Replacement woofer impedance

Username: Tsmith48

Post Number: 1
I have an old set of Sansui SP-200 speakers I bought on craigslist for $30. One of the woofers rattles at moderate volume. I'm thinking I could replace the woofers with a pair of 12" car woofers I have access to for next to nothing. I'm not looking for some kind of collector speakers or audiophile level sound from them....just stop the rattling. In the old speakers the tweeters are 16 ohm, the woofer and midranges are 8 ohm. The car woofers are 3.6 ohms. The overall speaker is rated as 8 ohms. http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Literature/Speakers/SP200%202.jpg

In ancient history, when I had a set of 4 ohm small Advents, the store had me install a 2 ohm resistor in line with the speakers to better match the 8 ohm amplifier. Is it possible to similarly replace the old 8 ohm woofer with a 3.6 ohm woofer with a 2 ohm resistor in series with it inside the box and have the resulting combination similar to the original?

I'm hoping to get the project done this week.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12226

Even if you're not looking for quality sound, you'd be better off buying drivers that come closer to matching the original design. Woofers need to mate well with the enclosure and should be of similar impedance and sensitivity. Matching basic parameters of the driver will result in better sound quality than just sticking free drivers into the existing box. Call Parts Express for some help.

http://www.partsexpress.com/index.cfm

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 135
I second Parts Express as a source. I have a set of Sansui SP-7500 speakers and replaced the tweeters (only one out, but replaced both with same unit) with tweeters from Parts Express that came so close to matching the old speakers, I could even reuse the screw mounting holes.

Username: Tsmith48

Post Number: 2
Thanks to you both for the advice. I'll take it. Martin, you're not related to my friend, A.P. VanMeter, who used to design amps and receivers for McIntosh and Phase Linear, are you?

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 137
"Ted"
all VanMeter's (Van Meter, Van Mater, Van Meteren) are related, the family has been traced back to a single individual from Holland who came to the US in 1663 +/-

But to answer your question, no, the possible connection must be way back on the family tree.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us