Upgrading PC Speaker System....Suggestions?

Username: Pgee

Post Number: 1
Hi Folks,
Been lurking around here for a year or so, finally decided to post after deciding to upgrade my PC speakers...

Currently have Altec ACS 340s with sub..
Finally ripped entire music collection to PC (4000+ cds) so I'm not going back to traditional (tuner,amp, speaker) set up. Not opposed to the Bose system (have owned Bose, JBLs, B&Ws). I'd like to keep the cost under $500, but really want a quality speaker system since this is all I use for listening to tunes and watching movies...

No need to debate Bose sound here, I'm interested in knowing what you guys think about which speakers can do the music justice when running from a PC...

Thanks for your help

Bronze Member
Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 49
I'd suggest either a pair of powered studio monitors by Swan Audio, M-Audio, or Alesis which would run you $150-300, or a T-Amp (Trends Audio from audiomagus.com is my rec) with a USB DAC and a pair of decent bookshelf speakers like the Infinity Beta 20s. Google up these names and you'll get pricing info.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy Bose.

http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

http://www.firstadopter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6284

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2567
Maybe I'm way off, but try to find out how much the Dynaudio powered monitors run. They're supposed to be very good.

I've heard these are supposed to be pretty good for the money as well -

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82159

Available in black, white, or silver. I haven't heard them nor the Dyns, but a Google search should bring up some opinions.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1145
"Finally ripped entire music collection to PC (4000+ cds) so I'm not going back to traditional (tuner,amp, speaker) set up."

FWIW, that really isn't a reason to ditch the traditional setup.

I personally stream music to my stereo wirelessly via an Apple Airport Express which connects to my receiver with a SPDIF to Toslink cable, and has the benefit of being a wireless router as well. There are also a number of other options, such as the Squeezebox, although AFAIK the Apple is the most affordable option (about 100 bucks).

However, if you are determined to ditch a traditional setup, I'd probably stick with powered studio monitors. KRK and Wharfedale spring to my mind for starters there.

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help so far
I guess I should have mentioned that I need the speakers to rest on the desk with my video monitor (Dynaudio's aren't shielded), plus wife is "over" the stereo components taking up valuable space (a Martha Stewart magazine naturally takes priority)

Will check out all of your ideas...keep 'em coming..

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010370060+50001793& name=M-AUDIO

The $400/pair BX8a's probably don't even need a sub, if they really go down to 40Hz as claimed.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 673
If you haven't already bought something Paul don't go with the trends t-amp recommendation. Or any t-amp. I owned a Winsome Labs Mouse and yes it was powerful and funky. Yes the music was detailed and balanced all the way through the volume control but it was so boring!! It has no musicality at all-i'd been warned of this by dealers but still I learn through my own mistakes. A loss of money later through custom charges and a new Marantz amplifier later, music was music again.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 67
Having once owned a Marantz PM7200, I would have to disagree. I find the Trends much, much more musical and interesting. I have also heard the Winsome amp and wasn't that crazy about it. It has lots more power than the Trends but lacks sweetness. The Marantz wasn't outright BAD or anything, just too rolled off in the highs and surprisingly slow and weak in the bass attack and decay department; very surprising considering the big difference in size, price and power.

Silver Member

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 677
O really? Well the pm7200 is discontinued now isnt it? So I dont know how it compares to the newer stuff but I'm pleased with my Marantz. Rolled off highs=perfect for me I hate too much treble. I agree the bass is slow that's its only flaw in true opinion but also in true opinion I think its a good thing at the same time. I also use a sub and port bungs for my speakers and the overall sound is very pleasing! What speakers did you use with your 7200?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 262
A Martha Stewart magazine takes priority?
Cat Box liner, if that.

Silver Member

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 678
What you trying to say leo?

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 68
I was running some Focal bookshelves, before I changed them out for the Ascend 170s I currently have (which I found stunningly better for about 1/3 of the price, btw). I could see how using a sub for the Marantz would make up for the bass deficiencies, though.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 264
Without regard to the literary benefits of a Martha Stewart magazine, you need a 'priority' place for the stereo or HT setup.
That something as moveable as a magazine takes precedence over fixed installation like the stereo or HT is not rite.

If Paul takes offense at my Martha Stewart crack, please allow him to defend himself.

Bronze Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 92
Paul, no offense, but what is wrong with your current system? What do you want it to do that it cannot.

Do you just want to spend some money on it?

Or do you really wish to improve on it?

I would recommend deciding what you want your system to ultimately end up like (realistically)?

Then start buying nice pieces that get you there as funds permit.

For example..... Say your end goal is a very nice 2 channel system for music with the ability to play 5.1 from time to time for movies. All your media will be sourced from your PC/Mac.

You can then determine what you should get first, what you dont have, what you can sell etc...

If you just want PC "powered" speakers, and simply plan to put them adjacent to your monitor on the desk..... i dont know what is wrong with what you have.

If you desire a true audiophile experience, your best bet with your set-up and budget might be a nice DAC with a headphone preamp.

Otherwise, really consider what you want, how much you can spend, now and in the future, and come back here with more ammo.

Bronze Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 93
Lastly,

Without a "traditional (tuner, amp, speaker) set up", as you refer to it, I dont know how else you would plan to make sound?

Currently, and in any set-up, you will have amplifiers, speakers and "sources". Regardless of whether the amps are in the speakers, or your radio station comes via USB from your PC.

It sounds like your goal is as few "boxes" as possible.

If so, a good option would be an integrated amp with an internal USB DAC. They can be found on the cheap, even in tubed varieties.

Then you would only need a pair of speakers, and speaker wire.

It would be tough to do this piece meal, and for under $500. Meaning.... if you bought a set of passive speakers for $500, you wouldn't be able to use them until you got and amp.

If you spend $500 on active speakers, then you will have to wait to get a decent DAC. And you wouldn't be able to use them if you ever got an integrated.

See what I mean about seeing your goal?

It can save you from buying needless items and wasting money making sideways moves.

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys I've been at the beach for a while and didn't take a computer.

Re: Martha Stewart, bottom line is if you are married (are you?) then some things you don't argue with, that is, if you want to listen to your favorite late night sounds, then you place the damn equipment where it leads to less hassle.

Patrick - great ideas, could you maybe link some of the things you are talking about so I can check them out?

Right now I am running some nice Bose Companion 5's (bought at Sam's Club, so I have a year to return them) and they really fit the bill.....

But I'm always up for something else....today I listened to some bootleg Stones (MSG '98), some Delbert McClinton (latest live album) and some Horowitz (The Poet)....

Also I've been jamming to some cool old videos on YouTube, like this one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-loYwaCJI&feature=related

Thanks for the recs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us