Total newbie looking for help!

Username: Darkhound

Post Number: 1
Hello,

Hopefully one of you experts can help me out. I'm getting married and a relative is insisting on buying me a gift. So what the heck, I've always wanted speakers, so I decided to go for that. I have little idea about what a good speaker entails, having only researched online for an hour or so.

They have to be bookshelf speakers (I'm transporting them on an airplane after purchase) and the price range is around 1000USD, possibly a bit higher. I listen to a whole bunch of stuff... violin, symphony, rock, jazz, vocals. I also hope to hook it up to my TV if that's possible, making it part of my surround system in the future.

I live in a smallish condo, but will be moving to a bigger room/house in a couple years, if that makes any difference.

Soo... what are the best bookshelf speakers out there for $1000 bucks?

Any other info I should provide?

Thanks so much!

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 107
Welcome John.

Don't think I'm putting you off, but it's very difficult for us to give you any suggestions without knowing more about what you are looking for and I doubt you are able to tell us that after one hour of research.

Also, why would you want to haul these things with you as opposed to buying them when you get settled. In other words, tell the relatives to give you a check and you'll figure it out later. Do more research and consider what else these will be paired with so you can match them up properly and whether your system will be used for mostly HT or audio, etc.

Besides, money is much easier to carry on airplanes.

Congratulations BTW.

Username: Darkhound

Post Number: 2
Thanks Neil. I'd normally do what you suggest, but it's a bit tough to do extensive research because I'm away on travel visiting these relatives. I just feel weird asking for a check. It feels better going around with them, testing and picking out this gift. We have a few dealers we're going to visit, but I thought some of you might be able to point to a few personal favorites or something.

What do you mean by: "consider what else these will be paired with so you can match them up properly?" I'm a real newbie.

As for the split between HT and audio, I think it would be 50-50.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1856
John, the fact is even if you can tell us what will be driving these speakers, we can only suggest what we like and the thing is what we like may not be what your ears like. You really need to listen to a variety of speakers with similar amplification and sources you are using. And that's just for starters - next is the room where you'll be listening to them - dimensions, carpet, timber, soft furnishings or hard, lots of glass or not and on it goes.

Maybe you'd like a new razor instead.

Kidding - anyway try to give as much info as you can and the good people here will make suggestions - but in the end it's your money (no, your relatives' money) and it's your ears. So audition, audition and audition if at all possible. The more you put into buying them the longer you'll have them.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 151
Go listen where you are......you can probably take delivery where you are going to live.

I couldn't imagine taking a pair of speakers on an airplane! If you packed them they would get stolen or abused. Buy 'em a ticket? That's it! Buy 'em a seat.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us