Cassette adapter switching sides constantly..

Username: Broken0

Post Number: 1
I just bought a cassette adapter offline and I tried playing it in my car, but the tape continuously switches the side. Side 2 won't play it as loud as Side 1 so the volume also switches. I'm not sure what brand it is, cause there is no brand name on it and I didn't receive it in a box or anything...it was just in a plastic bag. Anyways, I have a 1996 Mercury Sable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Manualrebello

Kalyan, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 6
move the loops of the cassette adapter with your hands and see if they are free. also when you move one loop make sure that the other also moves with it...this shows that the cassette adapter is a good one and this movement should be smooth. as per the volume drop make sure which side this happens and before tampering with the cassette adapter it would be advisable to clean the car deck head and then go for a trial and error alignment of the cassette adapter head...if you are good with or have a knowledge of how car decks can be opened and how they work then open the car deck and also try aligning the car deck (alignement of the car deck head should be done with a reference cassette of your choice and not with the cassette adapter)...I hope this helps...if not then u can trouble me anytime...take care

Username: Soulz

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone,

I'm having the side-switching issue that a lot of others seem to have. I just went out the other day and bought a Belkin cassette adapter and immediately got the side-switching issue as soon as I first tried using it.

I did some researching and came along these forums, and I finally decided to open up the adapter to see what I could do. I've tried removing certain parts to see if it does the trick, but unfortunately to no avail.

The problem is now when I put everything back in like it normally was when I first bought it, now the cassette makes a weird noise when I put it in, then spits it back out. It doesn't do the side-swapping thing anymore.

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus. My friend's Kenwood adapter worked fine in it, but the wiring on it is really bad, which prompted me to go out and buy the Belkin one. I'll be returning it by the end of the week if I can't get it to work.

Any suggestions on what to remove? Here's a screenshot of how it's currently set up, with everything it came with originally:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5360/dsc00982ko3.png

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Manualrebello

Kalyan, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 11
Did you try to move the loops and see if both of them move freely...also the black bracket...can you remove it, i see there is a screw on it so I guess it can be...let me know if removing that black gear helps...

Username: Soulz

Post Number: 2
Yeah, that entire black part can be removed. I tried removing just that but the cassette just sat in the player and wouldn't let me do anything before it spit it out.

I read somewhere that removing the center gear has worked for some, and I tried that too but no luck. There was another place that mentioned removing the springs and I gave that a shot, but it didn't work either.

I might return it today if I get out. I saw a Philips adapter at Wal-Mart for $10, but it had a notice about cars with the auto-reverse feature. I guess now's a good time to see if that can be disabled on the car.

Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us