JBL HTI6C Deceptive Marketing

Username: Ericv

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and wanted to get some feedback regarding the JBL speakers listed in the subject. I purchased 4 sets of these speakers to use in a home I'm remodeling. Upon unboxing the first set I noticed that they appeared smaller than the 6.5 inches advertised on the specifications. They are in fact only 5.5 inches.
I am not an audio expert, but with every other example (manufacturer)I look at a 6.5" speaker is 6.5 inches. JBL gave me a BS story that all speakers are not what they advertise them as. I think its extremely deceptive, and allows JBL price point an unfair advantage over manufacturers that choose to porvide what their specifications say they are provideing.

Am I off base here? Anyone noticed this or have any insight regarding this?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 108
Part of the legal leway JBL have is the OVERALL measurement methodology of the speaker. The diameter of the entire UNIT may be 6.5 inches as they state, but the actual driver surface area measurement (subtracting the surround, say) could easily be only 4.5" or so.
You're certainly not off base voicing your concern here. I constantly want people to not get ripped off, that's why I share my experiences.
Did you call JBL and talk to someone?

Username: Ericv

Post Number: 2
Thanks for replying chicobiker. I did call JBL and the response I received only annoyed me further. This fellow explained in a very fatherly way that "much like car audio, if the speaker diameter was truly 6.5 inches that it would not fit in the 6.5" hole that our consumers expect when they order a 6.5 inch speaker." what a joke.
Bottom line, every manufacturer I have looked at so far gives you a 6.5" (+/- 1/4") inch speaker when you buy a 6.5 inch speaker. The thing I find the most disgusting are their specifications. Under the specs for the speaker it breaks out woofer and tweeter dimensions and still clearly states, "6.5 inch polymer-coated aluminum cone with /rubber surround." It is very interesting that all the remaining dimensions are exact and accurate, except the woofer dimensions. I will be returning these and purchasing Niles instead. I guess I'm just complaining now, :-) but I think it is worth bringing to audio consumers attention.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 51
It does seem deceptive however keep in mind that woofer diameter isn't everything. Companies generally advertise it as such since people pay attention to size but many other factors contribute to sound quality and bass extension.

Thats just an aside though because I would be a bit upset if I was sold something with certain specs and the product did not meet them

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 374
if you measure from outside rubber surround to
outside rubber surround the size should be that's
aproximate anyway 5.5 inches that's standard for
most drivers they leave the last inch for 1/2"
on both sides for the rest of the bracket that
mounts the speaker.

now if the speaker is less than 5 inches from the
outside surround to the other outside surround