Help me to choice a B&W loudspeaker

Username: Narke

Post Number: 1
Hi,

My budget is up to $1500 and the current candidates are B&W 705, CM1, 683, 685. Because the local store don't have whole of them to illustrate to me, I think I have to go to another bigger city to listen. So, that's why I want to get some of your opinions here.

I found the most reviews on 705 is very good, but few are not because some people think that the 705 is too bright and they think it might have something to do with it's too high and unusual crossover of 3700Hz between tweeter and woofer. So my first question will be: does the 705 really so bright? I will mainly be listening classical music including symphonies, concerts/sonatas, solos, operas and so on.

The second question is: if 705 is too bright, how about the CM1? Will be a problem its too small dimenstions? I think it will be hard to image presenting a symphony from such a small box, but I am not sure about it.

Third: How do you compare 683 to 705 or 683 to CM1? which is better? And, does the 683 bright or soft?

Last but not the least, What's the producing country of these models? I heard some of which are made in China but don't know more about that.

Thanks in advance.

Username: Dizz

Post Number: 1
Hy everybody,
I'm new member so i wondered if you could help me.
I have c-352 nad amplifier and monitor audio b2 speakers and i'm not satisfied with the sound they produce.I thinking of replacing my m-audio with jbl e or es series.
Please tell me you're opinion.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 770
Steven, Just a suggestion - please provide the other components you have as well so that you might get more helpful responses.

Nemanja, two opinions. My first opinion is that my opinion is of little use to you. Your ears will tell you far more than anyone here can. My second opinion is that you should start a separate thread rather than hijack this one.

Post Number: 2
Sem,

The CD is Marantz SA8001 cd player; I've not bought the amplifier, but I opt to Marantz PM7001, just a little afraid about it's power output.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2594
If you want B&W 705s, get a better amplifier than a Marantz PM7001. It doesn't have the clean current to make the B&Ws sing.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1090
Steven, I have the SA8001 myself, and have it paired with the KEF iQ3 speakers in wonderful balance.

To my ears, the new 600 series is tubby sounding, with a thickness in the lower midrange and bass, and has a soft treble. I do not find them to suit my ears. Some people definatly do, just not me.

IMHO, the 600 series benefits more when it is paired with CD player that is more forward in the treble, such as one of the Rotel designed units.

Being that B&W owns Rotel, I highly doubt that this is coincidental.

Before I bought the 8001 I also owned a Rotel unit, so I am well aware of the sonics of both units. Marantz players have their supporters as well as detractors. Detractors will state that the highs are not as transparant or bright as on other CD players (such as the Rotel I mentioned).

Personally, I feel it is more transparent than the Rotel due to the nature that the highs are not thrust at you, and are grain free. However, if you mate it with equipment that rolls off the highs you could be in for a surprise...and not the good kind.

I would be wary of the 600 series with your equipment unless you can get an in-home trial.

Post Number: 3
Stu Pitt,

Why do you think PM7001 doesn't have clean current? I saw most of review about the amplifier are so positive. Please don't mistake me, I am not judging your opinion, just want to get more information.

And, if you think PM7001 is not good for B&W, how about use it for KEF? Thanks.

Post Number: 4
Gavin,

Thanks for your information. It makes much senses to me.

I noticed, the crossover of KEF iQ3 is 2.7khz and B&W 685,705,805s is ranged from 3.7khz to 4khz. It's a so much difference! Does the crossover has something to do with what you observed treble roll-off?

On the other hand, it was said that B&W 705 is so bright and 685 is warm. So, how do you think pair a B&W 705 with my Marantz SA8001?

About KEF iQ3: it seems not in the same price range with B&W 685. If I have a little more dollors to spend ( about $1000 ), what's your suggestion? What is the next higher/better loudspeaker in KEF?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1102
The KEF XQ10, which is $1400US.

http://www.kef.com/products/xq07/global/productRange_xq10/default.aspx

Post Number: 5
Thank you Gavin. Because Kef XQ10 is about the same price with B&W 705, so does anyone compared these two speakers? Thanks.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2595
Steven,

The PM7001 is a good integrated for the money. At its price point it compares comparably for possibly favorably (depending on personal preferences) with similarly priced units.

That being said, its just not good enough for B&W 700 series speakers. Neither the speakers nor the 7001 were designed to be used with each other's level of equipment. Physically, the 7001 probably has enough power to run the 705s. But the quality of that power won't get the best out of the 705s.

If you want the 705s, you should look into higher quality (most often read more expensive) amplification. If you're set on the 7001, you should stick with the 600 series like the 685.

I haven't heard the KEFs to make any judgment.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1103
the KEF iQ series is more in line with the pm 7001

Post Number: 6
Stu Pitt,

Got your point. Thanks. Can you also suggest one or two amplifiers for B&W 705s to me? Thanks.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 771
Steven, do a search of this forum for B&W 705 in the "Home Audio" section and you'll turn up lots of previous posts discussing what to match with the 705's. A lot of folks have touted the Rotel/705 as an excellent match. An example -
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=333706#POST333706

Bronze Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 36
nemanja
the jbl es series is pretty crap. try the jbl studio L series (880) or the monitor audio silver (6). for speakers at a lower price you could try infinity. havent listened to them myself but have heard that theyre pretty good

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1104
Pairing Rotel with the 700 series? I wouldn't personally...

Post Number: 7
Gavin,

what you want to say? google searching confirms there are actually many users reporting that Rotel is a best match for B&W.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2597
Rotel is a very good match with B&W IMO. I've heard the Rotel seperates and B&W 700s together numerous times.

For similar money, I personally prefer Paradigm Studios and Rotel though.

Platinum Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2816
As I recall, there is no such thing as a bright B&W speaker. Plenty of bright KEF speakers though...

Mostly, B&W's presentation is a bit big in the bass. OK, in some cases such as CM7s, it's VERY tubby in the bass. The new 68x series does offer a lot of value for money on paper. I find it a bit too big in the bass for myself but it makes up for a lot of ills in its fine midrange and treble, especially in the 683 which has that dedicated midrange FST unit.

The best B&W you've mentioned by far is the 705. Very well made and well judged. However, it needs a lot of room around it to sound good. If it is close to a wall (less than 2 ft) it will boom like the proverbial b4st4rd! It's also very responsive to the signal it's fed with. If you try to drive it with anything cheap it'll show you cheap. If the amp doesn't have a lot of power, it'll scream at you as the amp can't drive the crossover properly.

The high crossover point is actually a benefit, not a hindrance. We most keenly identify changes in pitch in the 2500hz region so placing the crossover point there (as many manufacturers do) goes slap bang in the middle of our most sensitive hearing. By raising the crossover point, B&W avoid the issue (a bit) and integration into the treble unit is easier.

Are there any opther brands of speaker you can listen to? It always helps to compare.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9997
In the B&W lineup, the 6xx and lower are Rotel territory, by design, and the 7xx and above are kind of intended for Classe.
Certainly the 8xx are what B&W bought Classe for.
But that's just the sales stuff, no reason for a 7xx not to run a 200wpc Rotel.

Never heard them sound bright, 1072 cdp, 1080 amp and all.
The 702 are very good.

But so are a lot of others...

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1105
"For similar money, I personally prefer Paradigm Studios and Rotel though."

that was where I was going... I felt that the 700 series matched better with Classe than Rotel when I last heard them.

As far as the 700 series being bright, I can't comment. I have not heard them recently.

Post Number: 8
Well, thanks all of your suggestion. Now I think I almost opt for B&W 705. On the amp side, I think I should go to listen Rotel ( Classe seems not popular here ).
So please suggest one or tow Rotel modes for audition. ( What sem gave is RSX-1056, but it's a 5.1 channel receiver, I think I need a pure integreated hifi amp )

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6626
A Rotel integrated and the 705 is not a good match...A Rotel and the 685 are far better together. A system is only as good as it's weakest link...and in some cases the sum of the parts is worse than the weakest link. Classe with the 705 or Rotel and the 685...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10002
Stryvn uses the Studio 60's and Rotel pre+amp to very very good effect.
And he is a good cook and host, as well.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6627
And that relates how?!?!

Platinum Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2825
Nuck,

702s don't exist - never have... :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 772
Steven, I wasn't actually recommending Rotel/B&W. Never even heard them together. I simply used the search tool on this site and did a quick search of B&W 705. The Rotel was mentioned, as were others. Of course none of that does you any good if you unless you can go have a listen to different setups. Only you have a pair of golden ears, they can tell you far more than anyone here can. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Platinum Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2601
A Rotel pre/power should be more than sufficient for the 705s. The 100 watt and up power amps drive the 704 and 703 pretty well. Obviously better quality amplification will give better results.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying the 705 and a Rotel integrated without an audition in a similar sized room as the one it'll go in.

And don't forget about the source.

Post Number: 9
okay ...

Solution A: Rotel pre+amp;
Solution B: Classe

Can you guys please suggest a specific model for each one? Then we can talk about which one would be better, and the prices.

Thank you!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6628
Steven, any Classe amp should do the trick....

Sorry if I seem impatient but you are obviously using a computer...go to the Classe and Rotel websites and do some research....

Post Number: 10
Art,

After the research, i began to believe any Classe should be good, but I simply can *not* afford it :-) B&W 705 is about 1800 USD, but in my searching for Classe, even the cheapest Classe mode seems so much more expensive than a pair of B&W 705.

I only get $1000 - $1200 buget for an amp. If within this price range, there is no an amplifier sufficent to drive B&W 705 good enough£selecting the B&W 705 may be a wrong decision to me :-(

Is there really no a $1000 - $1200 amplifier can do a good job for B&W 705?

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 40
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1210367264

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1210994115

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1210784814

I would hope one of these would do it.
It's up to you as to which one sounds best. I've heard the newer classe stuff with one of B&W 803's (forgot which one) for a few minutes - very nice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thank you snapcat. Prices are attractive. But since I am such a newbie, so I am not going to run any risk to buy a second-hand gear.

Now, ( Because Classe is too expensive to afford ) I just come up with an idea: for B&W 705, how about pair it with:

A) Marantz PM-15S1 ( about $2000, but I can get it about $1300 )
B) Rotel RC-1057/RB-1057 pre+amp ( about $1200 )

Hope I can still get opinions from your folks. Thanks again.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6633
"for B&W 705, how about pair it with:

A) Marantz PM-15S1 ( about $2000, but I can get it about $1300 )
B) Rotel RC-1057/RB-1057 pre+amp ( about $1200 )"

How about NOT, You keep trying to pair the 705's with gear that simply isn't the best match....did you see the gear that snapcat showed you...you acknowledged it by saying thanks...keep looking there, on Audiogon. You will find an amp that really is a good match for the 705's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Okay, I will put an eye on Audiogon ... just, it's second hand and I am a totally newbie:-) And, for a 50lbs bulk, shipping across Pacific Ocean, I am worring it safty and costing :-(

Anyway, I accept your advice.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6636
Audiogon may not be the only good used audio market however I don't know of one in your parts. The other option if you're hooked on B&W is to buy the 685's and a nice Rotel integrated and put on some music and forget about it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thank you. It was said that 685 is so warm, do you think so?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6637
Not really...some folks have complained about them being bright. If folks are commenting on both ends of the scale it's a good indication that the speaker is pretty neutral. That's my impression as well...given that you use complimentary electronics with them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1318
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2301&sc=hf

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/index.htm?cat=21

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=24

There, now go and listen to some music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thank you so much Art!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Nick,

It's suprising you suggested me go for RA-1062 rather than RX-1052. By reading the specification, it seems RX-1052 is a better product than RA-1062, and it also cost extra $200. On the other hand, RX-1052 is 200 watt and RA-1062 is merely 60 watt. Am I right?

For the CDP, I have already bought the Marantz SA8001 a week before. How do you compare it with what you suggested RCD-1072? Will my non-Rotel CDP be a problem for B&W 685?

Thank you.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6639
The 1062 is an integrated amp and sounds better than the 1052 which is a receiver...although the 1052 doesn't sound bad...I used to own it.

The Marantz CD player is warmer and more forgiving than the Rotel which has a more forward and detailed presentation. I don't think it would be a problem running the 1062/8001/685 system...should sound very nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1319
Steven- The RX-1052 is 100 watts per channel as to the RA-1062 at 60 watts per channel. I feel if your looking for a two channel system that an integrated amp is the way to go. Not to say a receiver is a totally bad choice. But giving the fact that you are taking the Radio portion out of the equation should provide you with better floor noise, and slightly cleaner sound. If you were to go with either the RA-1062 or RX-1052, I would still recommend no higher than the 685's. And the 685's should do just fine with 60 watts per channel.

I can't comment on how the Marantz cd player will mix with Rotel/B&W. I didn't realize you had already purchased it. I should have read more closely. Only your ears can tell you if you like it. If you don't, sell it and buy the 1072 by Rotel for that all mighty synergy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1320
Sorry Art, I crossed posts with you bud.

Steven- Art knows Rotel as well as anybody, I would listen to what he has to say.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Art & Nick,

Thanks for you told me Integrated Amplifier is not equal to Receiver! I am so happy I've learned this :-) Now, I think, a receiver = an integrated amp + FM tuner or somthing else not so important to HiFi. Am I right this time?

Just a little doubt: If RA-1062 is better than RX-1052 in sound, why it is $200 cheaper than RX-1052? The FM tuner costs the extra $200?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1321
YES, basically your are paying for the man hours and expense of the FM Tuner and them having to put it into that unit. Plus perhaps the power supply was bigger and more expensive. Integrated amplifiers will usually run slightly cheaper, but perform better. Thats why they are always a solid choice over a two channel receiver. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1322
I would take the 200 dollars you save on the RA-1062 and put it into some really nice Interconnects.

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 41
Steven,
Didn't know that you were across the Pacific. Audiogon may not work well for you... most people only want to ship within North America, but if you see something that has not sold for quite some time that might create more flexibility.

When I auditioned the 683's I listened thru the Rotel 1052 reciever and a Marantz CDP (forgot which model, but relatively recent). I also listened to the 685's. The 683's had more forward presence and detail than the 685's to my ears and more bass (as expected), but not more boomy bass like the 603s3's have (which seems to be extremely dependent on proximity to the wall behind them). I think the choice between the 683 and 685 depends on the size of your room and your preference for the amount of bass desired. I have not heard the 705 or CM1. I have heard the CM7's with all Rotel gear several times (1072 cdp/1068 processor/1095 amp) - very detailed with soundstage wider than the speaker placement... not much bass for my ears. The 683/Rotel 1052/Marantz cdp combo did not achieve the same level of soundstage width as the all Rotel/CM7 setup (however, it was a different room).

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1106
I admit that I despise the sound of the 600 series B&W speakers, just like Frank can't stand mine.

It is all personal preference in the end :-)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6644
Ah Gav you haven't heard mine with the B&W amp...very sweeeeet!

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1107
lol art... very true.

but under the conditions, the salesman even admitted to me that he did not care for the new 600 series monitors, and felt that the bass was overdone in the 685.

FWIW, the room was supporting a pair of 802 diamonds on a MAC component rig, so it wasn't that the room was shoebox sized.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6646
Mine are the 610i with a sealed enclosure...very tight, driven by 49 very sweet watts...

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1108
it is necessary to note that I bought my speakers from a full line B&W dealer, so the 600 series is going to be the least favorite of the bunch when asking around...

and of course the 685 will not sound as good as the 802D (among the best I've heard...unbelievable tweeter)

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1109
610i... have to look 'em up.

the 802D / MAC kit were amazing to hear, listened to my recordings I brought with me on them to get a reference standard. The highs so clean and clear, the driver completely gets out of the way. The only way I can describe the sound is by "lack of coloration".

By comparison, my KEF speakers sound closed in and slow in the treble (they should, for half the tax on the 802D).

Even so, I thought negatively of the B&W 685 after the ability to establish a reference point right before, on reference grade equipment. The KEF just sounded more open and true to life using the same equipment.

I don't dislike B&W speakers (far from it).

just don't care for the new 600 series, and really didn't care for the models they replaced in the least.

But, this is going off of 2-3 auditions in the same listening room, with the same equipment. I am going to have to find another dealer with the 685 just to see if my opinions change due to room / equipment interaction. They have reviewed very well, and many people love them.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6647
I really like mine for the $40 I paid for them...Viva B&W...

I like your KEF's Gav they're a very nice speaker.

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1110
they do sound the best with smooth and/or warm sounding equipment. I tried them on a full Rotel kit in hifi shop, and that was aggressive. With my Pioneer Elite / Marantz combo, they have a rich, smooth sound and image incredibly.

I briefly put them on a mac integrated for giggles, but that was painful (not to my ears, but I wanted it)

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1111
$40...? can't beat that!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yesterday I went for an audition of 705 and 685 in a local store of my city.

Firstly, it's so happy to me to report that the 705 to me is not, as many people reported, too bright at all. The treble is wonderful! Actually, I hope it can be even a little more bright :-) I like it very much!

Both the 705 and 685 were placed on a Dali's stand, because they did not have a right stand on hand. So the base is not so good to my ears.

But the salesman demostrate the two speakers on Marantz PM-15S1. They did not have a Rotel to run. The guy just tell, before B&W owned the Rotel, everyone admit that Marantz is the best match for B&W speakers and he think the PM-15S1 is obsulutely wonderful amp to pair the 705. How do you think?

The guy also told me, the secret in how to use Marantz with B&W is the speaker lines. He told me I need pay at least $300 for the lines. My God!

I think I can not fully believe what the salesman said. And I really want to listen the combination of B&W 685 + Rotel RA-1065 with affordable lines. I have to wait ...

Platinum Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1231
SW,

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Trust your instincts.

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1112
well... we have all told you not to use the 7001 with the 700 series Bowers speakers due to the speakers better drivers and the need for more current than the power supply can reliably supply constantly.

That would be like placing a Yugo engine in a Vette.

Platinum Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1113
also, the 15s1 is supposedly a higher grade component than the 7001, so ideally it should be (not always however) able to cope with more difficult and revealing speaker loads than the less expensive stablemate.

I have not heard this unit, so I can't confirm or deny this, but the 7001 I found to be very sterile when driving a pair of B&W XT-4 speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Got it. And, I keep listening from this forum while waiting for a Rotel RA1065 + B&W 685 combo.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1114
I believe you will be very satisfied with that combo, much more than if you had mismatched components.

Put it this way... You wouldn't use an economy car to tow a yacht. economy cars are noted for fuel economy, not horsepower. Same goes for audio components... you need to mate of a certain "grade" together to allow for a certain synergy.

Those excellent speakers will allow all the warts of the budget upstream components to come through loud and clear, like a bright, grainy CD player and weak amp power supply.

in the end, it is all about compromise, because even the most revered equipment (I was stunned by the 802D's effortless highs, likely the best tweet I have heard) is still a compromise in the end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
"I believe you will be very satisfied with that combo, much more than if you had mismatched components."

Gavin, to make it clear: what combo did you mean? the Rotel RA1065 + B&W 685? I need to get some confidences.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1115
I meant the Rotel and B&W combo

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2607
Steven,

Hold off judgement on the stuff until you hear it all together. Not that I'm saying the 705s are bright, but paired up with Marantz, any brightness would definitely be hidden. Marantz is warm, soft, and slow sounding to my ears.

I'm not a fan of Marantz at all. Their upper end gear does nothing for me, other than put me to sleep. Its the audio equivalent of watching golf on Sunday afternoon IMO. A lot of people like it, I have no idea why. Their highest end stuff included.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
ZzzZZzzzzZZzzzZZZZZZzzzZZzzzzZZzzZZzZzZ

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1117
lol....

I do like the CD players, but do feel that the warm and mellow will be too much of a good thing with the 600 series. It will turn your system into a sonic borefest with those speakers and a marantz integrated IMHO. I could be wrong, only you know that answer :-P

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10028
I will watch Tiger win the Masters this weekend, Stu...but with RnR on audio.

hehehehehehe

Guys, swapping part to make the whole thing work is just a letdown.
Build it from your needs from the start.

A 'house' sound or a rep might be ok, but until you spin your tunes on the kit and put thumbs up or down...

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 29
"The guy just tell, before B&W owned the Rotel, everyone admit that Marantz is the best match for B&W speakers"

Salesman will always tell you that what they have in stock just happens to be the best for what you're looking for...run away, run away....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6670
Honest salesmen won't and their are plenty of them...a bit to general.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2867
We almost never have anything good in stock available for you to walk out with. Most of our stuff is available to order. The reasoning goes like this.

I have a pot of money. I have two options.

1. I can keep stock in boxes in my stock room and demo a certain number of things to customers.

2. I can keep very little stock in the stock room and demo more things to my customers.

Customers want choice in buying purchases, so number 2 is preferable, but many customers want to buy things and walk away with them so number 1 is preferable.

We choose to stock very small numbers of items in the stock room (literally one or two, and mainly of the cheaper stuff) and plough all our money into demonstration stock so customers get as much choice as possible, given the limitations of our pot of money.

Not sure if this is on topic actually...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us