Less Bass On One Technics 1210 Than The Other.

Username: Rosssidey

Post Number: 1
I seem to be getting less bass on one of my decks than the other, have eliminated everything else including the cartridge, so I know it is definately the deck. Would of normally assumed it was the phono lead but am getting same strength signal on the mixer, from both decks. Not sure If have had this problem for a while or not, as it is only now Ive started recording my records onto my PC and noticed the problem when listening back to my recordings. Its not so obvious when just listening to the deck play.

Last and only time I changed my phono leads I used a phono to phono with an earth wire and just cut it in two (One for each deck). Wasn't until had done the job I noticed the phono cable I used had signal direction arrows on it so obviously the arrows are going the wrong way on one of the decks, could this be the problem, and if so why is the deck with less bass the one with the arrows going in the correct direction.....Phew..... hope Ive not confused you all too much.

Thx

Ross

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12355

The direction of the cable will not affect bass response. Are the two tables of the same vintage/age?

Post Number: 2
Both cables are the same age.

Could the direction of the cable affect the sound in any other way?

Post Number: 3
Not 100% sure it is just less bass on one deck or just a weaker signal over all. Although as I said in my initial post Im getting the same strength signal on the mixer from both decks.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12357

No, the direction of the cable will not affect bass levels.

Are the "tables" the same age? Is everything exactly identical? Have you tried swapping cables and inputs on your mixer?

Post Number: 4
both turntables are the same age, and everything is identical have tried different channels on mixer

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9883
Have you measured any relevant voltages?

Post Number: 5
no! how would i do this?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12358

Swap cartridges from table to table and listen again.

Post Number: 6
dont understand how u can measure voltages by swapping cartridges and listening again?

Post Number: 7
sorry thought last two posts were from same person. Have tried swapping cartridges already to no avail.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12365

Therefore, as far as you can detect, the "problem" is inherent to one cartridge? The other works properly in either table?

Post Number: 8
no, the problem is the deck, the cartridges are fine.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12366

I'm sorry to tell you there is nothing in the deck that should make less bass in one unit than another. The only thing left to suggest is take both units to a technician and ask them to make the comparison. If they confirm your impressions, then they will have to determine what could cause the problem. There's nothing else I can suggest if you've eliminated the possibly of all other reasonable causes. I am not familiar with anything in the signal path between the cartridge leads and the lead out cables that would result in less bass response.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us