Dynaudio Audience 72 - Problem with the driver

Username: Hifijunky

Post Number: 2
Hi guys,

I am newbie in the hifi area. I wish to collect some idea before I approach the dealer with the problem. Here is my problem.

I have bought Audience 72 a couple of weeks back. I was listening to my AV receiver(Marantz SR5002) without a problem. I brought NAD 325BEE AMP & 521BEE CDP for a demo. I realized that one of the driver in the speaker (woofer driver-- lower one) was not working properly.The driver was not completely dead.

I then fed the same signal (channel) to both the speakers (using A-B setup) using my AV receiver and it cemented my hunch further. There was a substantial difference between the two speakers in terms of overall sound. The sound was thin on the problem speaker with less of bass.

How this could happen? Any ideas? Is it normal? Should I try something else to verify?

Both the speakers run the same cable length (5 mts each).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tarun

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6573
If they are still under warranty I would contact your dealer and sort it out together.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Art. I guess I will ask my dealer for a replacement.

Tarun

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12370

Are the speakers positioned in similar locations? If one speaker is close to a wall or corner it will have more bass boost due to its proximity to a reflecting surface than a speaker sitting out away from any such boundaries.

Post Number: 4
I swapped the speaker positions and did not cause any difference. The problem speaker was easily distinctive.

Thanks,
Tarun

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2795
Tarun,

This is very unusual for a Dynaudio speaker. The only situation I have ever found a driver to be broken was through inappropriate use of the speaker - i.e. by playing it to distortion and breaking it.

For what it's worth, the NAD C325BEE is nowhere near good enough and does not have nearly enough power to run an Audience 72 adequately. I would not be surprised if this caused the problem and if your dealer took the same view.

You can test if the driver is broken, by placing your fingertips gently against the driver and pushing in and out. There should be no signal going through it. If there is any friction or rubbing, the driver is broken and needs to be replaced. You do not need to buy matched pairs as far as I know.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Frank!

The driver does work at slightly higher volume. It is not completely broken. I am not sure whether the NAD amplifier would have caused this. Still at that level, there is sound difference between two which is very much noticeable.

Tarun

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2802
Is there any rubbing or friction on the faulty driver? It'll still come out with something, just not very much.

Post Number: 6
No, there is nothing like that. I got the complete speakers replaced anyway :-). It sounds balanced now. Thanks to everyone.

Tarun

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9969
great!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us