Which to upgrade?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2811
Back in early September, I bought a Pioneer Elite Vsx-91txh.

It is much better than the old receiver I was using and I could turn the volume up a good bit more without loss of fidelity.

The volumes I listen at are usually pretty moderate, but sometimes I like to CRANK it on some music that I really like.

I want something that will both sound "better" at normal volume levels as well as levels that would be defined as...obnoxious.

I have to choose one other the other for now, so will it be a speaker or amp upgrade?

When I turn it up, the woofers are reaching their limits (I need a good subwoofer system..) and the highs start ringing.

I am thinking I want to upgrade the speakers, but I also know that a lot of speakers need lots of power (or the ability to handle very reactive loads, I should say).

So, the question is, will the amplifier section in a Pioneer Elite 91 be able to power what I might end up picking?

-thanks for your help

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12386

No, it will not because of the dynamic compression which occurs as you dump more and more power into a voice coil and get less and less out.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwr-vs-eff.htm

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2812
Reading that article made the drivers that I have chosen for my subwoofer system stick out as a good choice (I ran into a very large delay).

I have a feeling I will end up with Studio 60s or 100s because I have heard them with my type of music and liked it.

We'll see what happens.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9947
Hello again, Andre.
Problem:not loud enough
Solution:more sensitive speakers

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2813
I think we have been over this before

My friends are crazy and listen at much higher levels than I do. I want it to be fuller sounding than it is now. My speakers roll off slightly from 80 to 40hz, where it drops off sharply below that. When I have a full-sounding system, the urge to turn it up in an attempt to make it fuller sounding is gone.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9951
Well a change of speakers certainly seems in order.
I need a little more power meself, but to each his/her own.
The Paradigm studio 60's are more highly regarded than the 100's, Especially since the iv series, Paradigm went downhill with the 100 iv's, IMO.
The 60's are very good.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1299
Andre, if your ever going to spend the money on the Studio 100's, do yourself a favour and listen to the Paradigm Signature Bookshelves. Roughly the same price and sound much much nicer than the Studio 100's. IMO I can hardly tell the difference between the Studio V3's and the V4's. THe Monitor series is where Paradigm really went down hill, and their Signature line is where they really up'd the anti. Nuck is right though, the star of the Studio line IMO is the 60's. Price to Performance their hard to beat in all margins.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12394
If you want SPL's, buy efficient speakers with high sensitivity. Read the article, it spells out why. 90dB is not a high efficiency speaker.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2814
The SPL is just fine..

It's the displacement limitations that have me annoyed. I was playing a song just now..the woofers (4 low displacement 12s) could not handle the bass..and the bass they did produce was not of very good quality.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12403

"Displacement limitations"?

Andre, all you have to say is, "My speakers suck for the crap I put through them."

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2815
I wouldn't quite word it that way though..

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1093
"my speakers suck for the crap I put them through" is more like it...

here is my recommendation to you...

JBL VERTEC
Meyersound Milo
Nexo Geo-T
L'Acoustics V-Dosc
Community Airforce
EAW Avalon

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1144
my advice still stands true