Computer to receiver connection questions

Username: The84monkey

Post Number: 7
I don't know if this is the right forum for this kind of question but here it is.
What I want to do is have the best connection between my computer and receiver.
I have a Denon 2803 receiver hooked up to my computer. Since I don't use it as a home theater component I can't get the high quality input formats from dvd players and the like. Since my computer acts as a mp3, cd, and dvd player I want to get the best possible signal to my receiver. Right now I have a simple radioshack connection which connects the 1/8 phone output jack from behind my computer to the red and white phono inputs in my receiver. I doubt this is a very good quality connection compared to optical connections.
One solution I found was with this product:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040601192535068006104159322276/g=home/se arch/detail/base_pid/701381/
I can go from USB output to optical input. Or I was thinking about purchasing a new sound card with optical ouputs, but that would run me over 100 dollars.
If I go with the adapter would I be able to watch DVDs in DTS or DD formats? Music also?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 219
That seems to be a similar device than the nice Creative MP3+ USB soundcard. With it you have stereo RCA-out and digital optical-out to passthrough DD and DTS and of course music and everything else. That M-Audio seems to do the same.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 363
monkeyboy i would try that device you found.

i've been a tech for 20 years and the best way to
do this is with a sound card upgrade.

but that would be more expensive and difficult to
do than just plugging in a usb device and install
some drivers.

i would try it. for that price can't hurt!

if you do, post back let us know.
i'm interested!

Username: The84monkey

Post Number: 8
Thanks for your help guys, I will let you know how it goes. I am currently looking at the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard for 100 bucks or that M-audio driver. Both have digital outs and the M-audio also has optical out. I have been reading a lot about digital vs. optical connections and it seems like digital is the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Trailerparkking

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 38
Just an FYI monkeyboy, I am in the same boat and have been doing research on sound cards. The Audigy 2 is a nice card but you can pick up the Brand New Top of the line Turtle Beach Catalina on Ebay for $66 here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4132542983&sspagename=STRK%3A MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also if you want to go even less expensive you can pick up the Turtle Beach Riviera which is a 5.1 for $30 online just about anywhere. It has an optical out as well.

Chaintech and Gainward also have 7.1 soundcards with optical outs around the $25-$30 range all over Ebay. It seems like these would be even more convenient options if you know how to install stuff like that.

Just my $.02!! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us