absolutely beautiful. If they sound anywhere near their appearance I'm excited to hear them! And they seem to be well within my price range which isn't a bad thing either!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2608
The Focals are excellent speakers. The Energies, Paradigms and B&Ws are as well. If you're running lower end Paradigms or B&Ws, the receiver may not have too difficult a time with them. I could be wrong though.

If you like the Energy/B&W/Paradigm sound, another brand to consider is PSB. They're similar in many aspects, yet different. The lower end Image series may be OK with a Denon receiver. While they're 4 ohms minimum impedence, they're a safe 4 ohms. Unlike a lot of others, PSB is very honest with their ratings. If they say 4 ohm minimum, they mean it.

Personally, I think the Focals are the best of the bunch for the money. They're also probably the easiest load on the receiver.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10033
The best of the Psb lot that I have heard is thr B25 standmont.
It ain't shy, but about 86-89 db, the usual.
Lots of power is good, BUT the speaker is stable, 3.7 min(looking for chart), and a miminal phase shift.

These really want good solid stands and minimal isolation, otherwise they will shake themselves apart.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10034
The old T series was reasonable, the Silver series that I run are dreadfully cruel on amps and the ozone.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1344
I like where Stu and Nuck are going with the brands. The new Paradigm line of MOnitor series run 97/94 db's at 8ohms. You could f a r t and give enough power to power these speakers for a few songs. Easily, easily powered to very loud volumes. I also like the PSB's as much as the Paradigms and the Energy speakers are nice as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1345
Focal should top them all in that price range though. Look out for the little Atoms, and the PSB Alpha's.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 825
Alpha's and Atoms are both solid choices. I have both.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10036
My Alpha's are the first issue, and still work well.
I have driven them with a wide variety of stuff, but they always run best with power and de-coupled from a heavy stand.
Solid 47Hz and happy to sing.

I gotta hear then new ones...

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the input--I really appreciate informed advice. I'm strongly leaning toward something in the Focal line, coupled with a Vel. sub.

Here's the next question: do I need to stay with Focal for the rear surrounds, or can/should I consider straying to a different brand? A guy at one of the places I stopped said it's important to timbre match the rears with the fronts...another place said it wasn't that important.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 832
It's not so important. It's good to match the fronts and center, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us