Power novice

Username: Guymann

Post Number: 1
i have just moved in to my new house. my friend got me a deal on the following Definitive Technology in-ceiling/outdoor speakers
1) 2 AW-100 outdoor speakers, freq. resp. 50-30 KHz, rec. amp. 10-175 watts p/c
2) 6 UIW 64/A in-ceiling speakers, freq. resp. 28-30 KHz, rec. amp. 10-200 watts p/c, imp. 4-8 ohms
3) 2 UIWBP2/A in ceiling speakers, rec. amp. 10-300 wats p/c, imp. 4-8 ohms.

my question; what type of amp/pre-amp will i need to power this rig? how many watts p/c? my receiver isn't too powerful so i know it won't power all 10 of these speakers...
is it possible to power all these thru one receiver? if so, how much is needed?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
The best choice is to find a receiver that has zone two capability. This will allow you to send a second source to the remote speakers (CD perhaps) while listening/viewing a primary source in the main location (DVD or HDTV). The zone two output is fed to a multi channel amplifier with as many channels as needed for the installation, in your installation 10 would be required. The amplifier should provide a way to shut off individual locations and have some level trimming capacity. After that, depending on your installation you will probably want volume controls in each location. Be careful with these as they are a constant source of problems on this forum. Read a few posts to see some of the problems you might face. Look under things such as "Amplifier fried" or "Can't get sound from ...". I'm sure their will be folks who will suggest certain brands to consider. My advice would be to get a competent installer/dealer and give your business to them as doing otherwise is another frequent source of complaints. Read some of the threads on this forum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us