Worth it?

Username: Szelitch

Post Number: 1
Inherited some BMI 5A speakers for free. Bought new copper wires to connect to the source button thingy (what's that called in technical terms?) but here's the problem: They play great until audio with particularly heavy bass goes through. Not knowing anything about audio systems (but eager to learn!), what could be the problem here?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12318

What's a BMI 5A?

Post Number: 2
They're pretty standard monitors (I think that's the correct term). Anyway, they're floor speakers, the kind popular in the eighties, that are cased in fake wood, probably about 2'x3'x2' in dimension, with nothing more than the input, output, and a mute button. Opening the front to reveal the sound carrying mechanisms (sorry, don't know the right words) there are three variously sized cones, placed at each vertex of a triangle ... they look pretty beaten up ... could this be my problem?

Not at home right now, but if you'd like a photo I could provide one.

Thanks for your help!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14380
Yes, pic please.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12322

Input, output and a mute button?!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9840
powered monitors?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1245
sounds like powered Studio Monitor speakers for music production? They sound old.

Post Number: 3
Yeah, pretty old. Sorry about the terminology, I'm pretty new at this and taking a lot of guesses.

I did find a label on the back of one that says "Silver - Black, Copper - Red ... Input: red on top, white on bottom" if you think that's important.

In the photos you can see the full speaker (there are two) the BMI logo (in case that sheds some light) and the black thingy in the back, the red thingy in the back, and what I call the mute button, which functions to turn the speaker off, as far as I can tell. I use this generally has a method of trying to jumpstart the speakers when they are acting up, which is usually a very temporary solution.

Thanksabunch!

more pictures coming soon!

Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12328

So, how do you have these hooked up?

Post Number: 4
Here are the hook-ups. That's copper wire I have leading from the central source button box thing (second and third picture) and then the left and right speakers (first and fourth).

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12330

I think the red button on your speakers is a reset for a circuit breaker type tweeter protection and is not a "mute" button.

Your description and the pictures would lead me to think the speakers don't like music with heavy bass and you're probably playing them with the amplifier well into clipping. Since they were free I assume you won't be too insulted if I say these don't appear to be terrific speakers. You haven't given a description of what's wrong when heavy bass is played through these speakers, so how about telling us?

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your help Jan.

Gotta be honest, no idea what "well into clipping" means.

Basically what happens is when the heavy bass goes through the speakers (like most hip-hop and R&B ... they seem to have something against Stevie Wonder) they will just stop making sound altogether. Sometimes there will be an annoying on-off-on-off pattern, but most of the time they just go off. Jiggling the circuit breaker button sometimes fixes it but not for long.

In your opinion, is this a problem with the speakers or the amplifier?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12332

The music.

You are just asking too much from your amplifier with these speakers if you push the volume with bass heavy music. Try another set of speakers and see if the amp does better. Without knowing more about the speakers and amplifier, that's the only way to find out.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9849
Sam, that is the best answer I have read all week.
It's the music, LOL.
The connections in the speaker do need servicing, and doing so might help the cutout issue.
Also note that mechanical breakers do break down themselves, and do get very noisy with age.
Is this gonna fix 50cent?
Likely not, but if you intend to fixit cheap, have a techie buddy open them if you do not wish to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us