Adding a subwoofer? and how to?

Username: Dynaudiof140

ZwolleThe Netherlands

Post Number: 1
Hi fellow audiophiles,

I have give it some thought to add a subwoofer in my audio system (Arcam A80 amp, CD73 cd player and T61 tuner with Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers) I am curious how to connect it (active sub) to my amp. As you know the A80 is just an amplifier and not a receiver with a subwoofer output. Any suggestions would be welcome. And also opinions. How are experiences with a sub in a stereo set up? Does it get any better or is it a big dissapointment? Regards!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1128
What kind of sub is it? Brand and model I mean.

ZwolleThe Netherlands

Post Number: 3
Am thinking of a Rel Quake MKII or a Velodyne CH10R or a Rel T1

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2457
They usually have speaker level inputs. You'd connect the left and right speaker wires to the sub, then from the sub to the speakers.

Your dealer and/or manual should provide all the information you need.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13242
"How are experiences with a sub in a stereo set up? Does it get any better or is it a big dissapointment? Regards!"

As long as you balance the power throughout your system properly it greatly enhances the effect. No doubt especially if you use it for HT.

ZwolleThe Netherlands

Post Number: 4
Last weekend I went to a local hifi shop and talked about adding a sub. They advised me something else. Instead of adding a sub to my system they sugested to change the source, for example a Arcam CD192 or an external DA convertor. This would bring more detail (so also in the lower frequencies) into my system. So I listened an what the ... They were right. They hooked up a CD192 to an Arcam A90 amp and Dyn's Focus 110. Later they added an external DA convertor to the CD192. The sound got more depth, wider and much more detail. The external DA convertor was the Logitech Transporter Network Music Player. Great sound. But when a manufacturer of keybords and computer speakers makes a digital music player which sound better than an Arcam CD192, where does that put Arcam???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us