Help Guys. NAD getting radio?

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 48
I know this has been mentioned before but now mine is doing it! When the volume is up, radio stations can clearly be heard. What have been peoples fixes for this? I thought I had my problems nailed down but tonight I got my new tv so I hooked a few more things up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'll look into it more but I've already tried disconnecting the sub cable which was a problem before but no luck. ugh, i can't believe this is happening!

Theater Moose
Unregistered guest
When I had a radio station coming out of my surrounds, I diagnosed it as Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), and cured it by using a Ferrite Choke Core ($5.00 at Radio Shack). Basically, various cables act as antennas and draw RFI into the Receiver, which then boosts the volume. You wrap the choke around the offending cable which "chokes" off the RFI. The first step is to determine where the RFI is coming from and then apply the choke.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I will look into the choke cores. As of now, the interferrance has faded and has gone down to the acceptable levels i had before (nothing audible until over +10dB). I will work on finding the cause but both times I've started to have a noise issue it has gone away on its own so I can't tell if its something I changed or just a power anomolie... Any ideas? Also, how can I tell which cables are introducing noise so I can put one of those chokes on it? Since it is a small amount of noise at this point, I can't tell if it is a specific cable. I think it might just be that the amp gets a bit noisy at those levels?

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 97
I think I read in some of the threads on this that the sub cable was generally the culprit.

Theater Moose
Unregistered guest
To determine which cable is the problem child, remove every cable from the receiver. Then, plug in the cables one by one. It should be pretty clear which cable is the problem.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Turn the reciever off each time before you plug in another wire or you will have more problems than a radio station in the surrounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Well as I said before the problem kinda went away on its own but now it seems to have come back and is different. it still involves a background hiss with radio audible but now it happens at all volumes no matter how low which to me is unacceptable. I have reset the unit and if anything it got worse... I emailed nad tonight so I hope i hear from them.

Honestly, when listening to music I'm sure that I can't tell a difference and so some would say forget about it because this is sooo much better than my older yamaha (it hissed, buzzed, you name it which doesn't make it right but other receivers do it too) I think the main point is its bugging me and I want to know why its happening especially on this on and off basis. Why does it come and go? to me, that makes it more annoying.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Intermittent problems can be impossible to find on a test bench. Many problems disappear when removed from the owner's system. Before you take it in, I would temporarily set it up in a simple system with a pair of speakers somewhere else in the house to see if it still has problems. If so, take it for repair. If the tech says it meets spec and they can't repeat the problem your first recourse is with your dealer.

Theater Moose
Unregistered guest
J. Vigne, you said it. I took my 763 into the store I bought it, they hooked it up, and damn if I couldn't hear a thing. I got home, and bang, the radio was back again. As I noted above, I tracked it down to the sub cable. In a fit of frustration, I ended up hooking up one speaker and plugging the receiver into an extension cord and walking around the house to see where the interference was strongest. Wouldn't you know it, I walk out of the room where the TV is, and the interference went away. Probably had something to do with the fact that it was a new addition with more metal, less wood.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us