Best receiver for Definitive Technology speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 45
Hi everyone. I keep trying to tweek my system and over the past few months have changed everything in my system including speakers, receiver, cabling and dvd player. I currently own a pair of Definitive Technology BP2006TL speakers with the matching center channel speaker. I have this setup paired up with a Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player (really nice so far), a Cambridge Audio 540R receiver (having some problems with it - see my other posts) and a Nad 2 channel amp (216 THX). Since I am haviving problems with the Cambridge Audio receiver, I think I may dump it back to the distributor and so I would love your suggestions as to what other receivers may match up well with the rest of my system. I previously tried the Yamaha RXV1400 and owned the Marantz SR7300 and the Cambridge Audio was far more enveloping than those two receivers. If possible, I want to retain that quality so some of the brands I am considering are NAD, Harman Kardon, Rotel etc. I just don't know how well these brands match up to Definitive Technology powered speakers. Help!!

Anonymous

try a denon 3805 or 4802.

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 92
Markus, assuming you're happy with the sound of the NAD amp/DefTech combination I would look at an NAD receiver. I believe the T743 retails for the same as your Cambridge Audio 540R (around $900) in Canada. I picked up a T742 last fall for C$650. H/Ks are way overpriced up here, for $900, you'd be looking at the AVR230 model. I would also suggest checking out the Marantz x400 series, since they are reasonably priced here as well and I've read a few posts mentioning they sound better than the x300 series.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 47
Smitty - Bay Bloor Radio has the new T743 on sale for $799 and the T753 for $1199 so I might try them out this weekend or next week. I think I might also try the H/K even though they are really overpriced in Canada. Both are reported to sound quite nice and have a music first philosophy. Did you ever have your T742 issues sorted out?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 93
Markus, the problem I was having was with the left rear channel sounding staticy and/or having very low volume levels. The dealer was unable to reproduce the problem after running it for two days. They figure it may have been either due to poor speaker connections or the microprocessor being in a bad state due to a high or low voltage condition. So, I've since replaced a couple of loose banana plug connections with bare wire for the rear speakers and am using a voltage regulator (I do live in the boonies so the voltage fluctuation may have been the problem). Anyhow, it's been working fine for almost a month now. They also mentioned they sold about a hundred of these units(T742) and mine was the second one to come back, the other one was fried due to a lightning strike and they actually fixed it under warranty.

I like H/K as well (I have an older pro-logic AVR30 unit, rated at 60wpc, 40amps HCC) but prefer the NAD stereo sound quite a bit more, mind you if you're using the NAD external amp anyway this may not be an issue. I suggest having a look at Next Best Thing Electronics (located in Mississauga), there seems to be a problem with their website right now, but they do carry the full line of H/K receivers and will negotiate on pricing. They also carry refurb H/Ks with the full warranty.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 48
Thanks Smitty - unfortunately, JohnnyG (owner of NBT electronics) has decided to close his shop and no longer has any stock of anything. I may test out a unit from FShop and then risk ordering a unit from the US to save $400 CDN.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 94
Markus, Jeez too bad about JohnnyG, it's gotta be tough to be an independant Cdn. H/K dealer with the prices so much cheaper in the US and FS price-matching those who do buy in Canada. H/K really ought to lower their Canadian prices. [And now I will shamelessy encourage ordering H/K from the US ] If you do order from the US, I know that j&r is H/K authorized and ships to Canada. So, theoretically if you have a problem you *may* be able to ship it back to a US H/K service center without too much expense. Also, check out BorderFree for a list of US e-tailers that ship to Canada through Canada Post, it shows you the shipping/duties/taxes calculation up front.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 49
Thanks for the borderfree tip. I'll check it out this weekend. I'll let you know how the H/K sounds once I audition it for a few days.

Sean From Colorado
Unregistered guest
I can't comment on the Canadian issues (I'm in Colorado), but I will say that I just had an HK 7200 delivered to my house about 4 hours ago and it sounds AWESOME with my speakers - which are the same as yours - Def Tech 2006 TLs.

Current prices on the HK AVR 7200 are running around $850 (plus shipping) - which is hard to beat for a high quality 100 watt per channel reveiver.

Cheers from the land of the Avalanche!
;)

Sean

Bronze Member
Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 11
I have a pair of Boston acoustics powered towers, and I am also looking for a nice 7.1 (two subs) receiver to substitute my 5.1 (two subs Sony V555ES). I was thinking of NAD T-773 but I`ve found Onkyo old flagship TX-DS 989 ultra THX2 a better choice cause it`s price is dropping fast. I am also thinking about Rotel. With powered towers, I think the point is to match the crossover for LFE and regular bass and up to now I`ve had to set it as hi as possible (200Hz in m Sony ES). The best would be Denon 5803 flagship but it`s price is forbiden ! Do you think Onkyo 989 is still OK even with its old pair of crystal 24 bit DSPs ?

Anonymous

try B&K Ref50 (ver 1.04) and 7 ch amp 7270 for $3317.00 at least its cheaper than Den 5803 and Yam Z9.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 50
Colorado - that's great to hear re: H/K. I am trying out the AVR430 this weekend since I can't get my hands on the 7200 here in Canada. I called H/K directly and it seems that US products are not covered under the Canadian warranty (they track via serial numbers). As it is, the cheapest I can get the AVR430 here is $1350 CDN or approx. $975 US. I would like the AVR630 but its priced at more than I want to spend (approx. $1100 US).

Wishing I was in the land of the Avalanche!!! :-)

Markus

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 95
Markus, if you're thinking of forking out C$1350, I also recommend taking a look at the Pioneer Elite models. I believe some of them are in at that price point in Canada.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 52
Smitty - looks like I will be stuck with either an Onkyo, a Yamaha, a Sony or H/K. My distributor has arranged to buy back my Cambridge Audio receiver from my dealer but in exchange, my local dealer is only offering me a credit. That said, my dealer is great and has offered to order in any product that I might want. Problem is that I can work a better deal on anything they already carry but will have to pay full pop on anything they order in. I was considering the NAD T753 but at full pop ($1599 CDN), I think I will stick with the H/K. I tried out the AVR330 this weekend and it was alright. Not quite as enveloping as the Cambridge Audio but the functionality was pretty cool and music still sounded quite good. I am hoping that the jump up to the AVR430 will improve things somewhat as it has better dacs, 32 bit processing, a little more power and better functionality. I can get it for $1250 CDN which is still a ripoff compared to US unauthorized pricing but better than any other CDN dealer I called. Retail is $1500 CDN.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Markus

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 96
Markus, I assume you've crossed the NAD T743 off your list (I believe MSRP is C$950)? If the Onkyo and Yamaha are your only choices I'd at least give them a listen, probably the Onkyo SR-701 and Yamaha VSX-1400 would be in the C$1200 ballpark. However, if you like Cambridge Audio, NAD and H/K I'd be suprised if the Onkyo or Yamaha will appeal to you.

You may want to ask your dealer if he can get you any of last years H/K models for a better price. I would rate the AVR525 as better than the AVR430. Also, I believe the AVR325 is better than the AVR330. Alternatively, you can ask them about H/K factory authorized refubs to save a bit more money, they do carry the same warranty as new.

Personally, I would go for the T743[5.1 only], particularly since you already have the NAD 2-channel amp. My second choice would be to pay a bit more cash for the AVR430.

If it makes you feel any better the AVR430 is the least of the ripoffs in the H/K line in Canada :-).

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 53
Smitty - The NAD T743 is unfortuantely off my list. The lowest I wanted to go in the NAD series was the T753. Before I bought the Cambridge Audio, I tried out both the Onkyo and the Yamaha against my Marantz 7300 and found that they didn't have the enveloping and warm sound I was looking for. The Yamaha was better than the Marantz for home theater in my room, especially after calibrating the room EQ. but the Cambridge Audio was even better as it sounded fuller and had a much larger sound stage than the Yamaha, especially for music. This is the feeling I am trying to keep so I'll stay away from the Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon etc.

I'll let you know how I make out with the H/K 430 as I am picking it up tonight. If it doesn't make the grade, I don't know what else to try in that price range ($1250 CDN) :-(

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 246
Pioneer Elite 53/55 might be worth a try.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 97
Markus, you're in a tough spot. I presume the problems you're having with the lack of processing on the Cambrige Audio pre-outs is a design limitation as opposed to a problem that they're planning on fixing?

Since you're stuck paying full price for anything the dealer doesn't sell, it doesn't leave many options. There seems to be a price point on receivers in Canada around C$900-$1000 and the next point is C$1500.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 55
Smitty - I hooked up the new H/K AVR 430 last night but haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. Even so, I can't help but feel like I am settling somehow. My heart tells me to go with the NAD since I already have the NAD 216THX amp. I can ask my dealer to order in a unit but it will be a one shot deal. I won't be able to return it if things don't work out. For the price, I am now considering the NAD T743 - it is only 50 watts per channel so I am a litlle worried about its ability to deliver in my room (very large open space). What do you or any other forum members suggest? Help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Well, if you have the 216 for the main channels the T743 should be very sufficent. If you could find a T752 it would also be a nice choice. With it and the 216 you could have a nice 7.1 system with lots of power. Is the T753 out of budjet?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 99
Markus, I'm clearly biased towards my current NAD T742, so I would say go for the T743. Power-wise, I think using the NAD 216THX amp for the main channels would alleviate that issue. Additionaly, if you have a sub then the T743 only has to drive 3 speakers at >80Hz, it should be capable of handling that load quite easily.

I have my NAD T742 in the basement (approx. 25' x 35' x nearly 8') and I'm quite satisifed with the power levels. My speakers are pretty efficient (ranging from 91dB to 95dB sensitivity). The NAD plays loud and clean [as did my previous 60wpc H/K AVR30 btw].

Spec-wise the T743 should be able to deliver the same level of power as the H/K AVR330 you demoed, did you find this sufficient?

Presumably, the NAD will at least have the regular warranty and you will be able to bring it to a service center if necessary?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 56
Thanks for your advice landroval. I will try to demo the Pioneer Elites at another dealer later this week but I think they may be out of my price range. As such, so is the NAD T753 unless my dealer hands it to me at cost. I should know more in a few days. I toyed with the H/K 430 this evening and I am a little dissapointed. I needed to hook up my NAD amp just to get the same level of sound out of my system that the Cambridge Audio was delivering on its on. Dare I say it but I think the Cambridge Audio was more forward and certainly more powerful than the H/K. Think I will test out the NAD T743 over the weekend from another dealer and see what I can work out. Since the H/K was rated at 65 watts per channel and the NAD is rated at 50 watts per channel, will I be let down given that the H/K didn't perform?

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 57
By the way landroval - what receiver setup do you own? Did you ever try out the Cambridge Audio?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 58
Smitty - the H/K was a bit of a letdown in the power department. Even with the AVR430, it seemed that everytime there was an action sequence, the sound would muddy and loose definition. I tried some of my reference test scenes and the H/K did really well on some (nightcrawler sequence in X2) and horribly on others (Pod race in Episode I). The H/K seems to lack the guts to perform at peak levels and certainly seems more laid back than the Cambridge Audio. Once I hooked up my NAD amp, things improved considerably but still remained weak in the center channel (no additional amp powering this channel). I need to recalibrate the speaker settings and probably boost the center channel so that dialogue doesn't get drowned out. I will say that if I could afford another amp for the center channel, I think that this H/K might make a nice pre/pro but that kind of money could definately put me into a nicer receiver all together and I probably wouldn't have to worry about adding additional amps to get decent definition and sound.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 100
Markus, sorry to hear that the H/K was a bit of a letdown. I should qualify my earlier statement about the H/Ks power being fine, I was really referring to stereo power. I never played it very loud watching movies (this was before the basement was finished, so I had to be careful not to wake up the kids).

If you can test out a T743 that would be ideal. The NAD receivers are more forward than the H/K. They also have a fair amount of dynamic power (including the T743) for those short bursts during intense scenes and are designed to handle 4ohm loads, but I can't comment on how it would compare to the Cambridge Audio, which sounds like it has a very impressive amplifier section, especially for its weight (21 lbs.). Like landroval says, the T752 might be more up you alley if you can get your hands on one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
I'm actually still looking for a new receiver like you are. Options are T743, T753, 540R and P-Elite 53. I haven't yet tried the CA, and I still should get to compare the two NADs. I've been quite busy for the last two weeks.

I've heard many kinds of opinions about the new H/Ks, and most of them are quite negative. Some say they're cold and emotionless, some that they're too round and muffled.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 60
So far, muffled is the term I would use, at least with some test material. I'll let you know how things sound once I configure the system a touch more.

Good luck with your hunt. I hope you have better luck than what I am having.

Markus

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
i still have the 540r,but am looking for plan b,the big problem for me is the clicking sound through the speakers.i have told simon about it and he knows nothing but is checking it out.heard a rumor that there is going to be a 640r later this year.it will be 7.1 but further details are scarce.i am also going to demo a elite vsx-41,do not know much about pioneer,but heard good things.
good luck
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 61
Bill - Has Simon suggested you replace the receiver? How about your dealer (its on loan to your, correct?). I would try to swap receivers first to see if that eliminates the problem, especially if you love the sound. I am really frustrated right now - trying to find a receiver that sounds as good as the 540R has not been easy. I have tried Marantz, Yamaha and Onkyo as well as Harman Kardon to no avail. The Japanese products were to thin sounding and the Harman was decent for music but was too muddied and laid back (in my listening room atleast) for effective movie watching. I still need to try Pioneer Elite and retry NAD but if my loal dealer can't special order these units in at a fair price, I will go back to the 540R and live with its problems until the 640R comes out - at which time I will move the 540R to my bedroom or office for some great listening (not movies).

By the way - the fixed "chips" should be here next week sometime.

Good luck.

Markus

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 102
Markus, I was wondering if your center channel is bi-amp capable? If so, it *may* be possible to use two of the unused amplifiers in the NAD T743 to power it(since you have the separate amp for the l&r channels). I know the front three amplifiers are assignable (via jumpers), perhaps you could split the center channel pre-out into two of these inputs. This might result in the kind of power you would like for the center channel. Too bad there's no way to bridge the amplifiers in the T743.

I'm of course assuming you're happy with the NAD sound but concerned about the power output of the T743 model.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
I've also been thinking about the possibility to bi-amp the center or surrounds with the NADs extra amps if using a separate power amp. My center is bi-amp capable so it could be done easily. With VSX-53 it is possible to bi-amp the fronts at the cost of losing the rear centers, but 5.1 is fine for my room. I'm having a hard time deciding what I want...

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 62
Smitty and landroval - unfortunately, my center channel is not bi-amp capable (I am using a powered Def Tech CLR2300). I'm not sure that power is the issue as the H/K AVR430 I just testdrove over the past few days had more power than the T743 but it didn't seem to handle it well. It was very muddy and lacked detail (in my room) as opposed to the Cambridge Audio 540R (the H/K was terribly muddy until I hooked up my Nad 2 channel amp which helped somewhat but things still lacked definition). As long as the power handling is clear and never muddies, I should be OK. Right now I am having a problem with my dealer re: ordering a NAD or Pioneer product. I asked him for prices 3 days ago and he keeps coming up with excuses for not getting them yet. He says probably Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. By that time, my 7 day trial will run out on the H/K and I will be stuck with an even larger credit to burn at his store. I am going to drop off the H/K tomorrow and live without a receiver until this mess gets straightened out.

Sorry to vent :-(

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 105
Markus, it's probably a longshot but I wonder if it's worth approaching a local NAD and/or PE dealer that also stocks one of the brands that you 'have' to purchase about exchanging the receiver. You could for instance pick up say the H/K AVR230 or something similarly priced to your CA 540R and deliver it unopened to a NAD/PE dealer in exchange for a new receiver, hopefully at some discount.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 63
Smitty - I've looked on both the NAD and Cambridge Audio website and apparently there are no dealers in and around Toronto that carry both product lines. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I will probably just exchange the H/K for a Cambridge Audio 540R again (new unit) and either live with the problems for now or maybe take a loss on the unit (sell on ebay) and get the NAD from Bay Bloor Radio. My birthday is next week so my wife suggested throwing some money into the kitty and getting the T743. That way, if I keep the CA 540R, I'll have a great music system in another room and the NAD for home theater.

Given that my room is effectively 4700 cu.ft. (very open concept), do you think that the T743 coupled with my 216THX amp will provide me with enough home theater oomph?

Thanks.

Markus

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 107
Markus, despite your problems with the CA unit, I think you should count your blessings as you have a very understanding wife :-).

I don't really know what to suggest, personally I would have probably been satisifed with the CA 540R without the NAD amp - but you clearly desire a lot of 'oomph'. I can't help but think you might benefit from a strong (or maybe a second) subwoofer. I'm not in a great position to advise you as I've never really had a high-powered setup - so I'm quite happy with the performance of my 50w x 5 NAD, high sensitivity AR speakers and a Paradigm PS-1000 sub.

I don't suppose Bay Bloor Radio has any T752s left?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 64
I have a VERY understanding wife!!! :-) Sometimes I don't believe how understanding she is when it comes to this hobby / obsession.

I am actually quite happy with the bass performance of my powered Def Tech speakers (effectively three smaller subs spread out across the room). They replaced my old system of B&W DM602 speakers and two 12" subs. I never really heard any holes in my sound when it came to the CA540R but I certainly am with the H/K. Funny thing is, I will probably fall in love with the CA540R all over again after trying all these other receivers - it just seems to have a far more dynamic sound and definately a more enveloping sound.

I went to Bay Bloor last night and they didn't have any older NAD models left. They also didn't have the T753 hooked up to any speakers whatsoever and had the T743 hooked up to some super small wall hung / designed for plasmas type speakers. The combination sounded horrible, very shrill. I am 100% positive that this was the result of the speakers and not the NAD. How could anyone ever buy such a system is beyond me. If you invest so much $$$ into a TV, atleast invest in some sound that will do it justice!! (Rant mode off).

I am making an appointment at Bay Bloor next week where they will hookup the NAD T743 & T753 to some Def Techs for me to listen to properly. I'll be able to better judge the units then. To be honest though, this process has tired me out and I'll probably just keep the CA540R until the 640R is relesed or until the upgrade bug hits me again (always around X-mas time :-)).

Thanks for all your input and advise. I am glad that there are those here who are so helpful and that enjoy their own systems immensly.

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
in the same boat,still looking,cant find anything better.going to dealer this afternoon to see about swaping units to see if the click goes away.did you have a chance to try your 540d through the multi channel input for dvd video
thanks
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 65
Bill - never had a chance to connect the multi channel input . Ended up giving the CA540R back before remembering to try it. Since I should have a new CA540R by Thursday, I will try it then and let you know what I find out. By the way, who is your dealer?

Thanks,
Markus

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
my dealer is peak audio in halifax and they are great guys and treat me very well.i heard a pioneer elite vsx-41 in a store demo only which i can get for $500 cdn,but its on clearance and cannot go back if i dont like it at home.sounded good in the store,but i dont know what to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
bill, did you get to compare it to anything else?

bill
Unregistered guest
landroval
yes marantz sr7300, sound was very close to identical.
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 66
Bill - will your dealer let you demo the Pioneer elite at home for a night? That's probably better than buying it and then being stuck with it if it doesn't work out. The price for the PE is quite nice but I keep reading different threads stating that the VSX-41 is not a true elite receiver. Not sure if that means you won't like it but at the full retail price I probably would have passed on it in favour of the competition.

Any luck demoing a different CA540R?

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
unfortunatly the pioneer is at a different dealer,and i dont know them very well.think i am going to pass on it.still like that 540r.
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 68
Bill - I am buying another 540R from my local dealer as its the only receiver I like that they can get their hands on (tired of demoing receivers from different dealers and having to return them - seems unfair to do this to them as I would have to still purchase whatever I choose from my local dealer). I think I will also sell the Nad 216THX on ebay or audiogon and then look for a used Arcam AVR100 or AVR200 to play around with. I can always use the second receiver in my office and leave the best sounding unit in my media center.

Any luck having your dealer replace your 540R with something that doesn't make clicking noises?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 108
Markus, Did you ever try out a NAD T743/T753 in your home? Out of curiosity, what were you hoping to get for your NAD 216THX?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 69
Smitty - I didn't get a chance to do an in home demo of the T743 / T753 but I did try a T752 a few months ago. I did demo the T743 in store but the speaker setup was horrible so it wasn't a fair evaluation. I just don't want to deal with any other dealers anymore (not fair to them) and I don't want to order a T743/T753 blind from my local dealer. From my test with the T752, there wasn't much difference between it and my Cambridge Audio unit except for some greater functionality etc. Maybe I will pick up a T753 once they become discounted.

As for the 216THX, I paid $270 US (including shipping and customs) from audiogon but if you are interested, I would move it for FAR less since you are in Canada. Drop me a personal email if interested.

Thanks,

Markus

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Remember that the AVR100 and AVR200 are basically identical to T751 and/or T752. I dont think they're worth the price, get a T753 or T763 instead.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 70
Thanks landroval - I plan to listen to both the Arcam and the Nad to compare. I know they share the same chassis and construction but I do believe that they sound different - they have different DACs etc. Besides, I am hoping to pick up an AVR100 for approx. $500 US. The NAD T753 is considerably more money. Since I'm no longer in any big hurry, I have all the time in the world to find a great deal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
Yeah, do that and report how you liked them. You're right about the Arcam having a bit different sound, maybe it'll be the last step needed to make you satisfied, who knows. Good luck.

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
simon emailed me that other units are having the same clicking sound,so i dont think i will get another unit even though my dealer offered one.i think i will wait for the new chips and see what takes place.i tire of the search.simon also says he has sent a message to cambridge seeking a complete list of everything the new chips will fix.i want to wait for that.btw my dealer also sells arcam and has a new avr300 and suprisingly does not like it not even as good as the denon 3805.i heard it briefly and must say i agree.
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 72
Landroval, Smitty, Bill and everyone else who would like to comment. I've been shopping around some more for a receiver in case my replacement CA540R doesn't work out. I found a few deals that I would need to jump on right away so your comments would be greatly appreciated. Here are the deals:

Rotel RSX-1055 (new) - $1500 CDN plus taxes.
NAD T752 (4 months old & warranty) - $850 CDN total.
Arcam AVR100 (used & no warranty) - $800 CDN total

I've been leaning towards the T752 since I already have the NAD 216THX amp (sorry Smitty - if I get this unit, I'll keep the amp, otherwise its yours) but I'm a little concerned about some speaker hiss I detected last time I tested the unit.

Since my wife has reached her understanding limit!!! :-) and clearly stated that this is my last upgrade / change, I have also been leaning towards the Rotel. I haven't had a chance to demo it at home yet but in the store it sounds quite nice with my speakers and looks stunning. My problem is that it comes to over $900 more CDN after taxes. Is this worth it?

Right now the Arcam is my last choice. It lacks component switching which means I would need to purchase a separate switch box. I am tempted by the reported sound quality though.

Thanks for your opinions.

Markus

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
It's a tough decision if you cant audion them at home. If the NAD is flawless I would probably take it. There is of course a risk of humm and hiss and everything, but you cant avoid it regardless wich unit you buy. Also the warranty is good to have, I wouldn't dare to buy anything this expensive without some kind of warranty. The Arcam is also very old and lacks some nice features like Pro Logic 2, ES/EX decoders, components, digital out and it has only 3 digital ins. The Rotel is an easy choice, little more expensive, but if you take it you'll probably sell the 216 to have some of that money back. It'll be new and have full warranty wich is always good to have.

So If I were you I would choose between the Rotel and the T752+216. The latter will provide you 7.1 sound, a lot of power and great sound. I think a separate power amp has almost always a better sound quality than something wich is built inside an AVR. The Rotel of course is a bit safer choice, and will be pleasant to use, it offers everything you need and it is new with warranty. It looks nice and has some additional features when compared to the NAD. Bass management for multichannel input, serial-port for upgrades, HDCD decoder and second room output. What it doesn't have is headphone out and turntable in. So it's a hard choice, both are good.

Here's some rewievs wich might help:

The Rotel:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2687
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/rotel-rsx-1055-receiver-5-2003.html
http://www.cnet.com/Rotel_RSX_1055/4505-6466_7-20850986-2.html?tag=top

The Arcam:
http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.whatvideotv.com/testb ench/Amplifiers/Arcam/ArcamAVR100.shtml
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/arcam-avr100_e.html
(T751): http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice .com/testbench/Amplifiers/NAD/NADT751.shtml

Couldn't find any reviews of T752.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 73
Landroval, thanks for all the links. Its funny how some reviewers can love a product while others may feel completely the opposite (ex. Arcam).

I went to a dealer again last night to listen to the NAD and Rotel units in store. Both sound quite nice with the Rotel sounding more detailed and the Nad having more middle appeal (seemed to have more colour or bass in everything it played). I think these are just unique sonic characteristics of each brand and that one is not necessarily better than the other.

Once I got home, I proceeded to setup my new Cambridge Audio 540R which I picked up yesterday afternoon and as I suspected, I fell in love with it all over again. It is really head and shoulders over the H/K I had for the past 3 weeks. I plan to play with it extensively over the weekend again to really see if the problems that bothered me before are really that big of a deal breaker. I do have it hooked up to my NAD amp so I still can't mute the speakers but I figure no big deal for the time being. My wife REALLY loves the Cambridge Audio unit (looks and especially sound) so it may just stay in my system. Sometimes you just don't know what you have until its gone. This definately might be the case for me. If come the weekend, I am bothered by the Ca540R, I'll jump on the NAD T752 if its still available. I liked the Rotel better in terms of sonic character but it lacks a headphone output (very important once my wife goes to bed and I want to stay up and watch movies as our bedroom is overhead) and I would say it definately wasn't worth double the price of what I can get the NAD for.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll let you know how I make out next week:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 12
Markus,

That dealer you mentioned, would that happen to be the Great Metropolitan Sound (http://www.greatmet.com/aboutus.htm) on Yonge and Eglinton? If not, you might want to visit them and ask about the prices for the NAD T** models that you've mentioned. I bought a pair of PSB Alpha Intro LR's last Friday as I am building my HT piece by piece. They gave me a good deal. I plan to go back and get the rest of the PSB Image speakers. They're willing to me give a good deal on that plus the T753 or T762/3, whichever way I decide to go --- of course, depending on how far I can stretch my budget.

Enjoy your new Cambridge Audio 540R. BTW, are there any authorized CA dealers in Toronto or the GTA? I'm also interested in their Soundworks series:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio

From what I've read, their "mini" radios are far more superior than the overpriced, overhyped Boss Wave.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 75
Ojophile - unfortunately no, I haven't been dealing with Great Metropolitan. I've been dealing with Kromer Radio as they are an authorized Cambridge Audio dealer. There are a few authorized dealers in Toronto - if you go to www.cambridge-audio.co.uk you can get a list there.

By the way, Cambridge Audio and Cambridge Soundworks are two entirely different companies. CA is a UK company while CS is based in the US.

Thanks for the tip re: Great Met. I will check them out this week :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 15
Markus, thanks for the info on Cambridge. I didn't realize the two names were two different companies.

Anyway, I wrote Cambridge Soundworks last night inquiring about authorized dealers and here's their quick reply:

Don,

Thank you for your inquiry. Most Cambridge SoundWorks home audio and multimedia products can now be purchased online from our website
( http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/), and shipped to Canada via a company called Borderfree.

For more information regarding orders shipping to Canada, please follow this link:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=cs_order_canadian

Unfortunately, there are no retail stores in Canada that carry our home audio products.

Thank you for visiting Cambridge SoundWorks.
-CSW Customer Service

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
i would be interested to hear if your second 540r has the same problems as the first.heard from my dealer that the chips may be 2-3 weeks away,but i yhink we have heard that before.
thanks
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 76
Bill - my second CA540R has the same small problems as my first unit but I really don't seem to mind as much this time around, especially since trying out all those other units. You will be pleased to hear though that both my first and second units did / do not have the clicking noise problem your unit has. I would definitely exchange your unit if still possible.

Last I heard, the chips were already on the way. I guess we just have to be patient :-)

Username: Levike

Cathedral City, California USA

Post Number: 9
I own the Pioneer Eilte VSX-43TX and I couldn't be happier, because I am using Def Tech BP8B speaker for the front, C2 Center, Pf15+ Subwoofer, and Pioneer Eilte 47Ai DVD-Player.

My Definitive Technology speakers never sounded this good, especially for the price I have paid for the Receiver. Also Def Tech speakers love 6 Ohm and that is what I am using on the Pioneer Elite 43TX.
I used to have an HK AVR-520 and I am sorry to say but the Pioneer Elite 43TX beats it by far (Very Far)
I would recommend Pioneer Eilte, Denon, Sony ES, and of course Adcom, Krell, and BK for Definitive Technology speakers.
Nothing else will work as good as these receivers.
Also HK is pretty good, but I would never turn back after the Pioneer.
Also the loudness button is so that everything will be the loudest, so you don't have to reach Zero on the Volume Dial.
If you do not use the Loudness button and adjust the speakers to LARGE, and don't adjust the channel levels to +10 it will not sound good, but after you do these simple adjustments you will be suprised what a great match the Pioneer Elite is with Def Tech Speakers. I should know that is what I've got, but nobody has to believe me.
Anyway try Pioneer Eilte receivers.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 83
Levi - actually Definitive Technology suggests pairing up their speakers with ""high current" amp designs from Denon, Integra, Nad and Rotel (for starters) so I think its unfair to state that "nothing" will work as well as the receivers you mentioned.

Glad you enjoy your system though :-)

Markus

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 84
Hey Smitty and Landroval. Just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting a NAD t752 for $725 CDN (taxes incl.) with warranty. Should have it in a few days. I ended up selling my NAD 216THX amp and was surprised on how constricted the CA540R sounded without it. Almost a little harsh by comparison (for movies primarily). That pretty much made up my mind to get the NAD. I still like the CA540R for music though but I am undecided on whether or not I will sell it on ebay. Just previous to the NAD purchase, I ended up buying a 5 channel Rotel amp on ebay as well so I may just flip the amp on ebay again once its delivered or may keep it for the front three channels.

Cheers :-)

Markus

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 111
Markus,

That's a great deal on the T752. I paid a bit more (C$650+tax) for my T742 last fall and thought that was a good deal :-).

FYI, when I did bring my T742 in for service (which didn't turn up any problems) I asked about the return rate on T752s and they said the only reported problems were resolved by firmware updates.

Can I presume from your experience with the stereo amp that you'd recommend spending the extra money on a 3 or 5 channel amp to give the center channel that extra boost of power?

Anyhow, hope the NAD T752 works out well for you.

Happy Canada Day!

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Good to know that you finally got a final setup. If I got it right you have or will have a T752 and a 5 channel Rotel amp?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 85
Smitty - with regards to the Ca540R, I would definitely recommend a three channel amp. I originally thought that the preouts for the Ca540R didn't support DPLII processing but later found out that it did - I had a problem that my speakers were all calibrated together for loud movie watching but when I turned down the volume for tv watching, my speakers became uncalibrated thanks to a different gain setting between the amp and the receiver (if you went close to the speakers, you could hear them working but they were extremely overpowered by the centre channel that was still connected to the receiver's amps). Because of this, I decided to sell the 216thx and buy an older Rotel amp that could be bridged to 3 channels (100w x 3) and also had an adjustable gain setting so I could better match it to the receiver. It was after I sold the 216thx that I noticed it was a little harsh sounding when listening to movies (I really noticed the loss of headroom). I was just checking some posts the other day and the deal of the NAD just seemed too good to pass up, so I jumped on it. So know I will have the NAD T752, the CA540R and a Rotel amp. I'll play around with all the combintaions, keep what I like best and sell the rest. It will be interesting to see if the Rotel will add any benefit to the NAD or not. Since I have already paid for all these units, I'll take my time and have fun tinkering:-)

Happy Canada Day!!! Ottawa is always amazing during this long weekend. I'm jealous!

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
Happy Canada Day too, I have relatives in Vancouver so I can join the party :-)

You sure it's a 5 channel Rotel, seems weird that you'll bridge 5 to get 3. At least the current RMB1066 is 6*60W and can be bridged to 3x150W.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 86

The Rotel amp is model number RB-956AX. Its very similar to the RMB-1066 except its lowest power is 40 watts x 5 and can be bridged to any number of channels, increasing power as you decrease channels. Wish I had the money for the RMB-1066 at the time but it would of cost me $1200 CDN from my dealer (taxes incl.). I didn't want to spend that at the time so I opted for ebay.

Best regards,
Markus

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
did you have a chance to test the analog outputs on your 540d.you will find the onboard dolby digital decoder is very good.you may find your missing headroom.
bill

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 87
Bill - never purchased the cables to hook it up properly as you suggest. What do you do re: DTS? I thought that the 540D only had a DD decoder and no DTS. I typically listen to DTS whenever it is available.

Thanks,

Markus

bill
Unregistered guest
markus
you are right no dts.but i found i prefered dd done this way to dts done by the reciever.the onboard decoder is that good in the 540d.i exchanged messages with a guy on another forum that worked for cambridge and he mentioned that the engineering team also felt this way.try it you will like it.
bill

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
Also at Homecinema-FR they prefer the internal decoder of the 540D over the one at the receiver. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
So, Markus, how is it going with the CA, NAD and Rotel?

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 90
Landroval - things are good! Hooked up the NAD T752 and I am very happy with the results. It really is a better receiver than the CA540R but then again, it costs quite a bit more as well ($1499 vs. $900 here in Canada (suggested retail)). I received my Rotel amps last week but one was damaged in the shipping process. To tell you the truth, I like the NAD so much that I doubt I will hook up the Rotel (1 remaining) amp. I ended up selling the CA540R to a friend of mine that was looking for an interim solution and I will probably just buy an older Rotel processor and hook that up to my Rotel amp to listen to music in my office. Very happy with my home theater at the moment but kind of sad as well as the upgrading process is over for the moment. Loved trying out different things and researching products on this forum :-)

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 114
Markus, glad to hear everything worked out for you with the NAD. I know what you mean about the upgrading process being over though, as they say...the chase is better than the catch.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 91
Thanks Smitty - the chase IS always the most exciting part!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us