Revel or paradigm...help

Username: Ptarmigan07

Post Number: 2
I need help with my final decision! Over the last two weeks I've listened to the following: Paradigm signature s8 and studio 100s, B&W 803D, Thiel 2.4, Dynaudio contour s5.4, PSB Platinum, Definitive 7000 STs, and Revel F52. I'm going to write my full reviews later this week. I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Paradigm Signature 5.1 System: S8s as my fronts, S4s as my rears, and a C5 center.
Revel Performa 5.1 System: F52s as my fronts, F32s as my rears, and a C52 center.

I cannot afford the .1 part at this time, because both system are 2K over my original budget, the sub will have to wait.

The paradigms, B&W, and dynaudios all sounded very similar. Of the three I preferred the paradigms by a slight margin. I felt the definitive speakers were decent in home theater applications, but lacked the fine details of their more expensive competitors. The Revels just had a different sound altogether.

The paradigms had more refined sounding high frequencies. The revels midrange had a tendency to overpower the highs. The revels however, had unlimited power handling. The revels were connected to 500w monoblocks and never flinched when the volume was turned up to deafening levels. The paradigms seem more about beauty and the revels seem more about authority and power. My problem is, I like both! I'm going to go back one more time before deciding. Both systems are being offered at the exact same price, so there's no cost/performance issues to consider.

What do you guys think about Revel overall as a brand? Has anyone else auditioned the S8s vs. the F52s?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6430
Both are great systems...too big an investment to not be thoroughly satisfied. Go back and have another listen. Be sure to take material that you are familiar with.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1246
Can't say I have ever heard the Revel setup before. I have heard the S8 setup and must say it is something else. Very very very good setup. Art is right, both setups are too good to not make sure you, yourself, know which one you like the most. With investing that kind of money into speakers, you really have to make sure John. No regrets man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us